23 23.96%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Something that has been bothering me on this forum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Something that has been bothering me on this forum

First off, I am only talking about the "for sale posts" on here, not the "for trade" posts..

Almost half the threads I read in here are of people selling items with no prices, instead saying "i dont know what its worth, send me an offer" There is a Antiques Roadshow thing on here where people will tell you what your stuff is worth, not to mention an online rarity guide to the left side of the screen...

I can understand somebody posting a price range they want people to offer for an item, or a "I can haggle" sort of thing .. I understand that, but I personally skip over threads where people list a whole bunch of games with no prices, to me it seems like they arent too serious about selling their item and it will be a waste of time trying to find the secret amount that they could have included in their post to begin with.. I just think it would be easier if everyone at least included a price range on their items they want to sell..

Many sites with a buy/sell/trade forum don't allow the "shoot me an offer"threads, and they will just notify the user who posted the thread to go by the guidelines..
    I think this would be better for DigitalPress, just my opinion though... What is everybody's thoughts on this

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread is kind of confusing to me. If a vote "yay" does that mean I also find it anoying when people don't include prices? Or does that indicate a vote of support for people whose threads don't include prices?

I voted "yay" and I meant that I find threads with no prices to be annoying.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Something that has been bothering me on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman943
    I personally skip over threads where people list a whole bunch of games with no prices
    Problem solved.

I was going to lock this (the forum is for buying and selling after all) but I guess it wouldn't hurt to get more input.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, I meant yay= You find those threads annoying and nay= you dont think they are annoying... I dont think I can edit the poll, sorry.. If I could I would have added a 3rd option

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suckerpunch5
    This thread is kind of confusing to me. If a vote "yay" does that mean I also find it anoying when people don't include prices? Or does that indicate a vote of support for people whose threads don't include prices?

Same here. The people should atleast say what they are hoping to get for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

i voted nay, as to mean that i absoutely hate posts with no prices listed.....if someone wants to sell their item, tell me how much they feel its worth....if i agree, then ill buy it, if not i wont.....i wont waste time sending PMs back and forth all day trying to figure out that one number that they have in their mind that they want for their items....(comments not directed at anyone specifically)
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suckerpunch5

yes and yes...

I generally don't bother with these threads myself...I use to ask, or offer, a price and I would get a reply of "I paid *this* amount* for that game, then you offer another price, and get another complaint...

20 pm's later, you find out the person wants 10 times the price that I could buy it on ePay, which is your right as a seller; to charge what you want, but why not post this in the first place.

unless they think that we are going to be "stupidly uninformed" to offer $50 for a Mario/duck hunt....

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like best offer threads, and it isn't just this message board that they are common (Actually I find them rather uncommon on here) Flipping through the newspaper you'll find a ton of B.O classifieds. It can be irritating if people do it just to get a value check, but if they are serious about selling it B.O it's a good way to get a good deal.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

offer threads usually suck. if someone is selling something fairly common, they should just post a price.

there are times when they are good though. if you've got something rare, it's best to take offers. if you take offers for a gold nwc cart, that's cool. if you sell a ds system with 2 games and take offers, that's not cool.

all that being said, sometimes i don't bother posting prices on some of my sales because i'm just too lazy.

the solution to people taking offers on common stuff is to just lowball them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

I generally don't like the "make an offer" threads either. Sometimes I'll see something I want but I'm not sure what it's worth. If I do decide to pm an offer and the person makes a counter-offer of way more or I don't get a pm back at all, It's a bit embarassing. I don't want people to think I'm lowballing, it's just that I simply don't know what some stuff is worth.

IMO, a lot of time and hassle could be saved if prices were listed. Even a price range would be fine. Just give me something to work with!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Btw I've edited the poll to make the choices a bit more clear

As for the thread itself, actually if it had been shut, I would have reopened it (sorry Kid Ice, difference of opinion here I guess) mainly cos most places I go enforce including prices on things being sold; here is one of the few exceptions.

