Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Steven's Obscure Super Famicom Impressions Thread (Top 50 countdown + closing remarks)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #32

50: Battle Cross
    49: Mickey Tokyo Disneyland
    48: Little Magic
    47: Rendering Ranger: R2
    46: Violinist of Hamelin
    45: Super Back to the Future II
    44: Nangoku Shounen Papuwa-kun
    43: Keeper
    42: Ghost Sweeper Mikami
    41: Go Go Ackman
    40: Poko Nyan!
    39: Araiguma Rascal
    38: Super Tekkyu Fight!
    37: Ganbare Daiku no Gensan
    36: Power Soukoban
    35: The Firemen
    34: Super Genjin 2
    33: Super Bomberman Panic Bomber World

#32: BS SHOCKMAN

BS Shockman, or technically BS Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman Zero, is a unique title in this top 50 countdown. Why? Unlike the other games on this list so far, this one was never officially released on cartridge. It was slated for a Super Famicom release back in 1994, but was instead relegated to the Satellaview device (a downloading service in Japan in the '90s). But of course, you can find a way to play it today and you probably should. While nothing earth shattering, it's simply a fun little 2-player action romp. Of course, the Shockman franchise began on the PC-Engine, so similar to Bonk, it was shocking (har har) to see it being associated with the SNES back in 1994. It blends aspects from Mega Man, Mario, Street Fighter and there's even a small hint of Castlevania thrown in for good measure. Its 2 player mode is the best thing about it, as players can combine to unleash super special tag team attacks they could not otherwise do on their own. Each of the characters, Raita and Azuki, also have special moves they can execute on their own. This includes a Dragon Punch and Hadoken-like blast.

Featuring only 8 stages, the game is rather short (45 minutes or so) and is unfortunately a cake walk. That's pretty much its most glaring flaw. Other than that, what you have here is a very fun game that feels like something of a mix between a traditional platformer and a beat 'em up. Nail enemies with the Hadoken blast and watch them fly backwards in slow motion (done on purpose for dramatic effect). The whole thing never takes itself seriously but yet it also doesn't feel like a parody or a spoof, which I very much appreciate. It somehow manages to ride that fine line between semi-serious and silly. All in all, if you ever wanted to experience a game that spliced Mario with Mega Man, you could do far worse than BS Shockman. Er, BS Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman Zero. Call it whatever you want -- I call it a quality 2-player action game more than deserving of its place on this list.

Last edited by Steven; 10-09-2016 at 04:06 PM.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Ah thanks for the correction, Rob. I am not nearly as well versed in the world of Famicom as I am with the Super Famicom, so my apologies for that omission. Good to know! And I'm glad you're enjoying the countdown. It's been a blast for me revisiting these old favorites
    No problem! Also, I'm just now starting to put some serious time into some of these, partially thanks to this thread. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #31

Earlier tonight (technically last night by the time I post this), I caught the opening night showing of SHIN GODZILLA here in the US. It's a limited showing from October 11-18 only. I grew up a huge Godzilla fan. In fact, when I started this topic back in September 2006, I opened by reviewing Godzilla: Kaijuu Daikessen. If you told me then that TEN years and a month later there would be a Japanese Godzilla film showing in an American theatre, I would never believe it. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and recommend catching it in theatres while you still can. There is a ton of dialogue and political commentary, moreso than any other Godzilla film. But I found it refreshing -- Shin Godzilla felt like an 'adult' take on Godzilla. It takes you on a wild ride that depicts what it might feel like if you're a high ranking governmental official trying to navigate a Godzilla crisis. It won't resonate with everyone, but I enjoyed this reboot of Godzilla. I liked it more than the 2014 American version.

