Thread: Official Sega Master System Thread

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Official Sega Master System Thread

Well, recently i saw an official NES thread, and, because i love SMS, i want to create an official SMS thread, so...discuss:

- What is your favorite game in this system?

I donīt really know, because there are great games, but i played a lot, for example, Aztec adventure & Phantasy star.

- What are some of your favorites?

Phantasy star, Sonic, Shinobi, Fantasy zone, Alex kidd series & Aztec adventure.

- What games surprised or impacted you?

Aztec adventure, i remember it was the first game i saw for this machine, is not the best, but i always have the NES games images in my mind, and this machine is superior, so...it was too much for me.

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?

I was surprised, because i didnīt know that SEGA have an 8-bit system, i had 8 years old i think and i went to a friendīs house and he showed me the machine, he said me that he couldnīt pass a level in the Lucky dime caper and i cleared it in my first time

- Do you actually own this system?, how much? which models?

I have the SMS II (From Tec toy) complete, which is the Model I in USA, i had 2, but i recently sold one.

- How many games do you have for it?

A lot

- Which is the rarest single game you own?

Out run 3D (Brazilian version)

If you have any experience or some extra notes, add them.

Matías
    :morning:

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Official SEGA SMS thread!!!!!

It would be between Golden Axe Warrior and Phantasy Star

Space Harrier, Smurf, and a few others.

3D Missle Defense. I was at Toys R Us and it was the first time I experienced the 3D glasses, and I was blown away. At that time, 3D games used cheap red/blue glasses and never gave a rea full colorl 3D impression. It was also at that time I decided to get SMS and bugged "Santa Clause" for one.

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?

See above. When I got the SMS 3D set, it came with Missle Defense 3D and I also got Hang On/Safari Hunt combo.

I have various SMS consoles, all USA. I have SMS 1 with no built in game, one with built in Hang On/Safari Hunt, and one with built in 3D Missle Defense. I also have a SMSII console.

PLast count: about 70. Only 4 of them are UK titles (Tom & Jerry, Ultima, Sonic 2, and Xenon 2) plus one other European game.

Smurf 2, my "other European game" No one knew this game existed until a few years ago.
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Castle of Illusion/ Alex Kidd in Miracle world

Castle of Illusion, Alex Kidd in Miracle world, Sonic 1 and 2, Line of Fire, Legend of illusion.

Nothing really. I was like 9 when I got myself one, so I didn't have anything to compare it to. I loved Alex Kidd in miracle world though.

I forgot.... My friend had one. From that moment on I went to his house to play it a lot. Untill I got my own.

I have an sms 1 and sms 2. The sms 2 isn't hooked up though.

Street fighter 2' or Virtua Fighter animation (both brazilian). Or maybe Phantasy star, I paid more for that one.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is your favorite game in this system?
    Favorites are always hard to pick.. tho If I was only allowed to play ONE game in it for the rest of my life... it would have to be... Space Harrier

What are some of your favorites?
    Fantasy Zone
    Space Harrier
    Golden Axe
    Alex Kidd series (yes, ALL of them, with probably the exception of BMX Trial, which might be better if I played the real version and not the emulated one), Golvellius (first rpg type game I ever played and what got me hooked on em)
    Rambo III
    Thunder Blade
    Altered Beast (yeah, you read right)

What games surprised or impacted you?
    Double Dragon; That and the Karate Kid made an avid martial arts fan.
    Golden Axe; I remember playing that for the first time and thinking 'wow, graphics are never gonna get better than this, this is like a movie!'

Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    I was 9 years old and my uncle had just given me his SMS with 8 games. I remember became amazed at the quality of graphics and sound, but I don't remember which one I played first...

Do you actually own this system?, how much? which models?

Yup, The Canadian standard SMS with Hand-On and Safari Hunt as a built in ROM and the hidden Maze Game.

How many games do you have for it?

40-50

Which is the rarest single game you own?

