Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Steven's Obscure Super Famicom Impressions Thread (Top 50 countdown + closing remarks)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #47

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    There's something almost soothing about these single screen puzzlers. Lolo, Tricky Kick, Shi Kin Jyo, Boxy Boy... they just kind of settle me down when I'm in the right mood.
    Absolutely agreed! I think there's something soothing about the nature of these games... just knowing the programmers packed so much love and thought into a single screen... 100 times over (or however many levels there are). You look forward to each new level because you know it gets that little bit harder and require more brain power to work out. Good stuff. Some of the most satisfying gameplay moments for me are spending 20-30 minutes just to beat one level on these type of games. After that, I'm good!

---
    #47: RENDERING RANGER: R2

If yesterday's game was too "tame" and civilized for your tastes, then perhaps today's game will pique your interest. Full of explosive mayhem that would make even Arnold proud, Rendering Ranger: R2 is an action-packed game that switches between Turrican-esque run and gun stages and a horizontal space shooter. In fact, it originated as purely a SHMUP, but sometime through development Manfred Trenz (Turrican creator) decided to add in run and gun stages due to the rising popularity of that genre. As a result, R2 spent nearly 3 (!) years in development before finally seeing the light of day in 1995. And rumor has it only a few thousand copies were ever produced. That's why the game goes for an arm and a leg. I've seen cartridge only copies go for well over $600, and a complete in box copy? You're talking at least one thousand dollars. It's freaking insane. Shame about the price tag. A water cooler holy grail type game among diehard Super Nintendo collectors, Rendering Ranger is, thankfully, pretty solid.

There are several different guns to employ, and each one can be powered up, whether you're playing one of the Contra or Gradius levels. You can absorb up to five hits in either mode, which is nice since most games of either genre see you dying after one hit. Also, when you lose a life your last used weapon downgrades only one level, rather than going back to square one. Therefore, there is some strategy in switching off to a level 1 gun right before you know you're likely going to die, in order to come back to use a level 3 gun (rather than die with the level 3 gun and have it drop down to level 2). You also have 3 bombs to use, and the bombs regenerate slowly, meaning you can use one early on and gain it back by mid level or so. Pretty cool system that I don't recall seeing used much in other games. Speaking of the bombs, they're not generic like in Contra III but rather each gun has its own unique bomb. Some, as you can imagine, are more effective than others in certain situations. Figuring out the best place to use a specific bomb is all part of the strategy. Good stuff. The game is an impressive display of the SNES' capabilities. There are better examples of either genre on the SNES, but R2 does a nice job of blending them in one package. To boot, there are even simple 8-character passwords given after each level, ensuring that you're likely to revisit R2 in order to play through a favorite level, or even re-tackle it years later trying to finally beat it. It doesn't become hard until stage 8. That's when the game becomes a bitch. But it's pretty damn fun while it lasts. More than just a flashy gimmick, Rendering Ranger is a solid mix of two different genres and is certainly worth experiencing (somehow) at least once.

Last edited by Steven; 09-13-2016 at 12:33 AM.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Rendering Ranger has such great graphics... I passed on the only copy I've ever seen in person a few years ago, which was a loose cart priced at $180 at a local shop, in favor of a CIB Cho Aniki Bakuretsu Rantou Hen that was dirt cheap. To this day, I'm not sure how I feel about it, but at least I have had a ton of fun with Cho Aniki. Such a weird-ass game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #46

#46: VIOLINIST OF HAMELIN

For something a little different, quirky and odd, try out Violinist of Hamelin (AKA Hamelin no Violin Hiki). It's a puzzle action platformer where you play as Hamel and must guide a girl named Flute safely through each level. Flute will follow you throughout the level and is computer-controlled. Pressing "X" deactivates her, which is necessary at certain points. Hamel can shoot musical notes at enemies to dispose of them. You can use Flute in a variety of entertaining ways. From standing on her head to even tossing her through bricks. The big gimmick of the game comes in the form of Flute being able to transform into one of 16 different forms. Each form has its own special purpose, and using the right form at the right moment is key to success. Some transformation examples include: Ostrich, Punching Robot, Frog, and even a Curling Stone (!)