Welcome back the king of monsters

32: BS Shockman

#31: MAJYUUOU

It's October, which means a month full of horror movies and horror-themed video games for us Halloween geeks. I recently tried to watch Rob Zombie's 31, but couldn't get through it even halfway. Speaking of 31, it's appropriate for this next game to be #31. The SNES isn't known for having very many dark and mature titles in its library. However, Majyuuou definitely qualifies as such and is perfect to pick up and play during this month of October. AKA King of Demons, at first glance it appears to be something of a cross between Castlevania and Resident Evil. While it never quite lives up to such an enticing combination, it is a rather fun and sordid romp through hell. The imagery is unlike anything else you'll find on the SNES. You start out in human form armed with a gun and a giant Hadoken-like blast. The interesting part comes at the end of each level where an orb allows you to transform into a savage beast. In all, there are four forms (coincidentally enough there are four forms of Godzilla in the new Shin Godzilla film). To get the good ending, you must use all 3 forms at some point before the final level. At which point you will then unlock the fourth and final, ultimate transformation. Each form, naturally, has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Your main character's sprite is a little too small for my liking, which is a little disappointing, but the game does feature a good amount of details to make up for this. It does an excellent job of sucking you into its decaying, macabre and decrepit underbelly of a seedy universe. The control could have been a little bit smoother, admittedly, but it still plays relatively well enough (don't expect anything near Super Mario World brilliance). Like I said, don't expect this to be an epic gem and you'll probably enjoy it, especially during this time of the year. While it never quite lives up to the hype I created for it in my own imagination, I'm happy we even got this game to begin with. There simply aren't enough games like this on the Super Nintendo so when one comes along this bizarre, hellish and competently developed, you gladly take it with no questions asked.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #30

31: Majyuuou

#30: MICKEY & DONALD: MAGICAL ADVENTURE 3

The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse brings back a lot of fond memories for many of us. One of the earlier "classics" on the Super Nintendo, Capcom continued to flex its 16-bit muscles with a game that played as well as it looked. I, for one, have warm memories of Magical Quest that winter of 1992. Remember that extra thick Nintendo Power holiday issue featuring Magical Quest on its cover? And who could forget those classic Nintendo Power square tile layouts? Ah, the memories. It's too bad kids today will never experience the feeling of picking up a gaming magazine from their local store (or from their mailbox). Nothing rivals the excitement of seeing a brand new issue, filled with the latest and greatest video games, and reading that sucker from cover to cover for hours on end. Those were certainly some, pardon the pun, MAGICAL times.

A few years later Capcom released the sequel The Great Circus Mystery. While it was viewed by many as solid and competent, many also felt the original was superior (despite the sequel offering a 2-player co-op mode). The Great Circus Mystery was just missing the magic of the original. In December 1995, 3 years following the release of The Magical Quest, Capcom released the final game in the trilogy. It never made its way to American shores as the SNES was dying a quick and quiet death by late '95/early '96. It was Minnie Mouse out and Donald Duck in. The classic costume system returns but this time the suit powers differ for Mickey and Donald, making it worthwhile to sample both characters. Of course, that classic refined Mickey gameplay you've come to love returns (including the lovely snatch-a-block-out-of-the-air-and-heave-it-at-the-bad-guys format), but now it also features the best visuals of the series. It's gorgeous; some of the animations (particularly from Donald) are simply priceless. Mickey and Donald: Magical Adventure 3 is easily one of the better Super Famicom-exclusive platformers ever released. And a perfect companion piece to The Magical Quest. Capcom could do almost no wrong back in the mid '90s, and this is simply another shining example of such.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #29

30: Mickey and Donald: Magical Adventure 3

#29: GHOST CHASER DENSEI

The best Super Famicom beat 'em up to never leave Japan? Not Iron Commando. Sorry, Undercover Cops. From where I sit, hands down it's Ghost Chaser Densei. Sure it's got many of the beat 'em up tropes. Three characters to pick from. One is well-balanced, one is strong and one is the token weak but quick female. Charging fat bad guys. You name it, you'll probably find it here. But what makes this games stand out from the crowd? A couple things. 1. You can block. 2. You kip-up whenever you get back up from being knocked down. This actually damages bad guys within reach. Sick. 3. In 2-player co-op mode you can pull off special tag team moves (similar to BS Shockman which was featured earlier on this list). 4. Know how most beat 'em ups allow you to use special moves at the cost of a little health? Not the case here! Instead, there is a separate meter specifically for your special moves. And yes, that's plural. Rather than having one special move, each of the 3 protagonists have a couple. Best yet, the power bar regenerates slowly, meaning you can pull off special moves intermittently without compromising your health meter. Brilliant.

While it's no Turtles in Time, hell, what on Super Nintendo is? Ghost Chaser Densei is a top-notch beat 'em up that takes one back the halcyon days when side-scrolling beat 'em ups ruled the arcade scene. That's because it originated as an arcade game only in Japan. Released in 1994, Denjin Makai was later ported to the Super Famicom in 1995. The arcade game had 6 characters to choose from but the SFC port cut out 3, turning them into boss characters. It's also missing a level. Despite these cuts, Ghost Chaser Densei still shines. Hey, at least it kept its excellent 2-player co-op mode (I'm looking at you, Undercover Cops). I just looked on eBay and am "shocked not shocked" that a cartridge only copy commands over $125. Whew. It's tough to recommend it at THAT price, but sadly that's just the nature of the beast these days. BTW, there was a Japan only arcade sequel, Denjin Makai II AKA Guardians. Check it out on YouTube. Makes you kind of miss the good old days when side-scrolling beat 'em ups were king. Hell, they're still kings to me, damnit.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #28

29: Ghost Chaser Densei

#28: MAGICAL POP'N

One of the more well known "obscure" Super Famicom-exclusive games, Magical Pop'n is an action platformer that conjures memories of more than one classic gaming franchise. If Zelda were ever made into a platformer, I imagine it would look something like Magical Pop'n. You attack enemies with a short-ranged sword, but can gain powers as you go along. The first power-up to acquire is a projectile, but it comes at the cost of 2 stars. Stars are scattered throughout the game's six stages. Collect as many as you can to increase your sub weapon ammunition. It's similar to Castlevania with its sub weapons and heart system. These sub weapons expand the game and allow you to perform some fancy tricks. For example, there is a grappler that turns the game into a slight Bionic Commando affair. The grappler can be employed an unlimited amount of times as it costs zero stars to use, but is strictly for swinging purposes only. As you can imagine, the more potent the sub weapon, the more hearts it will cost to use.

The game presents a fairly decent challenge. Unfortunately there is no password or save system. But thankfully, there is a handy cheat code that opens up a debug menu. Pause the game and press Up, Down, X, Y, Left, Right, A, B, Up, Up. This allows you to tweak with things such as lives, hearts, a God mode and even a super useful level select cheat. That way you don't need to beat the game in one sitting. It also allows you to revisit any favorite level on a whim. To me these codes are simply the best kind because they go a long way to enhance my enjoyment of a game as well as increase longevity. Magical Pop'n isn't as epic as I was hoping -- I'm not crazy about the protagonist's speech samples and the platforming isn't super SUPER crisp -- but it's still a damn fine game, really. There are way more positives than negatives, for sure. It does command an arm and leg today which makes recommend buying a copy hard-pressed to do, but you should certainly find a way to experience it somehow. Not bad at all for obscure little developer Polestar who has only four titles to its name. This was their very first game and while it isn't perfect, Magical Pop'n certainly makes a splash in the vast ocean of Super Famicom goodness.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #27

28: Magical Pop'n

#27: POP'N TWINBEE RAINBOW BELL ADVENTURES

For something zany and slightly different (not to mention insanely colorful), try this next entry. Pop'n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures (I dare you to say that fast 5 times) is an action platformer with a twist. Its main strength is its versatility. Pick from 3 varied characters. There's a punch meter where when charged allows you to unleash a mega shot capable of destroying barriers, revealing new sections of the level. The jump meter when charged allows you to fly around like a maniac. It's very Rocket Knight/Sparkster-esque. TwinBee is the well-balanced one. WinBee: shorter jump meter, longer punch meter. GwinBee: shorter punch meter, longer jump meter. There's a character for everyone's preferred playing style. Each of the "Bees" has their own special weapon (mallet, lasso, rattle). Slain enemies will drop a bell. These bells come in varied colors and as you might guess, each color serves a purpose. A blue bell grants you a gun. Another color grants you temporary invincibility. One color gives you your special weapon. You lose all power-ups if you're damaged, but you can kill more enemies to recollect your said power-ups. Speaking of killing the bad guys, check out how versatile this game is. Eliminate baddies by: 1. hop and bop 2. flying fist (during flight) 3. special weapon 4. mega shot 5. gun 6. punch (your default attack before acquiring your special weapon) 7. making contact while invincible. This versatility goes a long way to making the game feel different from the crowd, as well as minimizing repetitiveness while playing it.

In addition, there are two 2-player modes. The first is a 2-player co-op mode, although admittedly this isn't the best 2-player game around. Simply because when one player decides to take flight it leaves the other player off screen and causes for some awkward moments. It kind of takes away the joy of flying which arguably makes up a good chunk of the game's appeal in the first place. Still, it's nice Konami gave us the option of playing co-op with a friend. The second 2-player mode is a battle mode. You and your friend are dumped into a split screen war zone where you have 3 minutes to defeat your rival. It's interesting to say the least, and off the top of my head I can't think of another SNES 2-player game that offers a split screen versus mode. If you know of one, sound off! To top things off, there's a password system for the six worlds so that you don't have to beat the whole thing in one sitting. Rainbow Bell Adventures is definitely one of Konami's most underrated gems from the 16-bit era.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #26

27: Pop'n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures

#26: POP'N SMASH

(Yes, that's three straight POP'N titles. The Japanese must love that word...)

One thing about the SNES that never ceases to amaze me is how deep and diverse its library is. There are so many beloved classics, but what I really enjoy are the lesser known games that are just plain fun to play. Obscure gems that rarely get the spotlight they so richly deserve. Pop'n Smash is one such example. Heisei Inu Monogatari Bow: Pop’n Smash, to give it its full proper name, is a game you rarely ever hear about or see on SNES recommendation lists. And that's a shame. Imagine a mix between Pong and Breakout, then add in typical Japanese wackiness and shenanigans... and you get Pop'n Smash. If that isn't enough to sell you on this title, then I don't know what will. Pop'n Smash is centered around canine Bow, a dog character from a famous Japanese manga and anime back in the '90s. "Bow Wow" was a Japanese manga created by Terry Yamamoto. It enjoyed a lengthy run from 1992 to 1999. There was also a 40 episode anime series (1993-1994). Bow has more than a passing resemblance to Spuds MacKenzie, the star of a Super Bowl commercial that aired way back in 1987.

The objective is to bat the ball into your opponent's goal zone. Along the way there are obstacles such as breakable blocks, pots and even bombs to add a little extra spice to it all. Choose from several different characters and stages. Players can make dramatic diving saves as well as cross over into the opponent's playing area. I enjoy the freedom this game affords. It's also got a great little sense of humor. You can select different tools to bat the ball. This ranges from a tennis racket to a mallet to even a twig. Yes, a freaking twig. It's completely silly and tons of fun. It's one of those games that anyone can pick up and play, and enjoy. Even non-gamers. Pop'n Smash is a smashing good time (sorry). And easily one of the many unsung obscure gems of the Super Famicom library.

Brand new URL!

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    (Yes, that's three straight POP'N titles. The Japanese must love that word...)
    Funny thing about that... in Japan, that Twinbee game is just called Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures. The Pop'n part was added for the European release for name recognition, as Pop'n Twinbee had already been released there. The Twinbee name was relatively unknown in Europe before Pop'n Twinbee was released there (the arcade game Detana!! Twinbee was released there, but under the title Bells and Whistles). The same thing happened when the GameBoy game Twinbee Da!! was released in Europe, it was retitled Pop'n Twinbee.

On a related note, I've always thought that if Pop'n Twinbee or Rainbow Bell Adventures were released in the U.S., they'd probably have been retitled Super Stinger and Stinger: Rainbow Bell Adventures, to tie it in with the lone Twinbee game released here, Stinger (NES, originally released as Moero TwinBee: Cinnamon Hakushi wo Sukue! for the Famicom Disk System, later rereleased as a cart along with Akumajo Dracula and Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #25

Good stuff, Rob. Thanks for sharing that info.

Well, we're halfway through! Let's check out #25 on the countdown.

26: Pop'n Smash

#25: SANRIO WORLD SMASH BALL!

Licensed video games back in the mid '90s were hit and miss. Probably more miss than hit. But this next game, not surprisingly (as it is #25), is thankfully a hit. Remember those Sanrio "Hello Kitty" stores? There was actually a Super Famicom game based around Sanrio released in the summer of 1993. At first glance one is inclined to think it's a clone of Windjammers, but Windjammers actually came out 7 months later (February 1994). Instead, think of Sanrio Smash as a fun little mix of Pong and Breakout. It's very similar to the previous game, Pop'n Smash, but it plays *slightly* better. It's a little more smooth and polished. Choose from 4 Sanrio character and 20 different level layouts. There is a 1-player mode complete with passwords, but it's the 2-player game where Sanrio Smash shines. It's cutthroat, competitive and awesome fun. Similar to Pop'n Smash, it's got that pick up and play charm to it. It's also got a high level of replayability. Hell, I've owned it 10+ years now, and still find myself firing it up on occasion. It just sort of hits a sweet spot for me. And it's a game I can pop in and enjoy for 15 minutes.

There are power-ups to sway the tide of battle one way or the other. For example, one power-up causes all the blocks protecting your rival's goal line to disappear. There is also a super shot that players can unleash once they've charged up their meter. This is done by standing still and holding the proper button. The super shot causes your little guy to smack the ball 250 miles per hour. The animation is such that it can get up to 2 hits depending on circumstances (i.e. the disc bouncing off a block right back to you). So some strategy is involved as you dance through the level, picking your spots to power up your special meter. The worst thing is getting caught snoozing and letting the ball past your line of defense as you try to fill up your power bar. On an interesting side note, there is no music whatsoever during play. It's just the sound of the disc bouncing around. Also, weighing in at a HEFTY two megs (yes, TWO), it's the smallest SNES game along with Mr. Do! and Space Invaders. Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean, the Super Nintendo's biggest games at 48 megs each, are a whopping 24 times bigger than Sanrio Smash. But as we all know, never judge a 16-bit game by its meg count. Sanrio World Smash Ball! is a smash. Sorry. I mean, a ball. Damnit. Look, it's pretty damn good, OK? So get it if you can, or something.

Super Play Magazine speaking its mind back in the day...

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #24

25: Sanrio World Smash Ball!

#24: SPARK WORLD

We go from Sanrio World to Spark World. This game is, as you can clearly see, a most blatant Super Bomberman clone. There is a 1-2 player mode where you must go through several different themes (i.e. city, desert, jungle, etc.) There are 9 themes in all, with each theme having 3 stages and the 4th one being that theme's boss. But of course, the meat and potatoes is the 4-player battle mode. Similar to Bomberman the options are extremely adjustable, right down to the ability to select varying difficulty levels for EACH computer controlled opponent (if you're playing by yourself). Each player is able to sustain two hits, which makes for nice, lengthy battles and a chance at redemption if you accidentally mess up say in the first half minute of a match. There are some slight twists though that go a long way to making the game more fun. The boxing glove power-up icon allows you to punch your OPPONENT(S) rather than the fuel barrel (bomb). Now that's sick. There are also "?" icons that can grant you amazing offensive capabilities, or the complete opposite. One such example is a 30 second countdown may appear over your head. You can transfer this curse to anyone else and whoever has it when it reaches 0 dies. As you can imagine, this leads to some frenetic and chaotic moments as you either race desperately around the field trying to pass it on (in "It Follows" fashion) or you're madly running away trying to avoid it at all costs.

I also like how the color of the sparks match your car's color. But perhaps best of all, there is a "rival" screen that shows you who killed you and who your "rival" should be for the following round. When one car kills the other 3, it leads to some good laughs as the 3 killed may very well decide to team up on the rival for the next round. There is a very subtle sense of black humor with this screen. I mean, you usually know who kills you, but just seeing it visually spelled out for you does go a long way in drawing the battle lines in the sand rather emphatically. If you enjoy Bomberman in the least and like having a slew of 4-player party games on hand just because you never know when your pals might drop by, then I strongly recommend adding Spark World to your party mix. It's definitely not as great as the Super Bomberman titles, but as far as alternatives go, it gets the job done. And it deserves some rightful recognition. So here it is, 24th on the list. Well done, Bombercar, er, I mean, Spark World. Well freakin' done.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #23

24: Spark World

#23: SUPER BOMBERMAN 5

Move out of the way, Spark World, here comes the original. Quick, think of the SNES franchise (excluding sports) that saw the most sequels? Super Bomberman. Gamers in the US got parts 1 and 2. But 3, 4 and 5 were released in Japan (3 also saw a release in Europe). These games are perhaps most notable for adding a 5th bomber to the mix, but they also feature a whole new slew of bombs and gimmicks. Really, you could put 3, 4 or 5 in this slot, but I chose 5 because I do feel it's the best of the non-US Super Bomberman titles. Not only does it feature some stages from the four previous Bomberman titles (thus making it feel slightly like a "remix") but it has a better overall battle zone selection than 3 or 4. This is aided by the 3 bonus battle zones (making for a total of 13) which is noteworthy because the code only works on a specific controller. That being Hudson's very own Super Joy Card. Well, it's either get the pad (roughly $20 these days) or plop down the $400 or so for Super Bomberman 5 GOLD edition cartridge. Yeah, I went with the controller route, and if you want the 3 bonus stages, you should too.

Not only is there a controller-specific code, but this game also features a mad bomber option with the ability to kill someone and switch places. It brings a whole new intensity to the mad bomber option. There are also codes that will change the layout of each battle zone. There are actually four different layouts for each battle zone, which adds to the map variation and expands replay value even further than what it already would have been. (Super Bomberman 3 and 4 also has these cheat codes). There's also a hidden bomber to unlock, the Golden Bomber. Overall, you can't go wrong with either Super Bomberman 3, 4 or 5. Definitely get at least one of those sequels because it's nice having that 5th extra bomber. It's nice to have in case you ever have four friends visiting instead of three. I still have a soft spot for the original Super Bomberman, but 5 isn't too far behind. After that, 2, 3 and 4 are somewhat interchangeable.

Upper left: Default
    Upper right: 4622
    Bottom left: 0413
    Bottom right: 0926

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Halloween Special

Being Halloween season and all, I replayed Super Castlevania IV the other night and man... it never fails to satisfy. I'd like to share a re-telling of the game plot with the help of Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers... hope you enjoy it and get a little Halloween/Castlevania kick outta it

"COME ON old-timer! Let's go!"
    "HUR-RY UP! HUR-RY UP!"

*cough*

*HONK HONK*

"Get in here old man! .... I AIN'T GOT 'TIL JUDGMENT DAY!"

"Thank you."
    "Anything for a fellow pilgrim. We're all on a quest. Sometimes we need help getting where we want to be."

"HA-CHOO!"

"Reverend Jackson P. Sayer of Dumont County, pleased to make your acquaintance."

"How far you going, Mr. Sayer?"

"God's country... Promise Land. Where are you heading, Mr. uh?"
    "... Loomis. Haddonfield."

"Car trouble?"

"... Sort of..."

"... You're hunting it ain't ya?"

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Halloween Special Part II

"GOD DAMN YOU MICHAEL DIE DAMN YOU!"

"YEAH you're hunting it all right. JUST LIKE ME."

"What are you hunting Mr. Sayer?"

"Apocalypse, End of the World, Armageddon. It's always got a face and a name.

I've been hunting the bastard for 30 years, give or take. Come close a time or two.

TOO DAAAMN CLOSE.

You can't kill Damnation, mister. IT DON'T DIE LIKE A MAN DIES."
    "I know that Mr. Sayer."

"OH you're a pilgrim all right! Yeah, I saw it on your face back there in the dust. I saw it clear as breasts and blue suede shoes."
    "You're sharp, Reverend."
    "Speaking of which, let me tell you a story about a fellow pilgrim of ours; one that my great grandfather used to tell me....

... his name was Simon Belmont...

NOTE: CLICK on the Castlevania theme below! And read the text below. It fits perfectly to the images and text.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sX3fjpkFwk

Those fools should have never revived the dark demon! But they did JUST THAT on one foul and malicious night.... the night HE CAME HOME!

It doesn't matter where you go, Mr. Loomis. It can be Dumont County or Haddonfield; evil's all the same -- always got a face and a name. In Transylvania, a small peaceful country out in medieval Europe, there lies a legend that says once every 100 years, when the power of Christ wanes, the forces of evil revive through the prayers of those with wicked hearts. That corrupted evil manifests itself in the form of the one and only, Count DRACULA

And with each revival, his dark power grows stronger. His goal is to turn all humanity into creatures of darkness, to be ruled under his iron fist. He has appeared in this world many times, and there are many people who fear that in his next appearance, he may well be unstoppable

There is one group that has always been around to see that Dracula is defeated: the Belmont family. For generations the Belmonts have passed along the secrets and skills of vampire-hunting to the eldest child of the family. While many of the Belmonts have lived peaceful lives without encountering the Duke of Darkness, they remain ever vigilant. There are occasional skirmishes with lesser monsters, but the Belmont clan always manages to emerge victorious

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Halloween Special Part III

100 years have passed since the last battle between Dracula and the Belmonts. Tensions mount as Transylvanians reported mysterious sightings of odd creatures appearing under the cover of darkness. Some folks believed it was an omen while many others were convinced it was nothing more than a mere bout of paranoia. Despite the divided ties, the good citizens remained united and a curfew was invoked for precautionary reasons. Children were encouraged to stay out no later than 5 PM

With the curfew in full effect, weeks passed without incidence. Then, tragedy struck when a farmer slept walked into town at the witching hour. The next morning, shrill screams of horror echoed across the land when only the farmer's entrails were found lying on the cobbled road by the clock tower. But rather than fleeing, the people banded together in this time of great need. On the night of Easter, a grand carnival was held in town to celebrate the resurrection of Christ

Meanwhile, on the outskirts of town inside an old abbey, a heathenistic group held a ceremony attempting to revive the Duke of Darkness. As they carried out their ritual, dark thunderclouds descended over the countryside. The sinister group stirred itself into a frenzy of mysterious chanting and pagan dancing when a single thunderbolt struck the abbey. The ground shook violently under their feet as the abbey walls shattered. Once more, the almighty Dracula LIVES!

The time has come for the young successor Simon Belmont to call forth the powers of good to aid him in his battle. Armed with his mystical whip, his courage and the centuries-old knowledge of Belmont family training, he sets forth on his mission... the mist clears... but the battle before Simon Belmont is only BUT beginning..."

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #22

23: Super Bomberman 5

#22: SD F-1 GRAND PRIX

Super Mario Kart meets a cast of Chuck E. Cheeses rejects. That's the best way to describe SD F-1 Grand Prix. If you were sad back in the mid '90s that there was never a Super Mario Kart 2 on the SNES, then well, this next game ain't quite that but it certainly stands as a solid alternative and an adequate companion piece to Super Mario Kart. Visually, being released 3 years later in 1995, SD F-1 Grand Prix has a leg up on Super Mario Kart. Of course it doesn't play as smoothly, but that's not a huge surprise coming from a little company such as Video System. Choose from one of 10 different cutesy animal drivers, and compete all around the world in a variety of interesting and cool looking race tracks. The game looks great and the diverse looking tracks help bring it to life.

As expected, there is a two player mode where you can select 1 of (surprise, surprise) 4 battle courses to duke it out to the death. There's also a straight laced 10 player mode (sorry, only up to 2 humans can play) where it's pure as pure can get. Not interested in such a cut and dry Grand Prix mode? Then select Crash Mode, which also pits 10 racers on a track but now there are icons littered throughout that include projectiles and the like, with the devious ability to hamper and hinder the opposition. It's Super Mario Kart 1.5 if you will. Overall, it's not as great as Super Mario Kart but as far as SNES alternatives go, this is the cream of the crop. If you enjoy kart racing games then I highly recommend SD F-1 Grand Prix. Yet another fun Super Famicom exclusive that sadly never saw the light of day in the good ol' US of A. Boy, there sure has been a lot of those on this list, eh?

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default 10 Year Anniversary Tribute

10 years ago, October 24, 2006, this holy grail arrived at long last after a dramatic nine month odyssey

Tonight (as I write this it's October 24, 2016) marks the 10 year anniversary since my lot of 40+ Super Play issues arrived. For those who don't know, Super Play was a UK published Super Nintendo-exclusive magazine that ran 48 issues from 1992-1996. Considered the definitive SNES magazine, I fondly remember reading through the 48 issues from late October through Christmas of 2006. I look back on that time period and it holds a great deal of nostalgia for me. I was also going through my Obscure Super Famicom Impressions topic at that same time, as well as getting ready to launch my site (RVGFanatic, which went live January 2007). That time period is just incredibly nostalgic for me

10 years ago I posted that the Super Play issues had finally arrived. One guy actually came out to share the following:

HOLY SH*T...

Wow. Talk about lucking out! It's mind-blowing to think... had he remembered to enter his insane bid... I might still be searching for a complete Super Play set today. Or at the very least I would have paid a whole lot more. It was truly one of those "once-in-a-lifetime" eBay wins that you'll always remember with a real deep fondness. What a great 10 years it has been. Super Play is truly the perfect companion piece to your SNES library. One of my favorite things to do in this hobby is to play a Super Nintendo game for the very first time, form my own initial impressions and then flip to the proper Super Play issue to then read their thoughts of said game. It's a blast to compare my opinion with that of theirs. Good times.

Anyone else here a proud owner? Have you read Super Play before? Feel free to share your thoughts and memories of the magazine here as well.

