Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Games Are Overrated to You? Underrated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What Games Are Overrated to You? Underrated?

This is a thread for discussing what games you think are overrated or underrated, and for other people to comment on them. Overrated, been done before, but I did a quick search for underrated and the last discussion was about 9 months ago (I only checked the top ten, if you'd like too, you can check through the other 863 threads).

-Asteroids (can't remember). I hate this game. I hate the control, I hate everything. Galaga is so much better.

-Grand Theft Auto 3/Vice City/San Andreas (PS2): First off, this is a fun game, and I do admit I play them every once in a while (I don't do missions, I just put in ammo and weapon cheats, go atop a building, and play God), but this game isn't the greatest game ever.

-Megaman series (NES): Don't get me wrong, these are good (not great, GOOD) video games, but they're not nearly as great as Mario or Ninja Gaiden.

Metal Gear Solid (NES) - I never liked this game, but I play it every now and then to see if I can get into it. Long story short, no I cannot. Initially, I didn't like Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (the first Metal Gear Solid I played), but it grew on me. This one, however, doesn't seem to likely I'll EVER enjoy it.

-Silent Hill (PSX): I bought Silent Hill because of the hype over it. Needless to say, I was less then pleased. What was an average game was being hyped up to be some sort of godsend for fans of horror. It's an ok game, with interesting ideas, but it could never pull it all off with me.

-Tetris (NES). I can play Tetris every now and then, but it's not really all that fun. I'd probably give it a D+.

-Tomb Raider (PSX): This game is just terrible. I'm not sure what it is I don't like about it...I just hate it.

Underated games:

-King of Fighters '99 (PSX, Arcade): This was a great fighting game! Me and my dad used to play this a lot. Then again, I like pretty much all fighting games (within reason).

-Mr. Nutz (SNES): I grew up on this game, as well as others, and have to admit: this little red squirrel provided me with so much fun! I haven't played it in a few years and never got past the second boss, but it was fun trying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Default Re: What Games Are Overrated to You? Underrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Cow
    This is a thread for discussing what games you think are overrated or underrated, and for other people to comment on them. Overrated, been done before, but I did a quick search for underrated and the last discussion was about 9 months ago (I only checked the top ten, if you'd like too, you can check through the other 863 threads).

-Asteroids (can't remember). I hate this game. I hate the control, I hate everything. Galaga is so much better.

-Grand Theft Auto 3/Vice City/San Andreas (PS2): First off, this is a fun game, and I do admit I play them every once in a while (I don't do missions, I just put in ammo and weapon cheats, go atop a building, and play God), but this game isn't the greatest game ever.

-Megaman series (NES): Don't get me wrong, these are good (not great, GOOD) video games, but they're not nearly as great as Mario or Ninja Gaiden.

Metal Gear Solid (NES) - I never liked this game, but I play it every now and then to see if I can get into it. Long story short, no I cannot. Initially, I didn't like Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (the first Metal Gear Solid I played), but it grew on me. This one, however, doesn't seem to likely I'll EVER enjoy it.

-Silent Hill (PSX): I bought Silent Hill because of the hype over it. Needless to say, I was less then pleased. What was an average game was being hyped up to be some sort of godsend for fans of horror. It's an ok game, with interesting ideas, but it could never pull it all off with me.

-Tetris (NES). I can play Tetris every now and then, but it's not really all that fun. I'd probably give it a D+.

-Tomb Raider (PSX): This game is just terrible. I'm not sure what it is I don't like about it...I just hate it.

Underated games:

-King of Fighters '99 (PSX, Arcade): This was a great fighting game! Me and my dad used to play this a lot. Then again, I like pretty much all fighting games (within reason).

-Mr. Nutz (SNES): I grew up on this game, as well as others, and have to admit: this little red squirrel provided me with so much fun! I haven't played it in a few years and never got past the second boss, but it was fun trying.

Not to nitpick, but a few errors in your stuff. Metal Gear Solid was a PS1 tiitle. Metal Gear and Snakes Revenge were the NES titles. Also, King of Fighters is sorta like the Madden of Fighting games. Each year sees a new release. Atleast it gets enough improvments to almost make it worth its price. A final bit, Tetris did something few other games has ever done. It sold a system. I'd say that shows it had something when it was originaly released.

Well, as far as what I thought was overrated, Most sports titles which see a yearly release. All those nifty little improvments that just dont equal an entirely new game. Improvments like facial hair, sweat, and such. What's next? A controler that lets you smell them? How many small details warent a new 50$ game?

Also, most of the Street Racers get hyped alot.

What do I think gets underrated? Not much in today's market. It used to be that entire genres of gaming would get ignored but with gaming as popular as it is now, it's realy hard to find titles that are ignored without good cause. Look at some of the stuff that people tend to not talk about and more often then not its because the game is honest to god crap and best left forgoten.

While I respect your right to an opinion, I simply disagree with it. Some of the games you feel to be hyped I believe deserved to be. Games like Megaman feel so cliche these days because there are so many of them. Yet dispite this, it's still a good seller. Solid gameplay, solid graphics, and controls make a good game and if a good game sells, well, that's buisness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze
    Not to nitpick, but a few errors in your stuff. Metal Gear Solid was a PS1 tiitle. Metal Gear and Snakes Revenge were the NES titles. Also, King of Fighters is sorta like the Madden of Fighting games. Each year sees a new release. Atleast it gets enough improvments to almost make it worth its price. A final bit, Tetris did something few other games has ever done. It sold a system. I'd say that shows it had something when it was originaly released.
    You're right, it is Metal Gear.
    I bought King of Fighters 99 for ten bucks. I think it was worth the price.
    I've never really liked Tetris, even though it did help sell a system. I just found it rather boring.

