Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What Games Are Overrated to You? Underrated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by James8BitStar View Post
    Underrated is the original Bubsy.

Disagree. It came in with a lot of hype from the game makers and magazines, then most magazines gave it decent scores, which is what the game deserves IMHO.

Bubsy wasn't great, it wasn't bad... it was just OK and received way too much hype for such a non-stellar platformer. I expected the next big thing, but in the end, it was only slightly above average. The controls were suspect to say the least. Sans those who vehemently slam the game, I think it's rated about right in the gaming community. Most people see it as nothing great but nothing horrible, either. At least, that's my general perception. I think that's about right for Bubsy.

Underrated is SNES B.O.B. There goes one funky, weird and strangely fascinating action shooter. Not great, but it really got overlooked and is a fine game that might occupy you for a solid week or two

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the jagged alliance series, and not many of my gaming friends have heard of it...so, i dont know if its underrated or not, but its the first game that came to mind Also, I think some of LucasArts games such as Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis & Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II are overlooked, but maybe its just me & the people I know.

I think they all got a pretty good critical reception amongst mags and stuff though, so maybe they are overlooked imo, im not sure. This could be a good idea for a thread if its not been done.

On the console, Rock ‘N Roll Racing was really fun, and is possibly overlooked.
    Chet: It's futuristic, but that's a crate.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy, any...

And mostly Squaresoft too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated:

Ico - I never understood why it got so hyped for so many years. It's a good game, but nothing I'd really consider "must-play".

Gran Turismo series - There were a billion other racers at the time with realistic driving controls, what made these games special? Anyways, 3 had that Raekwon song, that was kinda cool.

Underrated:

Rocketeer (NES) - Great game that I don't think a lot of people even played.

Wario World (Gamecube) - The puzzles were stupid but the game itself got massively overlooked. Had some of the best visuals I've seen on a Gamecube title, too.

Mario Kart: Double Dash - My favorite of the MK series.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Strawberry (Level 2) FrakAttack's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated - Metal Gear. There are so many things wrong with the series, but the long-winded, drama queen bosses make the whole thing laughable. Am I playing a game or watching an episode of Dr. Phil?

Underrated - Metal Marines. Nice little turn based/real time strategy hybrid on the SNES. The PC desktop game expanded the theme a little further, but I would love to have seen this grow into a console franchise.
    "Ambitious, but rubbish."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well might as well get my first post out of the way..

Overrated:

Final Fantasy Series - sure they're decent games, but they're not great games like people make them out to be, especially with FF7. i actually prefer FF8 and 9 to FF7.

Halo series - It's a generic FPS that didn't provide anything unique.

GTA series - It's only fun because of the tank cheat code. :P

World of Warcraft - Do I really need to say anything...

Underrated:

Megaman Series (present games) - Back in the day the blue bomber was awesome, now people who just get introduced to the series always say the games are crap and/or boring. I may hate the Battle Network series but I love the Zero and ZX series.

Rayman - I haven't played the newer ones, but Rayman 1 and 2 I felt were awesome fun games, even if not many people cared for the series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated:

Metal Gear Solid series--the true explanation for how bad this series is: after every magazine/website in the world rewarded the games with high marks, they spent the entire time building up to the next game discussing all the flaws from the previous game. For instance: why wait a couple months after giving MGS2 a really good score to finally tell us that the story was confusing, the cut scenes were long and boring and you hated having to finish the game with Raiden? Shouldn't you have mentioned all of this during your review?

Final Fantasy series--it's an rpg game thats different from all other rps games because...it's called Final Fantasy and the others aren't

Super Mario 64--ok for it's time but never truely memorable and horribly outdated

Seaman--what the fuck???