Probably Alex Kidd: Shinobi World

EDIT
    This next Heading I added after
    What is the game you DISlike most?
    CHOPLIFTER
    God I hate that game
    Some games like Psycho Fox are frustratingly hard, but look so good and just FEEL so cool, you goott keep going back
    There's also F-16 Fighter... a big game for being dumped on.. while it may not be pretty, it IS fun (i think so)
    But Choplifter? Too Hard, Too Ugly, Too Uninteresting!!!

Alex Kidd

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would have to be Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap

Phantasy star, Wonder Boy Series, Golden Axe Warrior, any 3-D games

The fist time I played Maze Hunter 3-d it just blew me away. I played so called 3-D games before with the cheap red, blue glasses but when I played Maze Hunter 3-D on the SMS with the 3-D glasses I never expected images to just pop right out of the T.V.

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action?
    I played it over at my Aunt's house

I have a mint boxed Segascope 3-D system and a couple of model 1's

About 300

I would have to say either Buggy Run or Daffy Duck European versions.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Space Harrier

Above plus, Phantasy Star, Cyborg Hunter, R-Type, Rastan

Phantasy Star. That game blew me away when it came out

No but I remember where I bought it - Compucenter in the Sarnia Eaton Center I think it was a combination of paper route money, Birthday and Christmas present.

Still have my original (and box) though it's broken. Have another broken one and two working ones as well as a power base converter and a GameGear (pretty much a portable SMS).

50 (someday I'll have a complete NA collection)

I think it's probably Buster Douglas Knockout Boxing

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say Golvellius or Wonder boy 3;

Enduro Racer, Aztec Adventure, Out Run, Golden Axe.

Wonder boy 3, The graphics and game play on this were something else, it stands out for me on the master system, it's one of the best.

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game

The first time i saw it was christmas day 198-somehthing. The first game I
    ever saw on it was either Alex Kidd: Miracle World, or Aztec Adventure.

I own one boxed smsII (Alex Kidd) and one unboxed smsII, and maybe a smsIII Collections soon.

64 games.

Fantastic Dizzy, that's fairly rare here in the U.K.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

What is your favorite game for this system?

I really enjoyed Zillion, so I'll say that. I'd like to try out some more though, but well, I haven't those means aka places that sell games around here.

What are some of your other favorites:
    Zillion 2, Sonic, double Dragon, Astro Warior, Space Harrier

I was pleasantly surprised with Virtua Fighter Animation...it played like a real VF (as real as a 2d fighter could be I guess).

Do you rememebr the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    The first game I saw played on it was Hang-On when I first tested the one I got from my cousin, who was cleaning his attic. I thought it was pretty neat version of Hang On, though after spoiling myself on Shenmue... ;p

I own 1 US model 1...I ahd 2 but I sold one to my friend Sean for 10 bucks, as he had a convertor for the genesis, but wanted the real deal.

15 games...not bad for about a year of collecting in my spare time for it.

Virtua Fighter Animation of Street Fighter II' both of which I bought off of Marco K last year not too long after getting my SMS.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Let's see...

Phantasy Star is up there, but I'd have to say Bank Panic

Phantasy star, Fantasy Zone, Ghost House (yes I said Ghost House), Alex Kidd Miracle World, Columns, Moonwalker

Maze Hunter 3D. Icouldn't believe that a system from the 80's could do 3D so well.

I believe it was at a Toys R Us around 87. I remember going there to pick up some NES games (which I had only because that's what all my friends had), and seeing these odd games to a system I never heard of. I saw the demo system sitting out playing what I believe was Double Dragon (it's been a long time). I thought it looked interesting but it was nothing that made me say WOW! Hmm... Maybe it was Alien Syndrome that it was playing...

I have a SMS without the built in game (other than Snail Maze that is).

60 or so, maybe more.

Probably Bank Panic on a card (got it from Australia). I also own the TV Adventures of Colosso (Tec Toy).

Tempest

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably Ys

Rastan, Golvellius, Golden Axe, Wonderboy 3

Ys. What I don't believe is that the water moves on this version, but the Turbo Duo one doesn't...

The first game I played was Rastan on a SMS Kiosk which my dad got for free. I remember playing the arcade version of Ratsan in a Grocery Store and remembering how much fun that version was. The sad thing is is that the Kiosk resetted after 5 minutes of play time...

