Thread: Dummy's Guide to Collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dummy's Guide to Collecting

I go to flea markets, pawn shops, game store and the such all the time but I specialize in SNES and know next to nothing about any other system. Now I could do the research but wouldn't it be nice if there was something like a dummy's guide to collecting which could aid you when you were searching through these places. Now, I know that a lot of people will chant DP Guide in unison but what I'm talking about is a short list of the games which will bring you some serious money or are difficult to come a cross which is only about a page or half a page of the essential games for each system that you could check really quick on the fly with out having to much looking. Sure bets for a return on your money.

If this is already been done, then lock, but if its not been put in one single place then let it ride.

I'd tike to have one post per system and the first person to post for that system will maintain that list. That way all of the Genesis games will be together and all the NES games will be together and so on. So, if that sounds cool let it fly. I'll start with SNES.

RARE GAMES
    Aerobiz Supersonic 10-20
    Aerofighters 30-40
    Adventures of Kid Kleets 5-10
    An American Tail 5-10
    Ardy Lightfoot 5-10
    Bebe's Kids 5-10
    Bronkie 5-15
    Captain Novolin 5-10
    Chavez 5-10
    Chavez 2 5-10
    Dream TV 5-10
    Final Fight Guy 10-20
    Fun N Games 5-10
    Hurricanes 5-10
    Incantation 5-10
    King Aurthur and the Knights of Justice 5-10
    Mr Nutz 5-15
    No Escape 5-10
    Oscar 5-15
    Packy and Marlon 5-15
    Pieces 5-10
    Pocky and Rocky 2 10-20
    Prince of Persia 5-15
    Realm 5-10
    Ren and Stimpy Fire Dogs 10-20
    Rex Ronan 5-10
    Sim Ant 10-20
    Super Noah's Ark 3D 10-20
    Twisted Tales of Spike McFang 15-25
    Zero the Kamikazee Squirl 10-25

CASH GAMES
    Breath of Fire 15-25
    Breat of Fire 2 15-25
    Chronotrigger 30-50
    Donkey Kong Country Competition Cartridge XXX
    Dracula X 30-40
    Earthbound 40-55
    EVO 35-50
    Exertainment Mountain Bike/ Speed Racer XXX
    Final Fantasy 2 15-20
    Final Fantasy 30-40
    Gemfire 10-20
    Ghengis Khan 15-20
    Harvest Moon 50-70
    International Superstar Soccer Deluxe XXX
    Lord of Darkness 10-20
    Lufia 15-25
    Lufia 2 15-25
    Mega Man 7 15-30
    Mega Man X2 20-30
    Mega Man X3 30-45
    Metal Marines 15-25
    Metal Warriors 35-50
    Ninja Gaiden Trilogy 35-50
    Ogre Battle 15-25
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2 10-20
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3 10-20
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms 4 10-20
    StarFox Super Weekend XXX
    Super Copa XXX
    Super Mario RPG 30-50
    Uncharter Waters 15-25
    Uncharter Waters New Horizons 15-25

XXX means you can almost name your price. As most times carts are the most availible at the kind of places, the prices reflect carts only.

I have one request that this be a sticky so it is easliy found.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You could, more or less, do this with the online guide.

First pick your system, choose rarity > 5 for your search, and click US game releases.

Next do $ > 30. You can pick a different number if you want...I think for most systems, most titles are less than 30, so the list would include all the "expensive" games. edit: 20 would probably be better

I think doing it this way would give you a more definitive list that you won't have to argue about. I think your idea to put all the "desirable" games in a single list is a good one, but be ready for a lot of arguments if just anyone can stroll up and throw up a bunch of numbers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You sir are correct but I would hope that whoever did start up the next system would know what the are talking about.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by 50TBRD
    You sir are correct but I would hope that whoever did start up the next system would know what the are talking about.
    To be honest, IMO it's about more than knowing what you are talking about. My bag is 3DO, which has a relatively small library, and I doubt I could list the valuable games (rare or otherwise) off the top of my head, much less list their values with any degree of accuracy.

The you get to the experience factor. I personally have never even seen a Robinson's Requiem, but I've seen several Lucienne's Quests which is widely considered the hardest 3DO game to find. So I put Robinson's Requiem on my list and someone posts "WTF Robinson's Requiem isn't rarer than Lucienne's Quest". An attempt to make a list would get derailed by a number of these arguments.

Not that it wouldn't make for interesting conversation, but if your goal is truly to create a "Dummies Guide" that you can just grab and go, it's easier to just run a query on the database and complile the results.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I just read the forum and try to make notes as to the rarity of games.

For example, a few months ago DreamTR started up a conversation with me regarding the rarity of International Superstar Soccer and its sequel, ISSS Deluxe, for the SNES. I was convinced it wasn't rare at all, but after speaking to him I learned otherwise.

The rarity of a game depends on both your physical location and the people who live around you.

These days my business is to buy old PC games and resell them on eBay. I'm no super expert on the subject but there's a few games that I recognize now, and try to find. Sierra games are really popular, as are some rarer adventure and role playing games from the 1980's. The best way to learn is to poke around and see what things are worth to people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper
    I just read the forum and try to make notes as to the rarity of games.

For example, a few months ago DreamTR started up a conversation with me regarding the rarity of International Superstar Soccer and its sequel, ISSS Deluxe, for the SNES. I was convinced it wasn't rare at all, but after speaking to him I learned otherwise.

The rarity of a game depends on both your physical location and the people who live around you.

These days my business is to buy old PC games and resell them on eBay. I'm no super expert on the subject but there's a few games that I recognize now, and try to find. Sierra games are really popular, as are some rarer adventure and role playing games from the 1980's. The best way to learn is to poke around and see what things are worth to people.
    What I'm trying to do is make collecting accessible to everyone no matter what system you specialize in. If you collect Genesis games, you don't have to pass on something that maybe rare and or expensive for the NES. I always wonder if money isn't staring me striaght in the face but I'm to ignorant to know because I don't know anything about that system. NES games are pretty much a mystery to me but I'm sure that I'm seen something good but not known it.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this is a great idea. I have a list of my own that encompasses almost every system. However there are a few systems that I am less knowledgable about. My NES and Genesis knowledge are pretty good. So if nobody else does them before I get the chance I'll help out. I need my list in front of me to get prices near exact though. I may be off by $5-10 without my list in front of me.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I also think this is a great idea and hope to see some more lists posted.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    You could, more or less, do this with the online guide.

First pick your system, choose rarity > 5 for your search, and click US game releases.

Next do $ > 30. You can pick a different number if you want...I think for most systems, most titles are less than 30, so the list would include all the "expensive" games. edit: 20 would probably be better

I think doing it this way would give you a more definitive list that you won't have to argue about. I think your idea to put all the "desirable" games in a single list is a good one, but be ready for a lot of arguments if just anyone can stroll up and throw up a bunch of numbers.
    This is exactly what I do, if I plan on going somewhere that I might find games. There are certain games that everybody knows are worth money, or at least rare. The ones I am not that familiar with, I just write them down on the back of a business card or index card and then toss the card (or cards) into my wallet. As I need it, I'll put it out somewhere. I just tell anyone I run into that I am shopping for my nephew, who gave me a list for his birthday. I only do it for the systems that I see games for most often. Keeps me from paying $6-8 for a game that is worth $2-3. It also keeps me from passing on the idea of paying $6-8 for something I could sell for $20 or above.