Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Your 10 Favorite Consoles: Across the Board

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought I already posted in this thread but it looks like I didn't so here it is. It's somewhat in order.

1.Snes
    2.Nes
    3.Gamecube
    4.Turbo Grafx
    5.Atari 2600
    6.Xbox
    7.GBA sp
    8.Genesis
    9.Sms
    10.N64

BTW I did not include psp or ds just because there aren't really enough games out to judge them. Otherwise they may have made the list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1) NES
    2) SNES
    3) N64
    4) Gamecube
    5) DS
    6) Virtual Boy
    7) Dreamcast
    8) Intellivision
    9) Vectrex
    10) 2600

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's my top 10:

1. NES
    2. Super NES
    3. Game Boy
    4. Sega Genesis
    5. Playstation
    6. Playstation 2
    7. Game Gear
    8. Vectrex
    9. Atari 5200
    10. XBox

19 years, 450+ played games, 391 beaten games & 320+ billion points scored

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't name my top 10 but I will give you my top 5. There are many systems that were great but were simply out of my reach since they either didn't do that well in the U.S. and didn't produce the best games, or the hardware and games were too expensive. Such systems are: Neo Geo,
    Saturn, Turbo Grafx-16/Duo. The Saturn in Japan had some amazing games that would easily have destroyed the Playstation in terms of games, but I am not able to experience such games since I am not a hardcore collector and am not willing to spend that much. Same goes with Turbo Grafx-16/Duo which had great Japanese games but weak U.S. games due to poor sales. The Neo Geo is simply too expensive. However, here are my top 5 that I am able to afford and are common enough in terms of great games:

Genesis
    NES
    Playstation
    Dreamcast
    Super Nintendo

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't name my top 10 but I will give you my top 5. There are many systems that were great but were simply out of my reach since they either didn't do that well in the U.S. and didn't produce the best games. Such systems are: Saturn and Turbo Grafx-16/Duo. The Saturn in Japan had some amazing games that would easily have destroyed the Playstation in terms of games, but I am not able to experience such games since I am not a hardcore collector and am not willing to spend that much on import games. Same goes with Turbo Grafx-16/Duo which had great Japanese games but weak U.S. games due to poor sales. However, here are my top 5 systems that I am able to afford or play, and are common enough in terms of great games:

Genesis
    NES
    Playstation
    Dreamcast
    Neo Geo (arcade)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh crap now I have two posts. I changed my mind on the SNES and switched it to Neo Geo. Is there a way to delete posts?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An interesting question...my first choice:

Super Nintendo

My other choices are in alphabetical order...

Atari 2600
    Atari 5200
    Atari Lynx
    Nintendo 64
    Nintendo GameCube
    Sega Dreamcast
    Sony Playstation
    Sony Playstation 2
    XBox

I'm only listing systems I still have, thus the noticeably absent NES which I no longer own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In reverse chronological order (and not 10 systems either :P)

# Sega Dreamcast
    # Nintendo 64
    # SNES
    # Master System II
    # Commodore 64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atari 2600 - Memories Galore
    Game Boys - Games Galore
    Colecovision - Great early Arcade translations
    PS1 - 1st Major Next Gen System - Air Combat & Battle Arena Toshinden at launch blew me away.
    Game Cube - Top notch franchises taken to the next level
    Xbox - Computer game fix - Yea, Sid Meiers Pirates !
    Nintendo DS - LOVE IT !
    SONY PSP - Nice - but very slow rolling out any good games
    Commodre 64 - Does this count? M.U.L.E. rules !
    Genesis - I was never a Nintendo fan back then for some reason. I always stuck with SEGA. Good game library covering all genres.

Kaboomer

Insert Coin (Level 0) atari_wizard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

in order 1 being my fav.

1. Atari 2600
    2. NES
    3. Sega Genesis
    4. N64
    5. Nintendo Game Cube
    6. Gameboy Advance SP
    7. Sega Saturn
    8. Sega Master System
    9. SNES
    10. Sega Dreamcast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well my favorite systems are in no particular order

Super Nintendo (o my hidden love)
    Nintendo
    Dreamcast
    Sega Saturn
    Playstation 2/Playstation 1 (since the ps2 can play ps1 games I wanted to put them together)
    Nintendo 64
    Sega Genesis
    Gameboy Advance SP
    Xbox
    Gamecube

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

one more system that i mean to of added is the turbo graphics 16

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I posted in this thread before but i've changed my mind about a few things and i'm going to do it in order this time. Here goes...