I don't own one at the moment.

Just 2. Golvellius and Asterix.

Asterix, which I found in a shop nearby. What's a European import doing there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

I too have many favorites... but if I choose one, my favorite would have to be Space Harrier. It was the first video game I ever played.

Shinobi, Outrun, Alien Syndrome, Dead Angle, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Fantasy Zone

Space Harrier. The opening theme and overall feel of this game made me feel like I was in another world when I was a kid. I felt happy, almost like I was in a dream. I still get the same feeling every time I come back to it.

The first game I saw on it was Ghostbusters. I was two years old and I my friends who owned it would only let me drive the car back and forth in between the ghost catching scenes. That was enough to get me hooked.

Oh yes, I own around 5 SMS consoles including 1 3D Glasses set that was never out of the box. It is absolutely mint. I also have a Power Base Convertor and an SMS 2 which was bought brand new at Kay Bee Toy Store.

The 114 US released titles and around 30 European titles.

Outrun 3D (European version): Got this gem from the retrogaming roundtables own Zektor.

Buster Douglas KO Boxing: Game that completed my US collection. I've only seen 1 on Ebay and it was the one I got.

I love this system. It has given me some unforgetable experiences that I will never forget... I just get good feelings whenever I play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Phantasy Star. No doubt about it.

Kenseiden, OutRun, Afterburner, Time Soldiers

Kenseiden. The graphics were sharp and colorful as opposed to some of the "washed out" looking games on the NES. The sound was great, with the metallic "clangs" of your sword when you strike creatures.

The second obviously was Phantasy Star. Graphics, sound, story, simplistic functionaliy, 3D dungeons and a sci-fi/fantasy theme that works. What more can I say?

I saw the Master System demo at the local Kohls department store. Hmmm...game in action...I think it was Black Belt. Since I liked Kung Fu at the time I thought the game was fairly rockin'. I also got to play with Space Harrier (which looked, in the words of Billy Crystal, mah-vellous), the gun game against gangsters (I can't remember the name) where you can shoot almost ANYTHING (windows, tires, etc.). I liked it a lot at the time, but couldn't justify buying it next to my NES. Didn't get a SMS until the beginning of 1989 when a friend of mine (who became a jerk over the whole deal) sold me his.

Not any longer. The games didn't appeal to me much anymore and I didn't have the room to store it so I traded it in to get more classic stuff (which, ironically, I sold not too much later on).

I had the SMS version 1 with one pad and the 3D glasses that worked sporadically.

I think I had about 20 to 25.

None now, but I don't think I had a rare game. I had sought-after games like Phantasy Star, but nothing I'd say was hard to find.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, how come I never posted in this thread before?

Here goes:
    Wonderboy 3, I love that game!
    What are some of your favorites?
    There's So many; ANY of the Wonderboy Games, Alex Kidd (the first one), Castle/land of illusion, Lucky Dime caper, Asterix, Space Harrier, ect.
    I was really impressed with the graphics on Aladdin, Cool Spot, and Lucky Dime Caper...and I just recently discovered Road Rash, MAN that game's sweet! It feels EXACTLY like the genesis version, and looks almost as good.
    Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    The first time I saw it, I didn't know what it was, but I remember Ghostbusters playing on the Kiosk...too bad the controllers werent hooked up.
    Let's see, I have 2 SMS 1's (one loose, one boxed) and a SMS II.
    Currently...about 110, only about 4 are loose, and most are complete.
    I dunno, Boxed ALF, or boxed Fire & Ice probably.

Gotta Collect 'em all!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Castle of Illusion / Xenon 2

Sonic 1 and 2, Castle of Illusion, Alex Kidd in Miracle world, Xenon 2 Megablast, Bank Panic

I don't think there were any games that really surprised me, but I just couldn't stop playing Alex Kid (built-in) and Castle of Illusion.

I first saw the system in action at my nephews, who used to buy the systems almost as soon as they where released. I forgot which game I played first though, may have been Sonic.

I have two Master System 2 systems. One of those is always hooked up to my TV. None of those 2 are boxed, unfortunately.

about 25

That would probably be Bank Panic (card, with box and manual).