Thread: Gamecube D-Terminal Question

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamecube D-Terminal Question

I'm having a lot of trouble finding technical info on this connection (The one labeled 'Digital AV Out') on the back of the Gamecube. I would like to know its pinout and if its compatible with DVI. Also does anyone know of any AV Recievers/TV Sets that have this input on them?
    Why don't you go play in the other room. Why don't you BURN IN HELL!! - Stewie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I'm pretty sure you're referring to the component input (not DVI) on the back of some Gamecubes (they discontinued this feature around the time the Metroid bundles hit store shelves). The component cables themselves are pretty expensive and hard to come by. I got mine in 2003 or so through Nintendo's website (after waiting through a backorder) but I'm not even sure Nintendo themselves sell them anymore. You might try eBay or something like that, but don't expect to get them any cheaper than about $50.

Oh, and this should probably go in the modern gaming forum.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    I'm pretty sure you're referring to the component input (not DVI) on the back of some Gamecubes (they discontinued this feature around the time the Metroid bundles hit store shelves). The component cables themselves are pretty expensive and hard to come by. I got mine in 2003 or so through Nintendo's website (after waiting through a backorder) but I'm not even sure Nintendo themselves sell them anymore. You might try eBay or something like that, but don't expect to get them any cheaper than about $50.

Oh, and this should probably go in the modern gaming forum.
    Actually it's a digital output port which the component cable (which features a DAC for some strange reason) plugs into. James is looking for the pinout of that port if anyone has it. I think he's inquireing about their being a different cable then the Component as well.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe it's a D-Terminal connector for Japanese TVs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D4_video_connector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand why Gamecube needs to use a separate port for component. Does Gamecube not support RGB?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    I don't understand why Gamecube needs to use a separate port for component. Does Gamecube not support RGB?
    Yes it does, throught the second port.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default GC

The GC D-terminal cable is price because there is a damn chip (Nintendo only) within the connector. That is why no third party has made any D-terminal cables. The D-terminal cables can be modded for VGA or Euro Scart. I have the Euro scart version and that was a real pain to get and hard to come by.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SirDrexl
    I believe it's a D-Terminal connector for Japanese TVs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D4_video_connector
    Maybe its not a D-Terminal connector then because it has 22 pins as apposed to the connector on Wikipedia that only has 14 pins, or maybe it converts to a D-Terminal connector from some proprietary connector that Nintendo is uses, through this chip or DAC it seems to need. I also have heard that there are different standards for the Japanese and US regions D-Connectors.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    Yes it does, throught the second port.
    The PAL GameCube does, yes, but NOT the NTSC Cube natively. You have to frig with the component cable to get it to output the signal in question. As we're in Europe and we want RGB on our imported Cubes, enterprising people here worked out how to do it and combine in one lovely Scart goodness.

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Digital Out port on early GCs is a proprietary connection (I think). Cables exist which have either component video or Japanese D-terminal jacks on the end, both carry the same signal. Both have a DAC built in which converts the digital video out to analog. Both are only made by Nintendo because only Nintendo has access to these DACs. I'm sure some brave intrepid soul will hack a GC DVI or HDMI cable one of these days, til then its off to ebay with wallets open to grab a component or D terminal cable.

On a related note, gamesx has mapped out how to tap digital audio from the same port. Wonder if it actually works... but I'm not brave enough to find out

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks mario2butts for that link, it helps me and others out.

I found a couple more links from the same site that may help to demistify others as well.

The Pin-Out for the AV Multi-Out port found on every Nintendo console since the SNES. http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?...intendomultiav

The Pin-Out for both the Digital AV Out port and the DAC located inside the GC Component and D-Terminal cables, it also shows you the RGB-VGA mod. http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?...tendodigitalav