On the downside, there is no save or password, and the game isn't super short. It sucks having to play back at level 1 each time you turn the game on, but it's a fairly minor nitpick, but something definitely worth mentioning. Other than that, Violinist of Hamelin is quirky fun and something fresh and different from your typical SNES game. It's cute and charming but with a healthy splash of black humor. Poor Flute. She gets quite abused! Her reactions and expressions are absolutely priceless. And might be worth the price of admission alone.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #45

The list so far:

50: Battle Cross
    49: Mickey Tokyo Disneyland
    48: Little Magic
    47: Rendering Ranger: R2
    46: Violinist of Hamelin

#45: SUPER BACK TO THE FUTURE II

Yesterday's game, Violinist of Hamelin, was developed by Daft. Their very first game was, coincidentally, Super Back to the Future II. This Super Famicom exclusive exploded in popularity after the Angry Video Game Nerd published a video of it December of 2011. That video, to date, has 4.5 million views. Guide Marty McFly (almost a Super Deformed version) on his hoverboard throughout the various levels. The game boasts a rich, colorful look. The classic BTTF overture has been replicated perfectly, and anytime I listen to it, I still get the chills. That alone makes this game a must for any diehard BTTF fanatic.

The game is far from perfect. The control takes some getting used to, there is a bit of slowdown at certain sections and there are some cheap moments where you can't seem to avoid being hit. But you know what, there's just something about this game that I enjoy popping in and kicking back with for 20-30 minutes. A simple four character password system allows you to revisit favorite levels or continue where you last left off. I remember playing this game 10 years ago and being quite impressed by it. 10 years later, the novelty has worn off, but the music is still awesome. And bloody hell, I still enjoy playing it quite a bit, warts and all.

Brand new URL!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I like Violinist of Hameln. It's a little (a lot) on the easy side, and it teases RPG elements that it never really uses, but it's fun to toss Flute around.

Back to the Future II is one of those popular imports I've oddly still never even played. I like the goofy look, but I just have never really been all that into those movies... I kinda like the original, but the sequels never thrilled me. Don't hate 'em, just don't care to revisit them on purpose. Anyway, keep 'em coming!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #44

45: Super Back to the Future II

#44: NANGOKU SHOUNEN PAPUWA-KUN

Capcom, Konami, Square. Undeniably 3 of Super Nintendo's most respected and beloved 3rd party developers. But when you talk about underrated companies, you'll hear names like Natsume and Hudson Soft. Hey, why not add DAFT to that list? Sure, they only made 3 SNES games, but I found all 3 to be rather entertaining. And coincidentally, tonight we're completing the Daft SNES trilogy. Their 3 SNES games were Violinist of Hamelin, Super Back to the Future II, and this, our next game in the countdown, Nangoku Shounen Papuwa-kun. Based off the manga, it appears at first glance to be ye standard ole platformer. The biggest difference? Nangoku features a level up system like you would find in an action RPG. There are 8 kooky worlds to navigate, with odd enemies to battle along the way such as a one-legged umbrella (!) mid-boss. There's even a character that looks an awful lot like Link, hmmm.

Nangoku, along with Violinist of Hamelin, has long been erroneously credited by various gamers as being developed by Enix (including yours truly 10 years ago, my apologies to Daft). Enix published them only. It should be noted too that there is a slight bit of dialogue in this game (as was the case with Violinist of Hamelin), but it won't hinder a non-Japanese reading gamer from progressing. However, there is a fan translation floating out there if you want to get the full Nangoku experience. So if you're looking for a fun platformer that stands out from the 16-bit crowd, then check out Nangoku Shounen Papuwa-kun. It’ll likely put a smile on your face. Everyone I’ve talked with who has ever played Nangoku liked it quite a bit as well. Odds are, you will, too.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #43

44: Nangoku Shounen Papuwa-kun

November 10, 2006, was a day for the ages. It was the day I received my last package of "ultra rare" Super Famicom games. It took a month of collaborating but finally my mercenary over in Japan finished the job, and what a job he did. With that score, I was pretty much set.