Well, as far as what I thought was overrated, Most sports titles which see a yearly release. All those nifty little improvments that just dont equal an entirely new game. Improvments like facial hair, sweat, and such. What's next? A controler that lets you smell them? How many small details warent a new 50$ game?

Also, most of the Street Racers get hyped alot.
    I've never really liked sports or racing games, and have also wondered that about sports games: what's worth shelling out an addition 50 bucks?

While I respect your right to an opinion, I simply disagree with it. Some of the games you feel to be hyped I believe deserved to be. Games like Megaman feel so cliche these days because there are so many of them. Yet dispite this, it's still a good seller. Solid gameplay, solid graphics, and controls make a good game and if a good game sells, well, that's buisness.
    I first played Megaman when I was little, and even then I felt it was an ok game. I didn't think it felt cliched, and I didn't think it was a bad game, just an average one.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the most obvious overrated game is of course "Street Fighter 2"

It was overrated when it was just SF2 (magazines at the time went SF2 nuts!), it was overrated when it was Championship Edition, Turbo, Super, Super Turbo.....and what do they have nowadays..Hyper Street Figter 2? Yeah...

I think my underrated game choice would have to be "Rockin Kats" for the NES.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy VII, no contest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated series: Metal gear, Final Fantasy, Resident evil, Megaman

Underrated games: River city ransom (nes), shadow of the ninja (NES), Kid Chameleon (genesis)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Overrated:

World of Warcraft - So many people play it, and I personally don't think it's worth devoting all my time into.

Madden series - It's a shame that the football game that gets rights to the NFL license is damn horrible compared to ESPN NFL 2k5. Running the ball seems so unrealistic to me because I feel like I don't have as much control over the running back as I do in other football games *cough* 2k5 *cough*

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Grand Theft Auto 3 was so damn innovative, they'll never be able to recreate the fun I had with that game. Now all I hear is people say about San Andreas "Aww man you could ______ in this game." Fill in the blank with the ability change clothes, have gang wars, or fly helicopters, etc...It's just not as good as GTA 3 was to me.

Underrated:

2Xtreme - Haha, I love this game. I personally think it paved the way for all the Xtreme sports games you see today. God, I loved that game and everyone else seems to hate it.

ESPN NFL 2k5 - Like I said, Madden just isn't all that great. In 2k5, the players just seem so realistic. Reading coverages while passing the ball is important in this game, and you can't always throw on the run like you could in Madden. In the running game you have to find the hole and burst through it, you can't just take the fastest player, sprint to the right and run up the sideslines. God, I love this game. Best football game ever.

Xardion (SNES) - This game was so excellent. Great side-scrolling action, I loved playing this when I was little.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JankShank

I think Super Mario RPG and the Megaman series are very overrated.

Can't think of underrated ones right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Underrated: World Heroes Perfect (NG, Arcade, Saturn)
    this was and still is, IMO, a damn fine 2D fighter that was ahead of its time (1995)

Overrated: Sorry but most of the "OMG!" Saturn games (US and Import)

Note: This is among the "Saturn community."

Games like Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, and so much more, while good to even great, are not the GODLY creations that I think of them, as compared to my fellow Saturn gamers.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Over: World of Warcraft. Amazing that everyone plays this game. It has no point. I bought it to see what they hype was, and I could not stand it.

Under: F-Zero. Ha sorry had to plug my favorite game.

Can't think of anymore at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

overrated

Halo - its pretty fun single player and co-op, but come on... I can't believe how into this game people get

GTA games - its not even fun single player - it is a little fun just driving around punching pedestrians but sucks other than that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

I thought I was the only one who loved this game. I always thought it was so stupid how they featured the character on the box art as some kinda crazy squirl, but when you play the game, he's more cute than crazy.

It was definitely underrated.

I always felt Final Fantasy (every game) was very overrated. I've played much better RPGs. You can all kill me now.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

overrated : most popular/in demand snes games

underrated : Area 51

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan
    I thought I was the only one who loved this game. I always thought it was so stupid how they featured the character on the box art as some kinda crazy squirl, but when you play the game, he's more cute than crazy.

It was definitely underrated.

Wow, someone else remembers it?
    It could just be the nostalgia of playing there with my grandma watching me as I always got to the second world boss but could never beat her, but I sure do love that squirrel. Apparently, it's the rarest game I have (scored a 6, which isn't terrible).
    Besides that, I love the sound track.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan
    I always felt Final Fantasy (every game) was very overrated. I've played much better RPGs. You can all kill me now.
    YOU DIE NOW!!!! (kidding)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought of another one

Final Fantasy 9 was underrated. I loved that game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

overrated: Halo (of course) What's so special about it ?? It's just a good 3D-shooter and nothing more....

Nintendogs, ummhh, where is the game(play) ?

The Sims (place a name here)....., come on

underrated: Super Magnetic Neo , I love it.

Red Dog, a strange game....but very funny.

Street Fighter EX (Plus Alpha), the first SF EX was really good, imo.........
    You must defeat Sheng Long, to stand a chance......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Disgaea is overrated.

I think Azure Dreams (PS1) is underrated.

That's all I have off the top of my head.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

overrated: all grand theft auto games.
    all metal gear soild games.
    all resident evil games.
    all dead or alive games.
    all electronic arts sports titles.
    halo and halo 2
    underrated:luigi's mansion