Indeed, I had thought about suggesting sellers include prices with everything at some point. Guess this might show support for or against. Indeed I do support the prices in sales threads personally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I don't like them either but I have done it myself in the past but that is when it is part of a trade list where I may sell if the price is right. At the same time though I have a list of stuff that I plan on posting that I have priced out and have an idea of what each piece is worth but I would rather sell it as a lot. I have within a $100 idea of what I would like but I'm flexable depending on the offer. So what should I do?

edit: damit I voted wrong

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It amazes me someone will type a billion lines about items for sell but won't have prices listed on any of them.

I agree it is very annoying when posts with no price's are listed. To top it off you sometimes don't get a response to your reply adds to the frustration. The seller provides no updates and the post hangs in limbo. In Bumpsville.

I really overlook threads with no prices because I start feeling like I am lowballing when I don't know where to start. If you send an offer your then left in limbo.

I think prices should be stated for what you want or at the very minimum your absolute lowest your willing to take.

I don't mind posts that state submit
    offers i will pick the best one at 6.00pm
    That is the straight forward approach.

The make me and offer approach is closer to ebay auctions with reserves. The seller knows what he wants for it but for some reason won't put a price next to it.

Just have a make me an offer thread. This will decongest the buying and selling thread. I am all for getting the most for your item. Just state what you want. If I can afford it I will take it if I can't I pass.

Time to go back to buying and selling not buying and haggling
    neo geo system

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why not make it a rule that you have to post a price with your items. I've seen this used on other forums and I think it would save everyone alot of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find they are a waste of time... takes a long time to get around to a final price, even if it's good. And it REALLY bothers me when they list it with no price, I make an offer, and the person just says "no" without making a counter offer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find they are a waste of time... takes a long time to get around to a final price, even if it's good. And it REALLY bothers me when they list it with no price, I make an offer, and the person just says "no" without making a counter offer.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Forum i run requires a price on anything being sold. Just keeps from wasting peoples time with unreasonible offers. Flip side is, it means a bit more work for me as i generally end up helping people set prices.

Strawberry (Level 2) JerseyDevil65's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate when I make an offer and the seller replies back "I'll take $30"
    Well, if you'll take $30 why not just state that in the thread?

When I do make offers, I usually offer a little less than what a game would cost at Game Crazy, Game Stop, etc.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I totally disagree....i usually post multiple items up for sale and I am willing to give people deals for buying multiple items and I am also willing to sell them seperately. If I was exactly sure of the price I wanted then I would say it....but usually I would rather see what the buyers are willing to pay....rather than risking no offers because of posting a price that is too high

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

In the event someone in this chain of replies made a reference to my current thread with unpriced Playstation games.........I am mainly looking to trade those items and keep in mind I am not selling systems, just knick knacks and mostly common games.

The problem I have with naming prices is that it gets complicated when you have a variety of stuff. Do you list prices as "shipped" or "before shipping?" I see threads in which half the prices are written as "before shipping" and the other half of the same thread has "shipped" prices.

If I were to list a "shipped" price for a game that everybody knows is $1, let's say I mark it as $3 or $4, nobody would PM me. Let's get that right out of the way. All most people care about is the absolute lowest price.

When it comes to naming actual prices, I'll be honest. I hate having to think and rethink on them every couple of days for items that aren't selling. Leaving the items open to offers means I don't have to spend time on here adjusting prices a couple times a week if I am hard up for cash and items are not moving. Just my point of view.

I have over 20 positive feedback in the Feedback Forum saying I am very easy to deal with. Ask someone who has done business with me. I am not very demanding and am easy to negotiate with. Not all of us who put up the occasional "offer" requests drive a hard bargain. A couple weeks back, I traded a lot of stuff that might be valued at $20 for one of the most common NES games there is. Enough said.

The reality is that the idea of making a seller an offer isn't a major inconvenience unless he or she is selling a game system and that is only because you don't know how much they want for the system and what THEY think shipping will be.