Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any good Xbox controllers designed for 2D gaming?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Are there any good Xbox controllers designed for 2D gaming?

If you don't want a story skip the following two paragraphs.

You know the HORI Game Boy Player controllers for the GameCube? They're awesome. Just like an SNES controller. It makes the GameCube my current favorite "modern system" for 2D games.

The problem is, the Xbox has a lot of games that would benefit from a good SNES-like controller. Add to that the fact that my Xbox is modded, it would be great for the shitload of SNES, NES, TG-16, and other 2D games I have on my Xbox's hard drive. With the recent improvements of Zsnexbox, which is basically a port of the PC's ZSNES emulator, I've been craving a good 2D controller. Zsnexbox runs almost every SNES game at 100% speed with graphical filters and all kinds of other shit.

So, back to the question at hand: Are there any good Xbox controllers designed for 2D gaming out there?

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Sounds like a PS2 to XBOX or USB adapter would be your best bet here. I don't think too many third party companies would want to deviate from the standard controller design for lack of mainstream sales.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forgot to add: I hate the PS2 controller. Its d-pad sucks massive amounts of ass. Who though it would be a good idea to seperate the d-pad into four different buttons, angled badly, and made the buttons themselves as hard as diamonds? It starts hurting my thumbs when I try to use that controller for 2D gaming any longer than 10 minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You might want to try one of the street fighter anniversary controllers, they're very similar in design to Saturn pads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

The Street Fighter Anniversary pads are nice, you should be able to easily find one for $10 or less, at a local EB/Gamestop. What I like to use for most classic games, is either an arcade stick, or a converted Neo Geo CD controller

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

If you're playing 2-D fighting games, however, the D-pad isn't as good as it should be on the Street Fighter Anniversary controllers. I can't do consecutive Cannon Spikes with Cammy for some reason on them, like I normally could on an SNES controller or PS2 controller.

However, it's all preference. It's a pretty good controller for 3-D fighting games that don't use analog sticks, such as Soul Caliber III and Virtua Fighter 4. You should try it out yourself; it's only 10 bucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

they were clearing em out at gamestop for 4.99

I got the Guile and uhhh whats his name dude that spins around one... why the hell cant i remember his name this is pissing me off.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im looking for a good 2D gaming controller as well for my Xbox. Do they make the Street Fighter controllers for Xbox? I thought they were only for PS2?
    eBay Feedback / eBay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy
    they were clearing em out at gamestop for 4.99

I got the Guile and uhhh whats his name dude that spins around one... why the hell cant i remember his name this is pissing me off.
    Ryu or Akuma finally Chun Li was the last one. But yeah these controllers are your best bet.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what is it that you don't like about the Controller S? I think it has a fine D-pad, and the button layout is good too. Is it that you don't like the triggers for games that don't use them in an analog fashion? About the only thing I don't like about it is that the face buttons are rounded on top, but I take care of that by sanding them down with an emory board.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regarding emulators, this one dude was actually hacking Xbox controllers and putting some type of connector on them, and then with that connector you can attatch real SNES controllers or NES controllers or Genesis controllers or whatever. the SNES, NES and Genny controllers have to be modded to have the special plug on them as well, so they can connect. You use the Xbox controller to navigate the menus, but when it's time to play, you use the actual real controller. I thought it was the best idea ever. Only problem dude was just a private citizen, and I think he almost wishes he never did it, because of the requests he gets. I've sold my modded Xboxes, but if I still had them, I would really want to get that done, that would be ideal.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The controller S does have a good d-pad, the best of the default d-pads this gen. Problem is, it's not in the primary position like the control stick is. This makes it not as comfortable or as precise. I was interested in an XB controller with no control sticks and a d-pad in the position where the control stick is located on the controller S.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by SirDrexl
    Just out of curiosity, what is it that you don't like about the Controller S? I think it has a fine D-pad, and the button layout is good too. Is it that you don't like the triggers for games that don't use them in an analog fashion? About the only thing I don't like about it is that the face buttons are rounded on top, but I take care of that by sanding them down with an emory board.
    Though i rarely agree with Xizer the XBox D-Pad does need some work. Left/Right aren't properly defined and after about 20 hours of DOAU my thumb was bleeding.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem with the S controllers is I always find myself going towards the trigger buttons, and when running certain emulators, the roms spppppppppeeeeeeedddddddd up. Its kinda a pain when trying to make a certain jump in MC Kids and going all fast.

I'll check out the Street Fighter controllers tomorrow.
    eBay Feedback / eBay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoGC
    Im looking for a good 2D gaming controller as well for my Xbox. Do they make the Street Fighter controllers for Xbox? I thought they were only for PS2?
    Nope they're for xbox too - a damn fine pad for 2D games, and a cheap price. Comes with a nice collector's hologram box too. I use mine primarily for genesis emulation.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Drunk Billionaire's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The controller S works just fine for me but I would also recommend the Street Fighter anniversary controller

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I bought a used Street Fighter controller at GS for $13 today. Only one I could find, and I don't really care about "collecting" the box for it. The controller feels kind of cheap. Still, it's way better than the default Xbox controller when it comes to 2D games. It shall join my Hori GameCube controller while it awaits current-gen 2D experiences.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know if the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection controllers have any other characters than Akuma, Guile and M. Bison?

I had looked at the official site and it had a myriad of other characters, but I've never seen them for sale. Perhaps this is why they are selling the current ones for $10 or so.

Thanks.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Drunk Billionaire's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw ken and ryu once and i want them im going to make a post in buying and selling

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Street Fighter anniversary controllers. Just like everybody else has said they're very nice. If anybody needs one for PC gaming pick up one of those official Saturn USB controllers...I dig mine.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut