Thread: AV Mod for original Famicom

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default AV Mod for original Famicom

I have an original (not clone) famicom. I was wondering if anyone has a good tutorial with parts needed on how to add av cables to the system. I got this system quite a while back and have never been able to get it to work with just the rf on my TV. I am not even sure if the system even works as I don't know if it is powering up. Is there any way to test the system for this? Any help on this matter would be apprecieated. Thanks.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Re: AV Mod for original Famicom

Quote Originally Posted by silkd
    I am not even sure if the system even works as I don't know if it is powering up. Is there any way to test the system for this?
    Better get the system working before you add A/V. Obviously, the Famicom lacks an LED, so the only basic way to know if it is powering up is to hook it up to a TV and plug in a game cartridge. A regular NES RF switch (grey box) will work with the Famicom (that's what I use) and will yield a picture just about as good as A/V, as long as it's in good shape. The channel switch on the back of the Famicom says 'Channel 1/Channel 2' but the TV should probably be set to channel 95 or 96 (you may have to check around, that's where mine works). You say you don't know if the console is powering up...do you have a (correct) power supply and/or game cartridges? Please elaborate.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am using my Super Famicom power supply to power it and it is confirmed working. I have many famicom carts that I am using that are confirmed working through a convert to my american NES. If it isn't powering up anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? I have tried my old nes (working) rf and tried on ch 1/2 from the famicom and all channels on my TV....didn't get anything.....any ideas?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Both the Super Famicom AC adapter and NES RF switch should work with the Famicom. If they are both verified working, your set-up does not appear to be the problem.

Be sure to clean all of the game cartridges. Open up the console and examine the insides for any signs of damage. You can use a voltmeter to check the board circuits. Clean the console thoroughly, inside and out. Make sure the TV/Game switch on the back of the FC console is set to Game. The TV should be set to channel 95/96, depending on how the system switch is set (channel 1/2). To eliminate any possibility of interference, leave the cable wire totally disconnected (don't connect it to the RF switch).

If the system still does not work, unfortunately, it could be any number of problems. Perhaps I am stating the obvious, but unfortunately, I've never had a totally dead FC, so what I've given is my best advice. Good luck.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have tried everything thing you said. As far as testing if the system is powering up by checking the board circuits, if you can supply any tutorial there, please let me know. Otherwise, if anyone has diagrams on modding the system to use AV plugs, I'm all ears as I really don't have anything to lose. Thanks for all the responses guys.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have instructions for modding the Famicom for AV, but it's really simple. If you open up the case and look at the bottom of the circuit board, there should be a couple of solder pads labeled audio and video. You can just wire those directly up to the TV without any amplification or anything.

If you want to try to make it work with RF, I recommend trying more than just channel 96 or 97. Try everything from 80 up, it seems to differ from TV to TV. The only time I've seen a broken Famicom, it was because the power regulator died. It uses the same LM7805 (or whatever) that the NES and SNES uses, so you can either buy a new one for a buck or two or just pull it out of a NES.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

any luck with this thing powering up?