Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOOM 3 system requirements?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DOOM 3 system requirements?

Does anyone know what will be the minimum systems requirements for this game when it's released? I have a 500mhz Athlon PC with 512mb RAM and a Nvidea TNT2 board. Has anyone here run a beta/demo version of it? Will that be enough? It is being ported to Xbox still, right? I'd be better off just buying an Xbox than spending $200 on a new super-duper 3d board.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know, they have not yet realesed the system specs, but expect them to be high if you want the most out of the game!
    Looking to sell a videogame magazine collection of 200(+) magazines, 60 cents each, send me a PM if you're interested!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't care to get the most out of the game. I don't need a 150fps frame rate or ultra-high res to enjoy the game. I want to know if it'll even be playable on my PC.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say with a 97% certainty that you won't even be able to install it with less than double that system (1.2ghz or so)
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Noone knows the minimum req yet but with your setup it would be a slideshow. I would guess gf3 with well over a gig processor is the minimum.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me put it this way; I'm running a 1.7 ghz pentium 4, with a Radeon 128 (GeForce 2 based), and 384 MB ram, and Unreal 2 runs like holy living hell on my computer. Seriously, it's not even worth playing. And with FPSs always trying to raise the bar, you can bet Doom III will be even harder on the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My forecast for running it at FULL speed is:
    3Ghz cpu
    768MB Ram
    128mb Radeon 8500/ Geforce4
    SB Audigy (NOT SBLive)

Minimum, with a reasonable frame rate:
    1.8Ghz
    384mb Ram
    64mb Video card (MAYBE?)
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok i can help u out

you wont be able to play it

no serious, i've got the alpha version on my pc (yeah i know ....), it runs like 40-50 fps without enemies and 2-3 fps with one enemy (i think this is a alpha version issue, but at least you can shoot at the enemies, i remember i had an unreal 2 alpha 2 years ago or so and if u shot at the enemy the game crashed )

i've got a athlon xp 1,9 , 512 MB RAM and GeForce4 Ti4200, thats pretty good system but i couldn't play the alpha smooth with enemies on the screen, no problem without enemies though, it looks GREAT, a little bit to dark though imho

edit: the gf4 has 64MB RAM and i've got a sb audigy 1

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the min system requirements are as high as you guys are speculating, how the heck are they going to get this to run on the Xbox which only has a 700mhz P3 IIRC, less RAM, older ver. Nvidea chip? Are they going to have to totally strip it down to bare essentials to get it to run?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

YES despite of the better architecture of a console compared to the pc i still think this is not possible to do on xbox, you know, there already are pc-games looking better than the best xbox games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'll try to answer you on both parts. First you are not going to be able to play it on your current pc. The minimum requirements is going to depend a lot of your video card. I'm sure it will run on a 1Ghz or slightly less system if you are running a 9700 pro, but if you are using a geforce 4 you'll probably need more cpu power and ram. I tried the alpha on my last machine which was a athlon 1.4Ghz 512megs ddr ram, and geforce 3. In 800x600 it ran very bad during the intro type scenes but actually gameplay ran ok but got a little choppy here and there. So I would definately upgrade the cpu a good bit and then get a really nice graphics card. I recently upgraded to a liquid cooled athlon xp 2700+ overclocked to 2.5 GHz, 1 gig pc2700 ram, but haven't tried the alpha yet on it. I'm still running a geforce 3 so I'm not expecting a lot more out of it. I'm putting of getting a new video card in hopes they will release demo before the game comes out and I can see some benchmarks to help me decide. As far as it playing on the Xbox is concerned, there shouldn't be a problem with it. They have already made commens about making it on the Xbox and not having problems making it run fine. Aslo, developing for a console is completely different than for a pc because they don't have to focus on making the game work with so much different hardware there fore they can focus on speed and other tweaks to make it play good.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the min system requirements are as high as you guys are speculating, how the heck are they going to get this to run on the Xbox which only has a 700mhz P3 IIRC, less RAM, older ver. Nvidea chip? Are they going to have to totally strip it down to bare essentials to get it to run?
    Keep in mind that the graphics chip in the X-Box is almost directly coupled to the processor and memory bus, whereas a PC graphics card has to go through the slow AGP bus. They can make it graphically as good as the PC version with a much smaller memory footprint for graphics becuase of this( as both the CPU and Graphics chip can manipulate the graphic data). Add to the fact the X-Box is basically only runnning Doom 3, instead the bloted Windows OS and drivers, that lets the game fit in only 64MB of RAM.

it runs like 40-50 fps without enemies and 2-3 fps with one enemy (i think this is a alpha version issue, but at least you can shoot at the enemies, i remember i had an unreal 2 alpha 2 years ago or so and if u shot at the enemy the game crashed )

i've got a athlon xp 1,9 , 512 MB RAM and GeForce4 Ti4200, thats pretty good system but i couldn't play the alpha smooth with enemies on the screen, no problem without enemies though, it looks GREAT, a little bit to dark though imho
    Move to DDR ram if you can, it'll run alot better. With a 1.3Ghz XP, 256MB DDR, Geforce 2 MX 400 I get around 12 FPS on most enemies (except the second part of e3_2).

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ hydrox, how did you get the alpha version of Doom 3? I would love to know, because I want it!!
    Looking to sell a videogame magazine collection of 200(+) magazines, 60 cents each, send me a PM if you're interested!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

It got leaked out online...you can find on on Kazaa and so such file sharing programs.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok...several things of note......

First off, the alpha (which was accidentally released onto the net) is a total system hog BECAUSE it's the alpha. They haven't worked out the resource allocation bugs yet. It doesn't matter how fast your PC is, it isn't gonna look very good cause it's only an alpha build. That's a given.

Beyond that, Id has announced that it WILL require at LEAST a 1 gig processor for minimum specs. With the level of texture detail that they intend and the sheer size of everything, expect it to run at high res on nothing less than a 2 ghz system. I figure that my Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 Ghz system will BARELY meet the minimum specs for the game, if it does at all, and I have 512 megs of RAM and a Geforce 2 MX 64 graphics card. I'll be lucky to run it...guaranteed. But chances are, you won't need a high end 3 Ghz processor to run it at full hi res, although you WILL need whatever graphics card they recommend. I'd bet you'll need a GeForce 4 and a 1.2-1.7 Ghz processor to get some decent performance out of it. It's going to be the next generation of video requirements, and once it's out, expect many other games to follow in it's footsteps for requirements.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You also have to remember this is the ALPHA version. Meaning it doesn't matter WHAT your computer is, you aren't going to be able to play it smoothly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the requirements for actual playable are:

intel 2.4ghz or amd 2400+
    ATI 9700 pro
    512 meg ram

good luck with anything less.. even with the best PC you are looking at 15-30fps at 800x600..
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    Let me put it this way; I'm running a 1.7 ghz pentium 4, with a Radeon 128 (GeForce 2 based), and 384 MB ram, and Unreal 2 runs like holy living hell on my computer. Seriously, it's not even worth playing. And with FPSs always trying to raise the bar, you can bet Doom III will be even harder on the system.
    That's weird. I only have a 1 gig processor with 32mb video card and 256 ram, and UT2003 runs fine. I haven't tried Unreal 2, but you should be able to play it fine. Maybe lower the resolution or something?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I plan on using this post in my next symposium: "why I don't play PC games".

Thanks, all.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

minumum system requirements = XBOX

It will be on XBOX as well as PC.