For additional Super Play reading material:

THE SUPER PLAY DRAMA

SUPER PLAY'S TOP 100 SNES GAMES

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Halloween Special

We're just about one day away from Halloween. It's appropriate to share an article I wrote that highlights 35 Super Nintendo games that fits in well with this time of the year. The Super Famicom countdown will continue next week but for now, we pause to celebrate the season of Halloween.

SNES HALLOWEEN SPECIAL

And if you're on a Halloween kick, here is a personal story that shares my memories of Halloween. First, my memories of the film franchise. Second, an awesome Halloween cartoon from my childhood and last, the greatest Halloween night of my life -- October 31st, 1994.

HALLOWEEN MEMORIES

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #21

Apologies for the 2-week delay, been super busy with work and life. Just completed a race that I've been training the past several months for. Back to the countdown!

22: SD F-1 Grand Prix

#21: DOSSUN! GANSEKI BATTLE

Dossun! Ganseki Battle feels like a precursor to Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo. A Columns-esque puzzler, you select from 3 characters in the 1 player mode or 9 characters in the 2 player versus mode. Pieces drop in 3 or 2 and disappear when 3 or more like pieces are connected. Unfortunately, similar to Columns, you cannot switch pieces to lay horizontally. You can only switch them on a vertical basis. Connections are formed either vertically, horizontally or diagonally. Not all puzzle games allow diagonal connections but this one does, and it leads to some nice chain combos. When combos are pulled off, your character attacks your rival (or vice versa). I love how their sprites enlarge as they attack. Neat stuff there. It really gets you into the fighting spirit of the game. It makes it feel like it's more than a puzzle game -- it's a puzzle WAR. Like I said, this kind of feels like a beta version of Puzzle Fighter, which is meant in the most positive way possible. Remember, this was back in 1994!

In addition, the game is made further unique because it features an energy bar. Yes, in a puzzle game. There are actually two ways you can win a match. 1. The player's screen fills up or 2. Health meter hits rock bottom. I like the versatility that those two options bring. To make things even more interesting, the five different types of pieces each serve a different purpose. Some are defensive while others are offensive (of course, when connected together). Green rocks, red scrolls and yellow swords act as offensive attacks. Blue potions replenishes your health slightly (if applicable). Purple squares have no effect. Major attacks cause pieces to suspend themselves in mid-air which can really clutter the field and throw the player off his or her game. Competitive and cutthroat, Dossun! Ganseki Battle is one of the finest Super Nintendo puzzle games ever created. It's basically Columns meets Puzzle Fighter with a medieval theme thrown in for good measure. Sounds like a winning formula to me!

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #20

Ah, down to the last 20!

22: SD F-1 Grand Prix
    21: Dossun! Ganseki Battle

#20: PUZZLE'N DESU!

What's up with the Japanese including exclamation marks in their gaming titles? But hey, if a game is as enjoyable as Dossun! Ganseki Battle, or today's entry, Puzzle'n Desu!, then well, by all means. You move a cute little blob thing around the screen. Your goal? Clear any given field of all its blocks. Blocks disappear when 3 or more of the same color connect. You can only push blocks -- they travel until they come into contact with another block or obstacle. As you can bet, the later puzzles get downright brutal. I'm not a huge fan of the timer, though. I feel these games benefit best when you're free to stare at the screen as long as you can until inspiration breaks through with the resolute "AH-HA!" On the up side, it does lend the game a real sense of urgency. It's quite the rush completing a puzzle just in the freaking nick of time!

But what makes this game really special is its 4 player battle mode. The main story mode also allows 3 friends to join you -- now how many action puzzle games do you know of that allow such an option? But my favorite thing about this game is hands down the battle mode. There are ten battle arenas to pick from, and most of them are littered with various gimmicks that would make any Bomberman title proud. It never felt so good before to push a block across the screen and crush a loved one. Yup, nothing says good times quite like that. Unfortunately, for some wacky reason this mode can only be experienced with 3 other friends in tow. It's a shame there isn't an option to play against 3 computer-controlled opponents. But hey, I suppose we're lucky to get the game mode at all. I dare say I might even enjoy it a tad more than any of the Bomberman titles. If only there was an option to disable the timer as well as being able to play against 3 computer-controlled opponents in the battle mode, Puzzle'n Desu! would undoubtedly have ranked even higher on this list than #20.

Brand new URL!