Thread: Did Volition steal DMA Design's "golden goose"?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Did Volition steal DMA Design's "golden goose"?

We all know that DMA Designs was the orignal developer of GTA for the Playstation, they also developed Body Harvest for the N64 and Wild Metal Country for Dreamcast, among other games. Then they were purchased by Rockstar and became known as "Rockstar North". Then they developed Grand Theft Auto 3 for the Playstation 2 and the rest is History.

Certainly, DMA basically invented the sandbox genre of video games with GTA 3 and it's two major followups. Of course, any time something like this happens, a large number of companies will assign a team to copy the formula, and see if they can reap the same benefits. Luxoflux tried it with True Crimes: Streets of L.A., and was mildy successful, but they certainly didn't make DMA, err.....Rockstar North, nervous. There have been quite a few attempts at copying the GTA style sandbox game, and so far, none of the attempts has really made any kind of impact in Rockstar North's domination of the genre.

In 1992, Id software created "Wolfenstein 3D" for the PC. Of course, that was followed up in 1993 by the incredible "DOOM" for the PC. Then there was Doom II in 1995 and Quake in 1996. Id basically created a genre of gaming in 1992, and then proceeded to dominate it's self-created genre with an Iron Fist until 1998. In 1998, Epic Games released a little diddy by the name of... "Unreal". Another game by Valve Software also came out that year. Maybe you've heard of it??? Half-Life.

As you can cleary see, a company can create a genre, and dominate that genre, but eventually somebody will figure out the recipe and bake a better cake. The clientele out there is just hungry for a cake, and if Volition delivers them a beautiful german chocolate cake in late August 2006 for the Xbox 360, DMA Design can't really cry foul. They should have known that somebody was secretly plotting to take their golden goose. They should have known that somebody was thinking Next-Gen all the way, and they started way early, secretly plotting to take down the boys from Scotland. Grand Theft Auto IV is supposedly going to hit the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 simultaneously on October 16th 2007. But is it going to be a year too late? What if their target demographic has already found a new crack? Will it be Saint's Row 2 vs. GTA4 in Xmas of 2007?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Again with the questions that no one can answer x_x

Why don't we wait a couple of weeks so we can actually play Saint's Row and see if it's any good. If it sucks, then your question is pointless...if not, then we can start talking.

Oh, and you are completely forgetting the fact that most people will buy the "name" over the game first. People will buy GTA IV just like they buy Madden and Final Fantasy...the real question should be, will they buy Saint's Row 2 AND GTA IV in 2007?

But again, lets wait until the game comes out for this speculation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yep, a typical post of his.

Wasn't anything like I thought it was going to be judging from the title. But my fault for clicking on it after seeing the author.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923
    Again with the questions that no one can answer x_x
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames
    Yep, a typical post of his.

Wasn't anything like I thought it was going to be judging from the title. But my fault for clicking on it after seeing the author.
    I agree, but to tangent a bit, I'd love it if Rockstar would allow Rockstar North to branch out a bit. Right now they're stuck in the rut they were in when they were doing Lemmings... each of the games were good, but at the end of the day they were still Lemmings games.

I'd love to see them pull a Rockstar San Diego and come out of nowhere with something like Table Tennis. Shame that those guys didn't have time to really polish it up