Thread: Does anybody know anything about the PC Engine launch?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Does anybody know anything about the PC Engine launch?

I've asked this question before, and I haven't really gotten much of any information. Ideally, there would be a DP member that actually got a PC Engine when they first launched in Japan. But the chances of that are pretty slim. It came out in either September, October or December of 1987 in Japan, depending on who you believe. October 30th 1987 is a date that has been attributed to the launch of the PC Engine, but I'm not at all certain that it's a correct date.

The main thing that I want to know is....

When did the PC Engine really launch? (It definitely was in late 1987, but when?)

Which games were available on the actual launch day?

How much did a PC Engine cost (in American dollars) at it's launch?

Which games arrived shortly after launch?

When did the first CD attatchement launch? Which CD games were available the day of the CD player launch?

Basically, I'm extremely interested in the early history of the PC Engine, but so far, my searches on Google have been in vain. I've found some info here and there, but no real details, or first person accounts of what the PC Engine launch was really like. Can you imagine, being back in October of 1987, and getting your hands on an import PC Engine system and some launch games?

I think China Warrior (not sure the japanese name for it) was one of the original launch games, and I know China Warrior sucks pretty damn bad, but man....Back in 1987, seeing that gigantic character in a home video game, would have seemed very amazing.

If only I could go back in time to October of 1987. I would have been 17 years old, starting my senior year of High School. (yeah, I'm a really old fart) Back then, I was one of those gamers that most people would detest of. The dreaded, "casual sports gamer". I was the type that played Double Dribble with his high school buddies. Double Dribble, Baseball Stars, etc, etc. I didn't know shit back then. But somehow..... if I could go back in time to that point, knowing what I currently know about games now, I would have done whatever I needed to do, to somehow secure myself a launch day PC Engine from Japan. Even if it would have cost me $500 or so to get one. I would have mowed a million lawns or got some crappy Summer job or something, to get the necessary cash.

Of course, knowing what I know now, I would also make a RGB cable for it, and get a really nice, brand new Commodore 1084 monitor for it.

Talk about Next-Generation. Playing a PC Engine, in October of 1987, in rgb, on a Commodore monitor, would be so freaking Next-Gen it's ridiculous.

-=-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

The place you want to go for all your answers is here - PCENGINEFX.com. What you can't find there can probably be easily answered on their boards or with a couple e-mails.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    The place you want to go for all your answers is here - PCENGINEFX.com. What you can't find there can probably be easily answered on their boards or with a couple e-mails.

Sweet!, found some info on their forums. Here is a listing they have of the first Hu cards and CD's. It helps answer some questions

First six HuCards:
    87.10.30 - Shanghai
    87.10.30 - Bikkuriman World (Wonderboy in Monsterland)
    87.11.21 - The KungFu (China Warrior)
    87.11.30 - Kato chan Ken chan
    87.12.28 - Victory Run
    88.01.22 - Jyaseiken Necromancer

First six CD games:
    12.04.88 -- Fighting Street
    12.04.88 -- No.Ri.Ko
    12.23.88 -- Bikkuriman Daijikai
    03.31.89 -- Cobra
    06.23.89 -- Valis II
    06.30.89 -- Tengai Makyu Ziria

First six SCD games:

91.10.25 - Tenshi no Uta
    91.10.25 - Dragon Slayer 1
    91.10.25 - Populous The Promised Lands
    91.11.08 - Prince of Persia
    91.12.13 - SCD Demo Soft
    91.12.20 - R-Type Complete CD
    91.12.20 - Browning
    91.12.20 - Dodgeball Soccer

Looking at that information it appears that the October 30, 1987 date is indeed correct. Shanghai and Wonderboy in Monsterland were the first two Hu cards available at launch. Still don't know the launch price for the system or games yet.
    When did the PC Engine really launch? (It definitely was in late 1987, but when?) It appears that the launch was October 30th, 1987 in Japan

Which games were available on the actual launch day?

Shanghai and Wonderboy in Monsterland.

How much did a PC Engine cost (in American dollars) at it's launch?

Still don't know this yet.

Which games arrived shortly after launch?

China Warrior came out on November 21st, 1987, and then on November 30th, 1987, Kato chan Ken chan (known as JJ & Jeff in U.S.). Victory Run came out on December 28th, 1987. So it appears that only 5 games were available in 1987 for the PC Engine. None of them were exactly amazing either, so I'm guessing one could have actually waiting until sometime in 1988 before importing a PC Engine.

When did the first CD attatchement launch? Which CD games were available the day of the CD player launch?

It looks like the PC Engine CD unit came out on December 4th, 1988 in Japan. Fighting Street and No.Ri.Ko, were the two games available on the actual launch date.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bump an old thread, why not? Does anyone have a clue about the average price in yen at time time for the Super CD games like Rondo of Blood?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dracula X apparently sold for 7800 yen plus tax (8190 yen at the time.)

That comes to $76.53 with the USD-Yen rate in fall 1993.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ccovell View Post
    Dracula X apparently sold for 7800 yen plus tax (8190 yen at the time.)

That comes to $76.53 with the USD-Yen rate in fall 1993.
    Thanks, ccovell! You're awesome.