Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jump Superstars (DS)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

After all the hype this game got, I'm surprised that I've heard almost nothing about its sequel, Jump Ultimate Stars.
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...n-70-1d3q.html

I'm guessing it will be one of those things where it might not be worth it if you already own the original, but definitely an excellent buy otherwise.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Word comes from VGCats:
    Jump Ultimate is the sequel to Jump Superstars. Easily one of my favorite DS games and it's done everything to improve on it. The controls are just as tight with new features like improved dash and ledge holding. Supermoves have all been improved on as well. Lots of new ones to check out. It's now the closest you're going to get to Smash Brothers on the DS.

One HUGE improvment is how you unlock characters. In the old one you'd assemble komas (comics) to create characters. Slowly matching up panels to faces. That was a pain. Now you collect upgrades and points while playing. You use these points to upgrade Komas and thus create new characters. WAY simpler and makes this far more enjoyable.

Another great addition is this thing is online. Used to be only at cons I'd get to be able to play this with others. Now just hope online and play. I'd publish my code but my deck needs SO much work. :B I'm only good at getting my butt kicked right now.

Tons of new characters this time around too. One Piece fans, Franky is playable. The only downside to the game that I can see is that some of the characters got too powerful. Former level 7 characters are now level 6 to keep up with the manga. So you get really powerful really fast. Thankfully to offset this you'll have stages that use unique premade decks in substitute. So it's never always the same. If you're a Jump fan and like Smash Bros I HIGHLY urge you to import this. It's region free.
    I hope this doesn't stay at $60 CDN forever.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have both Superstars and Ultimate Stars, and they're both very much worth it. Ultimate Stars is ever-so-slightly slower, but you only really notice this if you go straight from one to the other.

Unlocking new komas is a hell of a lot easier. Each mission you complete either gets you a help koma or a number of points -- these points can be used to upgrade the help koma in different ways, making support or battle komas, unlocking new evolution paths on other characters, opening new stages or database information, etc...there's no messing around with sticking different characters into empty boxes to see who fits there.

Also it's got online wifi play, which is excellent.

Some of the new characters are also pretty cool. Saint Seiya...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Gee, have we not had another thread about this..? Oh well.

I finally got around to playing Ultimate Stars recently, and it is very enjoyable indeed. I wasn't too sure of the new koma system at first, since it seemed to let you go right ahead and unlock powerful stuff that only became available towards the end of Super Stars... but then, towards the end you start unlocking even more ridiculously powerful stuff.

Anyone been playing this on wi-fi?

One thing I haven't been able to figure out: on Mission 4 of the Boss Tower (the last level of J-Blackhole) and Mission 3 of Planet "U", there's this weird but insanely powerful support character that looks like some guy riding a white duck and throwing fireballs everywhere. I thought it might just be a special attack of Ryotsu (the KochiKame guy), but it doesn't seem like it. Which character is it?