But I had no time to revel in its magnificence. For it was also the day I was on my way to a wedding banquet with my good friend, Eddie. Who got hitched? Our old high school friend Christina, Eddie's old flame. And despite his efforts in coaxing me otherwise, I knew he still had feelings for her.

She's the one he let get away, folks… and man… she's a keeper.

By the time we got off the freeway it was dark and pouring. We were forced to stop at a train track. As the heavy rain drops pelted the roof of Eddie's car, with the loud rumbling of the train roaring past us, it happened.

Oh God no. Please say it ain't so. Don't do this to my friend!

JESSIE'S GIRL blared on the radio. Its cheesy yet classic 80s pop rock, not to be outdone by the tumultuous train, sliced through the cold night air with fierce vengeance.

I expected him to change the station, but he never did.

As the train roared on for what felt like an eternity, we sat there in silence, taking in the ambiance. I feared the lyrics would drive him over the edge…

Jessie is a friend
    Yeah, I know he's been a good friend of mine,
    But lately something's changed; it ain't hard to define
    Jessie's got himself a girl and I wanna make her mine

Y'know I feel so dirty when they start talkin' cute,
    I wanna tell her that I love her but the point is prob'ly moot

And I'm looking in the mirror all the time
    Wondering what she don't see in me,
    I've been funny I've been cool with the lines;
    Ain't that the way love's supposed to be?

I WISH THAT I HAD JESSIE'S GIRL!
    Tell me, where can I find a woman LIKE THAT?

I don't know if it was the tranquility of that moment or some epiphany he later reached while parallel parking, but the night was full of fun and frivolity. He showed no signs of lamenting her. That night he finally put the past behind him. A good time was had by all.

Capping the night off, I arrived home tired but with enough energy left to eagerly open the big box. These games took me forever to find. Christina was a keeper, and so is this game. Literally.

#43: KEEPER

Keeper is a puzzle action game jam packed with charm and a healthy dose of brain-bending conundrums. Players control an adorable Gizmo-like creature. Your goal is to clear the 5x5 grid of all the stones. Match 3 or more stones. You can get rid of stones via same colors or by same shapes. I love that they gave you two options here. There are four modes of play, including a fun co-op and 2-player versus mode. The 2-player options give Keeper the edge over the somewhat similar Little Magic. Keeper doesn't have the level variety as Little Magic has, but at the end of the day there's something about Keeper's gameplay that pulls me in a little deeper than Little Magic's. But make no mistake about it, both games are definite must haves if you love your single screen action puzzle games. Those games where even just conquering one level after staring at the screen for 20-30 minutes is enough to satisfy.

Interestingly enough, EGM previewed this game back in the day as Cyber Slider. It was slated to come out to American soil, but never saw the light of day. Thankfully, we got Keeper. And judging strictly on the outer appearance of the dull looking generic robot compared to the too-cute-for-words Gizmo knockoff, I'm glad we got Keeper instead of Cyber Slider. Although, there is an option to change the Gizmo creature into either a human boy or a human girl. Why? Oh just because. Because, reasons! You can't knock a game for providing more options to choose from. You know I can't help but say it -- you bet your ass Keeper is a keeper.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #42

43: Keeper

#42: GHOST SWEEPER MIKAMI

Based off the anime/manga by Takashi Shiina, Ghost Sweeper Mikami is an old school action platformer. It's pretty straight forward and what you see is what you get. It reminds me of the dozens and dozens of action platformers we saw on the 8-bit NES back in the day. If you're into that sort of thing, then definitely check out Ghost Sweeper Mikami. It's got a nice atmosphere -- it's slightly goofy yet somewhat spooky. Perfect to play during Halloween season with the lights out on a cold, stormy night.

Evil spirits, zombies and all assorted manner of monsters have popped up all over town. It's up to you, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, to sweep the streets and clear out the demons and demented. Armed with her trusty magic baton and athletic agility, Mikami can upgrade her baton to shoot projectiles. It's a fun little game. Nothing earth shattering here -- just a good old fashioned solid action game akin to the kind we saw in the late '80s-early '90s. Good job, Natsume.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #41

42: Ghost Sweeper Mikami

#41: GO GO ACKMAN

Based off the manga by Akira Toriyama, Go Go Ackman is a traditional action platformer. Well, starring a very non-traditional anti-hero. And therein lies part of the fun/charm of playing through this game. As Ackman, you fend off enemies by way of swordplay, boomerangs and even some gun slinging. The game is on the shorter side of things and is not challenging much, but damnit, sometimes a game is just bloody fun to play through. And that this is. BTW, I'm not a fan of the sequel (also on Super Famicom). The third game goes back to basics and is pretty good, but I prefer the original.

In many ways I find Go Go Ackman somewhat similar to yesterday's entry, Ghost Sweeper Mikami. The reason I prefer Go Go Ackman slightly is because its gameplay is just a little bit more polished and refined. That and I prefer the smaller sprite of Ackman over Mikami's rather large sprite size. Plus Ackman has a wider variety of attacks which makes taking out the enemies a whole lot more fun. Go Go Ackman also has that "doesn't take itself seriously at all" charm to it. Things can get rather bizarre, and fast. If you've yet to give this game a try, I recommend doing so. It won't set your world on fire, but it's another example of a quality game on a quality 16-bit machine. Besides, there's a real sense of black humor when you're shooting cute little angels right between the eyes. No way in hell that would ever fly in America. God bless you, Japan, you crazy old bastards you.

Last edited by Steven; 09-18-2016 at 05:40 PM.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Keeper is a puzzle action [...]
    Some great picks so far!

Curiously, Keeper was updated and released on Japanese Playstation in 2002 as an entry in the SuperLite 1500 series of bargain games.
    And worth mentioning the SFC game has some luscious box art. In selecting what few games to keep from my collection as I liquidate, Keeper was one of a dozen (out of ~200) SFC games I decided to keep, largely based on the box art, and that I like single screen puzzle games.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 09-18-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #40

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Some great picks so far!

Curiously, Keeper was updated and released on Japanese Playstation in 2002 as an entry in the SuperLite 1500 series of bargain games.
    And worth mentioning the SFC game has some luscious box art. In selecting what few games to keep from my collection as I liquidate, Keeper was one of a dozen (out of ~200) SFC games I decided to keep, largely based on the box art, and that I like single screen puzzle games.
    Thanks. And yes, absolutely agreed on Keeper's excellent box art. I really like the real picture on the back of the box. It's super cool and unique... can't think of another SNES game that features a real pic on its box. It's almost like Keeper had his own toy line!

41: Go Go Ackman

#40: POKO NYAN!

Poko Nyan! is a platformer based off the 170-episode anime show that ran from 1993-1996. Poko Nyan is also known as Rocky Rackat (a cross between a raccoon and a cat). This game is clearly geared toward kids, with its super colorful visuals and extremely easy gameplay. Hell, you CAN'T even die. So why is this ranked #40 on my countdown? Because it's damn fun. It's got a charming protagonist that can transform into various other critters at anytime. This ranges from a kangeroo who can jump super high to a bird with unlimited flight to a hedgehog that can do a spin attack (hmmm). It's a perfect game for kids or anyone who is still, deep down, a kid at heart.

The scrolling is a bit herky jerky at times, though, especially when changing directions on a dime. It's not a deal breaker for me, however. There are only 15 levels and if you rush for the exit, the game can be beaten in about 40 minutes without breaking a sweat. Where this game excels -- the set pieces. Just take a look at some of them. They're gorgeously drawn, and best of all, they usually have multi-tiers to them. Meaning, there are a ton of ledges to jump on and jump off of. You can kill enemies by simply dropping off a ledge and bouncing off their heads. This is deceptively satisfying. I love all the many set pieces and the ability to interact with them. Poko Nyan! is just a fun, relaxing and whimsical platformer. Yeah I wish it were harder but gaming is ultimately about having fun. And I enjoyed playing this one tremendously. Oddly satisfying. There's something innately charming and innocent about this game that takes one right back to their early childhood years. Poko Nyan! is perhaps the poster child for a "kiddie game" but damnit if it ain't bloody fun.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #39

40: Poko Nyan!

#39: ARAIGUMA RASCAL

With Poko featured yesterday and Rascal today, it confirms what we've felt all along: raccoons are freaking awesome.

There are lots of cute games out there, but there might not be one that will induce more heartfelt "awwws" than Araiguma Rascal (AKA Raccoon Rascal). This action puzzle game is based off Rascal the Raccoon, which was a Japanese anime series based on the 1963 autobiographical novel "Rascal, A Memoir of a Better Era" by Sterling North. If nothing else, no other SNES game can claim it was loosely based off a 1963 classic American memoir. Thankfully, the game is noteworthy for more than just that. It puts a unique spin on your typical falling piece puzzler. Players control Rascal, an adorable raccoon whose sole job is to discard of the various jars coming his way. Match 3 or more like jars to make them disappear. Rather than simply moving the D-Pad left and right and rotating pieces, as Rascal you must grab one jar at a time and maneuver your way through the field. This includes jumping and requires some heavy forethought. There is a bit of a learning curve as it's not your typical puzzle game. Therein lies the charm and fun of it all. It's something just different enough that catches your fancy and leaves something of an indelible mark.

The game features 3 different entertaining 2 player modes to boot. In 2 player mode one controls Rascal and the other player controls Sterling -- the author of the 1963 memoir "Rascal." The graphics are unique. Yes they're colorful but they really invoke the spirit of Wisconsin (the setting of the memoir). There's an old school "throwback" feel to the visuals... almost vintage in style. Just take a look at the screenshots here and you can see the care that the developers put into this game. It all adds up to one extremely adorable and appealing package.

BTW, Super Play Magazine (a UK Super Nintendo-dedicated publication) gave it a decent score back in the day:

Love the detail of the squirrel pushing the jars!

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #38

39: Araiguma Rascal

#38: SUPER TEKKYU FIGHT!

At a cursory glance, Super Tekkyu Fight! appears to be a Bomberman clone. However, play it for a few minutes and you'll quickly notice it's quite different. For starters, players can take up to 8 hits (therefore battles last much longer than your average Bomberman match). You can also jump around the field. In addition, there are lots of gaping holes where if you fall through you will lose four health bars. Instead of bombing your foes, you attack them with a spiky ball. You can flip tiles and stun your opponent. Naturally, power-ups can sway the tide of war. There's also the 1-2P mode where you go through 6 worlds with 8 levels each (the 8th featuring a big nasty boss). It's not a shabby little mode, thanks to the awesome looking bosses, but the meat is definitely the four player mode.

On the downside, the 8 battle arenas aren't incredibly diverse. They're not as varied as most Bomberman games. Nonetheless, this is a blast to play with 3 like-minded friends. If you're lucky enough to still occasionally host the random 4-player gaming night here and there, I definitely recommend picking this one up. And even if you're more of the "One Player" type, you can always set the 3 players to be computer controlled and still have a good time. It's no Super Bomberman, but Super Tekkyu Fight! is certainly a solid alternative when you're in the mood for something Bomberman-esque while also being a little different.

Last edited by Steven; 09-22-2016 at 03:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #37

38: Super Tekkyu Fight!

#37: GANBARE DAIKU NO GENSAN

Ganbare Daiku no Gensan is the one and only SNES appearance for Irem's Hammerin' Harry. You might remember Harry from the arcade scene of the early '90s as well as his 8-bit Nintendo adventure (unfortunately PAL release only). Well, once again Harry gets the American shaft, as "Super Hammerin' Harry" never left Japan. Thankfully, SNES players can still experience it in all its glory (well, there's a small bit of Japanese text but nothing you can't overcome). Run around the various levels using an almost Super Deformed Harry, crushing everything in sight with his trusty hammer. There are fun upgrades available as well as special attacks that Harry can do.

It's also Japanese bonkers. It never takes itself too seriously, or at all, really. From fighting a man dressed in a cat suit (WTF) to knocking the hell out of octogenarians (!), Ganbare Daiku no Gensan promises a wacky experience that while short, is certainly enjoyable while it lasts. Nothing too fancy here, folks. What you see is what you get. It's nowhere near the level of the elite SNES platformers, but it's one of those quirky little action games that could easily entertain ya for an hour or two on a lazy Friday night. And damnit if it ain't fun smashing a monkey upside the head with a giant mallet. Gallagher would surely be proud.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Have you played this gem?

My apologies for the delay in continuing this countdown. Life's gotten busier than normal and so I will just post these entries whenever I can. Was aiming for an entry a day but that's just not feasible with work picking up.

In the meantime, here's an awesome Super Famicom game that probably not many have played. Or at least, it's certainly had less exposure than the mainstream usual suspects, and I believe it's just as damn good as some of those classics. It's not on my top 50 countdown because it has a lot of Japanese text and I do consider it an action RPG (I purposely excluded Japanese RPGs and action RPGs off this list). But if I were to include this game it would easily be in my top 10. I like it THAT much. What game am I talking about?

GUNMAN'S PROOF

Released late in the SNES lifespan (1997), Gunman's Proof can best be summarized as a mix of EarthBound, Link to the Past and the wild, wild west. Sounds like an enticing combination? It sure is, and thankfully, the game plays extremely well. Unlike other action RPGs where you strike with a short ranged weapon, here you get to fire off a variety of guns. It gives it a slight Zombies Ate My Neighbors feel as well. Good stuff, indeed. In addition, you can punch enemies even pull off Dragon Punches. The graphics have a pleasant cheery look to them, and you gotta love the game's setting and overall aesthetics. Go around the island and talk to some interesting NPCs.

Interestingly enough, the relationship between the father and son is unlike any other on the SNES. Rather than being loving and supportive, the dad is downright abusive and vicious. It gives the game a different feel. But it's all handled in a very amusing manner. All that's to say... the game's dialogue is a real treat. You'll want to talk to every NPC. Its sense of humor reminds me a lot of EarthBound.

The battle sections are a blast. It's refreshing to shoot at enemies from far away. With 8 directions to aim, and a strafe/lock option, it's handled beautifully (did you hear that, Zombies Ate My Neighbors?). The puzzles are much lighter than Link to the Past, but it's still a ton of fun. The main character can also duck and crawl to avoid bullets. The dungeons are not as complex as Link to the Past and they never get (too) overwhelming. It's definitely an easy game, but I say better "easy and fun" than "impossible and cheap" any day of the week.

All in all, you can't go far wrong with Gunman's Proof. Its main negative is that it's way too damn short. The game can be beaten in about 4 measly hours, but what fun those 4 short hours will be. Thankfully, it's been fan translated, and I can't recommend this game enough. If you love Link to the Past or action RPGs in general, Gunman's Proof is a must-play.

Full review here.

Brand new URL!

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    You might remember Harry from the arcade scene of the early '90s as well as his 8-bit Nintendo adventure (unfortunately PAL release only).
    Not quite... it did get a release on the Famicom, along with it's sequel (which stayed Famicom-only). Take a look.

I'm enjoying the countdown so far!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #36

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    Not quite... it did get a release on the Famicom, along with it's sequel (which stayed Famicom-only). Take a look.

I'm enjoying the countdown so far!
    Ah thanks for the correction, Rob. I am not nearly as well versed in the world of Famicom as I am with the Super Famicom, so my apologies for that omission. Good to know! And I'm glad you're enjoying the countdown. It's been a blast for me revisiting these old favorites Speaking of which, on with the countdown!