Underrated

Syphon Filter series(PS1, PS2, PSP)--much better than the MGS series IMO and deserves a bigger marketing campaign

Bust A Groove series(PS1)--we got this game in the US before DDR finally arrived and these are extremly enjoyable, but you have to play them with the controller

Otogi series(Xbox)--kind of like a cross between Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry, not too many people know about this series and thats a shame because it's really good
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Underated
    Grandia II- The only RPG I could actually get through and not turn off

Overated
    Eternal Darkness- I love Resident Evil/Silent Hill type games, but I hated this game with a passion and everybody else loved it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) AllSchoolGamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    poida80

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    overrated

Halo - its pretty fun single player and co-op, but come on... I can't believe how into this game people get

GTA games - its not even fun single player - it is a little fun just driving around punching pedestrians but sucks other than that
    I 100% agree with you on halo...the first 1 was pretty good but i never got passed the first stage on the second before i was bored and same with part 3...way way way too much of the same form game to game.

though as more of a single player gamer i think this game isnt really for me

"Gamer for life..or until my hands fall off."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    Underated
    Grandia II- The only RPG I could actually get through and not turn off

Overated
    Eternal Darkness- I love Resident Evil/Silent Hill type games, but I hated this game with a passion and everybody else loved it.

I think you goofed, so i'll fix this for you

Overated
    Grandia II- The first Grandia is amazing. So of course I was sooooo looking forward to the sequel. Grandia II turned out to be one of the most disappointing gaming experiences ever. Lame story and characters.

Underated
    Eternal Darkness- The Resident Evil/Silent Hill type games were great games but starting to get extremely stale. Eternal Darkness was a breath of fresh air in the adventure/horror genre.
    Last edited by darkhades; 08-19-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Underated: Darkstalkers Series- It introduced some new fighting mechanics, and was a 2-D fighter from Capcom that didn't have the words Street or Fighter in the title. Without it you wouldn't have games like Guilty Gear.

Journey to Silus: A fun side scroller that was once associated with the Terminator. Great run and gun gameplay and sweet soundtrack.

Overated: Silent Hill 2-It was alright but I don't see why everyone digs it so much. Maybe it's just the lame combat system.

Castlevania SOTN-I'm a big fan of the series and I had to play this since it was so praised. I just didn't see what all the fuss was about. I much prefer the DS games and Rondo of Blood to this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Underrated- Flipnic. Seriously now, it is the Rez of pinball games, and on a big screen I guarantee you'll have at least one hallucination the following night.

Overrated- Kingdom Hearts. I played this at the same time I was playing Wind Waker and the difference in quality was jarring to say the least.

Also Ridge Racer. Call me a racing purist but the later games were nigh-on unplayable compared to games like PGR or Gran Turismo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Underrated: Secret of Evermore - solid RPG no matter what people say
    Wanted and willing to fairly pay for:
    Final Fantasy III Hat/Cap (Official Squaresoft)
    Philips CDI 740
    NTSC Proto of Daze Before Christmas (SNES)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Gamebrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated: the entire Halo series

Underrated: Shenmue (no surprise) and The Last Express

Shenmue really had a great story. Sure, there were some flaws in the gameplay but I had never been more engrossed in a game as much as I was with Shenmue 1 and 2. I was in awe after I finished both games.

The Last Express was so good. Such an overlooked classic that deserved a lot more attention. Great puzzles and unique gameplay. I'd love to see this be remade or into a movie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

halo 3 and fallout 3 are over rated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire View Post
    halo 3 and fallout 3 are over rated
    Care to elaborate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by p_b View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    I can.

They play like every other generic FPS on the market. Some are better than others, but basically they're all the same games with different characters. They kind of blur together to me. But then again, I'm not a huge FPS fan in the first place, so I can't understand the fascination with Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Wolfenstein, Halo, Fallout, Bioshock, etc etc. I'm not saying that they're bad games, but to the average gamer that could give two squats about FPS, they're all over hyped, overrated clones.

More overrated games:

Madden. What in the world is so fascinating about sports titles that people will kill their children in order to get a copy on opening day, then play the shit out of it for a week and then they can't even give the game away ten days after release because no one wants it. Why, compared to any other genre of gaming, are you guaranteed that the used bin is going to have a 3 to 1 ratio of Madden games compared to every other game?

I like Rpg's in general, but Earthbound, Super Mario 64, Secret of Mana, and the entire Final Fantasy catalog is vastly overrated.

Shenmue sucks donkey dick! (Someone had to say it...)

