Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your monthly budget to spend on classic games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What's your monthly budget to spend on classic games?

Hey everybody,
    I've been thinking about this for a while, and I've been wanting to create a thread asking this question, but I just never got around to it. I did a quick search to see if a topic like this has been done before, but couldn't find anything. I think I remember seeing one asking how much you've spent in total on games, but that's it.

But yeah, how much do you spend on your games, per month (roughly). Do you allow yourself a certain amount of money that you can spend on games for a months time?

Or do you just spend your money on the games that you want, when you see them up for sale? And if you do this, what would be an average month of spending for you?

I ask this becuase what I have been spending per month has changed considerably since I started collecting. When I first started I would barely spend anything thinking that if I spent more than $100, I'd be in over my head. Then, I started to get a little bit more serious and started to spend a few hundred dollars a month. I remember the month I bought Congo Bongo for the Intellivision, I spent like $250 on games, and my girlfriend was really mad at me.

At that point, she said to me "Okay, what you should do, is allow yourself a certain amount per month that you can spend on games. That way, you'll never spend too much." I sort of said 'Yeah, that's a good idea, but I don't know.'

Since then (that was about a year ago), I've been spending increasingly more on games, per month. And, as of recently, I've been spending quite a lot.
    In March, I spent about $1,000
    In April, I spent about $1,400
    And in May, (assuming I win the Hot Slots for the NES on ebay right now), I've spent about $1,800.

Granted, these past three months have been out of the ordinary for me, as most of the money I spent was used to get all the hard-to-find NES games I needed for my complete collection.
    I don't know, what does everybody else spend?
    Jumpman Jr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

On average, I would say $125 or so. That doesn't count the money I spend from selling old stuff I'm not interested in anymore, or trades.

Here's one old topic, but I could have sworn there was a more recent one:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46508

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Right now i can say less than $100 per month, So far i've spent about $315 this year on my collection, That is including current generation games.

It's also counting dollars i got from selling games i have duplicates of, or just don't want or need.

I rarely buy games on ebay, I've bought fewer than 30 (20?) lots of game related stuff on ebay.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last year I was spending about $300-400/month on games, but that has recently dropped to near zero, well under a hundred bucks.

I've been directing cash at other pursuits recently, most notably a business venture which, I would hope, would allow me to buy a lot more games in the long run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0

Here's one old topic, but I could have sworn there was a more recent one:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46508
    Thanks, I guess there is an older topic. Mods, feel free to lock this one if you think it's too similar (which it's pretty much is, sans the poll).

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Probably about $150 - $200 a month on games. I try not to go overboard with that amount.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I generally try to stay around 100 unless I see that gem come out that I might not have another chance at for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    It's almost like a soap opera where you think that everyone cares about how Kevin's adventures on eBayland goes from day to day.

There's a place for semi-regular posts like your's Kevin, it's called a diary or a blog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It also depends on how much $$ I have in my paypal account from selling games. One time I had $417 or some ridiculous amount... and I used it all on video games within a month probably, or month and a half. I had a huge $295 order I remember, for several SNES games including Chrono Trigger the two Lufia's etc.

Right now, I'd say $150-ish. This month I've spent well over 200 however....

I don't place a limit on myself other than under 300... I just buy as I see good deals and whatnot. if it's too good to pass up... it's too good to pass up

I'm narrowing the want list down though, and Thank God I don't think I can keep this crazy pace up... I just want to relax knowing I got all the games I ever wanted.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Wow, I'm kinda suprised by the low numbers.

I'm an impulse buyer, so before easter I spent very little on games of any kind, but after Easter I've had a hardcore feening for complete NES titles. I spent over $200 in Ohio at CCAG last weekend, and right now I'm thinking about a big purchase ($100+) over the boards.

But, I really don't have THAT many games I want, and if I see them complete in good condition it's hard for me to pass them up. I also get quite bored at work and constantly check ebay, which is never good.

I tried to limit myself to $100 spending cash a week (games, movies, music, concerts, whatever), but that's not enough. Sometimes it is, but not usually. Now with the Gamestop B2G1 sale coming up and the impending release of the DS Lite, that $100 a week isn't going to last me squat.

I'd guess around $300-400 a month goes straight to games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've actually been debating about if I should start really hardcore playing my older video games and as I beat them, write it down on a list and sell them off, keeping only the great games. I've been slowly digging deeper into my pockets each week and it's going to start hitting harder if I don't figure out some sort of change. Collecting is fun and everything but it may be about time to start selling back slowly and not buy classics for awhile. Also my spending habbits are about to change with getting a DS, like I've already gotten 2 games for it and don't even have a Lite yet.

But to more so answer the question, around $10-100+ a week. It all depends on how often I end up going to the pawn shops. Because I work part-time and do full college that's a lot of spending.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my case, the amount varies wildly from month to month. I've spent over $1000 some months, and next to nothing during other months. Recently, I've only made a few small purchases -- maybe $80 over the last two months or so (almost half of which was used to buy one sealed NES game).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me it depends if I have the money at that time and also if while I have money I think of something that I want to get. This goes for anything video game related either classic or current. So some months I might spend quite a bit and other months I may spend hardly anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its all random, depending on how much money I have to spend. Could be $1000, could be $50. May was over $1000, june will probably be the same. They are just better months for me in terms of the money I make at my job.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$100 thru $150 per month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone here save money, donate to charities, the homeless?

I'm sorry, but $1000+ on games each month is rediculous, I don't care who you are or how much you make.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last year i counted all of my recepts for the whole year i spent $478.91 on video games for the whole year,so on advrage i spend $39.90 a month. Once i get a job those number should go up a little.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say on average a cuppla hunnerd a month -- call it $300 or so. May be more than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I always buy things on a whim, so I really don't have a set budget. The ironic thing is these random events are usually when i don't have money to spare and I usually buy the game knowing I won't be able to find it for that price again.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Just noticed something..

Jumpman Jr, I think you made a mistake in the subject title.

What's your Montly budget to spend on classic games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slip81
    Does anyone here save money, donate to charities, the homeless?

I'm sorry, but $1000+ on games each month is rediculous, I don't care who you are or how much you make.
    Yes, Yes, No