37: Ganbare Daiku no Gensan

#36: POWER SOUKOBAN

Published by NINTENDO on New Year's Day 1999 (yes, you read that correct, 19-freaking-99), Power Soukoban add an action-oriented "modern" twist to the old classic Soukoban puzzle action format. This time the puzzles aren't as crazy because the emphasis is moreso on the action end. Here you'll have to fend off enemies. Open pits will spawn evil creatures. Only by closing off the pits do you eradicate the little demons. The enemies don't really pose much of a threat, but it's fun nonetheless to shoot them down. Speaking of which, your little demon protagonist doesn't just push stones -- he can also fire projectiles. These long ranged shots can take out enemies as well as move stones. It's pretty cool and definitely not your brother's Soukoban.

There are even bosses to contend with, such as Frankenstein and Medusa to name but a few. There aren't traditional stages per se; the whole thing has inter-connected screens similar to Super Metroid. I also like that this game features multi-tier puzzles. For example, entering a room from a certain entrance may yield zero results. However, enter that same room later on from a different entrance reveals the path to clearing that particular puzzle for that particular room. There's even a cast of NPCs you can interact with, and the game even features a very light RPG-esque element to it. Too bad the dialogue is in Japanese, but it's not anything that would impede your progress if you don't read the language. Power Soukoban can get a tad repetitive and the puzzles aren't very complex at all, but it's a fun action puzzle game and an oddly fascinating footnote in SNES history. Seeing as how it was released in 1999, it really just might be the last great game to ever grace Nintendo's 16-bit wonder.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #35 + Announcement

36: Power Soukoban

#35: THE FIREMEN

The Firemen is one of those Super Famicom titles I remember long being curious about ever since I saw it featured in the pages of EGM back in good ole 1994. Developed by HUMAN, best known for their Fire Pro Wrestling franchise, The Firemen is like DieHard if the terrorists were replaced with fire and the firearms replaced with a water hose. Heck, even the intro is oddly in English, and more than vaguely reminds one of the plot from DieHard! However, the in-game text is all in Japanese. It's not necessary to understand if you don't read Japanese, but you're given tips to help you out. Still, no biggie as the game is completely playable without this knowledge. I was very impressed when I played this game initially in 2006, and although my feelings for it have "cooled down" (har har) since then, it's still a quality game worthy of this list.

Shoot in any one of 8 directions, and you can strafe and lock yourself into any one of these 8 positions. I like the little details such as the glass shattering when you fire at them. Part of me almost expects Stone Cold Steve Austin to come running in outta nowhere to open a can of whup ass. There are two spray attacks. One straight ahead and one that sprays downward. You also get bombs and a computer-controlled ally that helps you out on occasion. It's a shame there isn't a two-player option, though. The graphics are sharp and clean with a nice depth backing them. There are also innocent people to save throughout the levels. Doing so will restore your health by roughly 60%. The bosses fights are simple and satisfying. The Firemen is solid fun and it's a shame it never saw the light of day in America (although it did receive a European PAL release). If you haven't played The Firemen yet, you really should. It's a better example of the fire fighting sub-genre than Jaleco's The Ignition Factor.

Announcement time. I hope this is OK, but given my years of service contributing to the gaming community, I hope that it is. So, as some of you know, for the past decade-plus I've been waving the SNES banner. In that time I've been beating SNES games and keeping detailed notes. Seeing as how today marks the first day of October, I figure now is a fitting time to make this announcement. Coming in one year's time will be my very own SNES book. It will be released privately via PDF. There will be a very small fee for my effort (I'm thinking around $3 is more than fair). The PDF will include:

-My top 200 favorite SNES games*
    -Various SNES stories of mine from 1991-current day
    -Exclusive interviews that I've conducted with various SNES programmers over the years

*The top 200 list will be done in a very similar fashion as this Top 50 Super Famicom list. So if you're enjoying this countdown, you'll definitely enjoy my Top 200 countdown as well. This list will feature US and Japanese games (including Japanese RPGs such as Seiken Densetsu 3 AKA Secret of Mana 2, Dragon Quest V, Final Fantasy V, and so forth). Keep in mind this is a list I've been working on and tweaking ever since 2006. So it's not something I'm piecing together hastily overnight or a few weeks or even a few months. This has been a decade-plus project of mine that I can't wait to finally share!