GTA series. Oooh, I get to fly a helicopter, shoot people and kill hookers. And there's swearing, too? That's never been done before! These games are the summation of a 12 year old boys wet dreams (no offense to anyone that likes them).

Manhunt series. See above.

Rock Band/Guitar Hero. I can't get into either one. I've seen grown men openly weep while they play plastic guitar solos on their PS2 set to Poison songs. If ever there was a video game hell, Guitar Hero would be the ninth circle and Rock Band would be the tenth. These don't even qualify as video games to me, nor do I treat them as such. When someone says they've been gaming all night and it turns out that they were playing one of these games, I instantly dismiss them as unworthy.

Metroid. Everything after Super Metroid blows to me.

Castlevania series (post NES era). I love the original trilogy, and everything from the 16 bit era, but from Castlevania 64 until now I've been sorely unimpressed.

Online gaming in general. Do you really like having nine year old kids call you a faggot and talk shit about your mother? Then online gaming is for you! Which brings me to...

Warcraft. If I could insert a picture of me not giving a shit about the World of Warcraft, I would. Since I can't, let me just say IT'S A FUCKING GAME. IT'S NOT THE GREATEST GAME EVER, NOR IS IT EVEN ONE OF THE BETTER ONES. IT'S A MMORPG THAT PEOPLE INVEST WAAAAAY TOO MUCH TIME, MONEY AND EFFORT INTO. If you have fun, great. But get up and take a bathroom break every couple of hours, you reek of nerd.

Metal Gear. I've never played a Metal Gear game I liked. I hear Snake Eater is pretty good, and coincidentally it's the only one I haven't played. The rest are completely overrated to me, from the original NES game to the newest.

Goldeneye. It was fun when I was fifteen. Then I turned fifteen and a half. Now I can't even play the damn thing. The graphics and game play make me simultaneously nauseous and angry.

Underrated titles:

From Russia With Love. What's not to like about this game? It's got great graphics, gameplay, and for everyone who talks about how great Goldeneye's multiplayer was, they obviously have never played FRWL. Plus, SEAN FRIGGING CONNERY as James Bond? Take that, sissy boy Brosnan.

GUN. I can't believe how much this game is not talked about. Where's a proper sequel guys?

Evil Dead: Fistful of Boomstick was pretty fun. To me, it's the only Evil Dead game worth playing.

Shinobi series. Not all the games were great, but as a whole the series has more ups than downs. You hear about Ninja Gaiden this or Strider that, but Shinobi was every bit as good, if not better.

Zombies ate my Neighbors. 'Nuff said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Astrocade View Post
    big 'ol rant
    Wow. Do you even like video games? And Fallout 3 is a fps? Super Mario 64 is an rpg?

Anyway, to stay on topic, I really dug Snow Bros and Guerilla War for the NES. Neither one of those seems to ever be mentioned, even though similar games like Contra and Bubble Bobble are almost always included in top XX lists.

I found Halo to be overrated at first, but my third attempt to play the original was very enjoyable. I even played through it again. The second one, however, I found to be horrible. I didn't like switching between the two characters at all, and the big tank enemies got old fast. I haven't tried the third yet, but I hope it's more like the first one.
    Last edited by carlcarlson; 02-18-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

Overrated:

Halo Series: Enough Said

GTA Series: Enough Said

The Sims: God, I fucking hate this game. No matter how much I pamper and take care of my characters, they go off and complain and do stupid shit. Seriously, if some God pampered you and took care of your every need, would you complain to them? The game bores me to tears, even though I tried my best to like it. The only enjoyment I got from this game was killing off my characters, and even that took way longer than it needed to be. Anybody else agree with me?

I can't think of any underrated ones right now.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    Wow. Do you even like video games? And Fallout 3 is a fps? Super Mario 64 is an rpg?
    I love video games. There's hundreds of thousands of games out there, not just the ones I listed. Unfortunately the ones I listed are popular, so I guess you can say I don't like most popular video games.

And yes, Fallout 3 is a FPS- at least it was the last time I played it. And I meant Super Mario RPG, but come to think of it Super Mario 64 is also overrated.