Thread: JVC Xeye questions............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default JVC Xeye questions............

Had a few questions about this cool looking system.
    I know it plays Genesis and Sega Cd games. It seems to be a nicer alternative than regular Genesis with CD attachment. I was wondering, how well does it intergrate with a 32x?
    Is it compatible with US Genny carts and CD games?
    Can I use a US OR Japanese 32x?
    Is there a way to play Japanese AND US games if not directly compatible?
    What combo is best for 32x/Sega CD/Genesis in your opinions? Thanks in advance!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I heard someone say that the 32X blocks the cd drive from opening on the X'Eye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default Re: JVC Xeye questions............

You can use the 32X however it doesn't rest atop the unit solidly and it does block the CD lid. However if you're using a 32X CD, simply place the CD in the drive before inserting the 32X module into the cartridge slot. I works fine though.

It will play any US Genesis and any US Sega CD game out of the box. In fact it plays SCD games better than any of the SCD units as the CD drive is faster, personally I believe it's the fastest of all the SCD drives including the one in the CD-X.

The cartridge slot is nice and wide so it will accept Japanese Mega Drive cartridges without any modification. However many Japanese Mega Drive cartridges have region coding. I've worked out the details on how to install a US/JPN region switch so it will play region locked Japanese Mega Drive games. You can find that tutorial at my gaming site. The link is currently on the front page or it can be accessed in the "Events / Features" subsection. I also have a repair tutorial concerning the lid close pinswtch which seems to be a somewhat common problem with the JVC X'Eye - however it sometimes allows you to pick them up on the cheap. (I paid $2 for mine)

Personally there is no better system to play your 16 bit Sega stuff on than the JVC X'Eye. Some people go on and on about the CD-X but using a 32X with it is dodgy and a nightmare. Additionally now that I've publicly documented the JVC X'Eye US/JPN cartridge slot mod it has jumped ahead of any other US released 16 bit Sega system in terms of all-in-one features.

Also as soon as I find one (which quit appearing right after I wanted one) I believe I've figured out a way to get the Power Base Converter to work on the JVC X'Eye, which would open up Sega Master System compatibility as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Wow! Thanks for that info!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't mean to threadjack but I have been wanting a X Eye badly for the all in one usability and better laser, I have ruled out the CDX as an option but I was wondering how the Wondermega holds up to the X eye as far as compatibility and usability.

Thanks
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry somebody air slap me, I didn't realize they were the same console.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy
    I don't mean to threadjack but I have been wanting a X Eye badly for the all in one usability and better laser, I have ruled out the CDX as an option but I was wondering how the Wondermega holds up to the X eye as far as compatibility and usability...

Not exactly. The X'Eye is the Wondermega 2, a stripped down version of the original Wondermega. The US version is incredibly versatile (as delineated above). The original Wondermega is about the same in terms of compatibility though, and even better looking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy
    I don't mean to threadjack but I have been wanting a X Eye badly for the all in one usability and better laser, I have ruled out the CDX as an option but I was wondering how the Wondermega holds up to the X eye as far as compatibility and usability...

Not exactly. The X'Eye is the Wondermega 2, a stripped down version of the original Wondermega. The US version is incredibly versatile (as delineated above).
    Yeah, the Wondermega 2 has the S-Video on the board (it was removed for the JVC X'Eye but can be rebuilt), MIDI compatibility, built in wireless controllers (crappy infared), etc. Really just a bunch mmore stuff tacked on that many people don't use anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After I modified my X'eye for S-video, I retired the modified Genny2 and SEGACD2, and their array of AC adapters.

Definitely THE way to play SEGACD and Genesis games.

http://www.oldschoolgamer.ca/information.aspx?SID=14
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!