I hope my work over the past decade has entertained you to some degree, and I hope you'll support this project come this time next year. It will be roughly 300 pages long, with up to 1,000 full color pictures. And for the record, there will be no Kickstarter. No delays. No stretch goals. No BS. More details to follow as we get closer to the date. It comes online October 2017.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #34

35: The Firemen

#34: SUPER GENJIN 2

Growing up in the early '90s, I was lucky enough to own the NES, Genesis and Super Nintendo. That meant Saturday afternoons perusing any of those 3 libraries at the local rental store. I had my choice of the litter, and life was good. However, there was at least one franchise that eluded me that I had always been madly curious about. That, of course, was BONK on the Turbo Grafx 16. Back in those olden days, the Turbo Grafx 16 was sort of a "Neo Geo Junior" in the sense that very few stores carried it and you hardly knew anyone who owned it. It was something of a semi-mythical "beast" that you really only saw in the pages of EGM, GamePro and GameFan Magazine. I was instantly captivated the first time I saw screenshots of the Bonk games. I've always had a thing for caveman platformers. Then in 1994, GameFan ran a preview for Super Bonk for the Super Nintendo. It blew my young mind. It was like seeing Ronald McDonald featured in a Burger King commercial, or seeing "The Bad Guy" Razor Ramon in a WCW ring (er wait, that one really did happen, sorta anyhow). It was a WTF moment for its time. Unfortunately, the SNES effort in my opinion was only decent at best. And at worst, it was borderline disappointing. Enter its Super Famicom-exclusive sequel, Super Genjin 2.

Super Genjin 2 is everything Super Bonk should have been. The sprites are smaller, which works in its favor as the gameplay is less clunky and easier to maneuver Bonk around the playing field. He's got new tricks up his sleeve, such as a sliding ability and some transformations that were not seen in Super Bonk but seen in the TG-16 series, such as the thief (who can throw the smiley faces as projectiles). The worlds are colorful and the visuals are rather striking -- both a major improvement over Super Bonk. The power ups are what makes the game fun but it's also simply experiencing the various quirky levels. In one level you're struck by lightning in the beginning and you're forced to spend the entire level trying to refill your health in order to regain consciousness by level's end. Another level sees Bonk spinning himself around on a rotor as he navigates the not-so-friendly spike-filled skies. It's not a long game, but there's even a password code given after each world is beaten (another thing that Super Bonk lacked). There is a small bit of Japanese text but it's nothing major. For those who wish to experience it in full, however, there is an English translation available. All in all, Super Genjin 2 isn't perfect but it's a fine example of the genre, does the Bonk name proud and is certainly one of the better Super Famicom-exclusive platformers out there.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default #33

35: The Firemen
    34: Super Genjin 2

#33: SUPER BOMBERMAN PANIC BOMBER WORLD

More than just a cheap cash-in or a lame gimmick in order to milk the good name of a proven franchise, Super Bomberman Panic Bomber World is an admirable foray into the puzzle genre for those good Bombermen. The goal is to connect 3 or more like-color pieces. You can connect them horizontally, vertically or even diagonally. I like the inclusion of the diagonal factor as it leads to more combo possibilities and adds to the strategy. In addition, you get unlit and lit bombs because Bomberman. Once you fill up your power bar, you get a mega bomb that will cause all kinds of havoc. It's pretty simple and straightforward. It's also a whole lot of fun. The chains and combos you can pull off are pretty insane. Instead of 2 pieces falling at a time as in most puzzle games, it's 3 pieces here. That just gives you more pieces to play with as you work to craft crushing combos. Speaking of noteworthy, the game cartridge actually uses a special chip believe it or not.

And of course, being a Bomberman title, there's even a 4 player mode for you and 3 friends (or 3 computer opponents) to do battle in. The classic Bomberman battle tune is even replicated nicely here, and fits the urgency of the falling piece action to a tee. While Panic Bomber may never replace your Super Bomberman or Saturn Bomberman game nights, it does make for a damn fine entertaining diversion. There really isn't much else to say here except it's a shame not more people are aware of this game. It's more than worthy of a spot in anyone's Super Nintendo collection.

Brand new URL!