1.Turbografx/DUO
    2.Sega Genesis
    3.Super NES
    4.NES
    5.SMS
    6.Commodore Amiga
    7.Commodore 64
    8.Atari 2600
    9.Gamecube
    10.Nintendo DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In order:

1. Super NES
    2. NES
    3. Playstation
    4. Nintendo 64
    5. GameCube
    6. Playstation 2
    7. Saturn
    8. Dreamcast
    9. Genesis
    10. Atari 2600

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Well I dont have 10 consoles that I like, but here are the ones I really had a very good time with:

NES
    SNES
    PS1
    PS2

Never really was a fan of any other console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are only three systems which I consider godly and essential, and their order varies constantly (mostly depending on the one I'm playing at the moment ). Most of the time, however, my mind more or less settles on this order:

1. NES: My first console = nostalgia. Hundreds and hundreds of games, most of which (yes, I said most) are at least good, if not better. Easy to find anywhere at great prices. Incredible variety, including a plethora of platformers, which is by far my favorite genre. To this day, I still frequently discover wonderful new games, and it's the system I've played the most in my life. No matter what else I try, I always come back, because NES games are simply the most fun to play as far as I'm concerned. Too bad about the toaster's unreliability and the top loader's inferior audio-video quality (those lines )... (Adventures of Lolo, Bubble Bobble, Double Dragon II, Gremlins 2, Mega Man 2, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Ninja Gaiden, Super C, Super Mario Bros., Zelda 2, *goes on for ten minutes*)

2. Neo Geo MVS: Nothing beats having my own arcade cabinet. But even if it were a regular console with a regular controller, it would still be one of the best simply because of the incredibly high level of quality of its dozens of games. The price can't hurt the quality, plus it makes everything even more collectible. Only downfall, if it's even one, is the lack of meaty, lenghty games. For quick bursts, though, it's pure bliss. Quite a lot to be found here aside from the ubiquitous fighting games, which I also happen to like very much anyway. (Baseball Stars 2, Last Blade 2, Mark of the Wolves, Metal Slug, Puzzle de Pon, Sengoku 3, Shock Troopers, Street Hoop, Strikers 1945 Plus, Super Dodge Ball, *insert almost any MVS game here*)

3. SNES: NES sequels galore bring the overall quality down a little, but most of them are awesome sequels anyway. Plus, it has its own unique library, as well as many well-done arcade ports. (Blackthorne, Cool Spot, Donkey Kong Country 2, Final Fantasy III, Mega Man X, Mortal Kombat II, NBA Jam T.E., Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Super Punch-Out!!, *goes on for five minutes*)

The following two are also nice companions, although I could easily do without them:

4. Dreamcast: Accomplished more in two years than the three current consoles combined in five years. Innovated so much, proved that 2D and 3D can coexist, remains the only CD-based system that I can stand. Could have been the best ever had it had the five (or more) years it deserved, as well as the support of more publishers. I still can't get over this to this day. Oh yeah, and it rekindled the video game passion in me after the N64 and PS1 killed it. (Grandia 2, Marvel VS. Capcom, Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness, Power Stone, Rayman 2, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Skies of Arcadia, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Super Magnetic Neo)

5. GBA: It's a portable SNES! Oh, and it has some great games of its own, too. The number of sub-par licensed drivel is annoying, though. (Activision Anthology, Double Dragon Advance, Klonoa: Empire of Dreams, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Metroid: Zero Mission, Ninja Five-O, WarioWare Inc.)

I don't care and/or know enough about the other systems to rank them. Hopefully this will change, but I still have a lot of catching up to do even with my top five, so that's my priority.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1) TG16, I feel in love with it the instant I played the demo unit yrs ago, and it took my yrs of waiting and some good dealing to get one. Highly sought after, and deeply loved.

2) Sega Saturn, I've probably spent most of my gaming hrs on this machine. The games are unique and just down right fun to play!

3) NES, my first console and definately loaded with some seriously awesome games.

4) Super NES, it was a wonderful RPG console, and my first 16Bit console as well.

5) Genesis does what Nintendon't Seriously I bought this one back in the late 90's and over the past 10yrs have been gaining more and more affection for the console I didn't like back during the 16Bit wars.

6) DS, while it's still rather new I've been impressed so far.

7) GBA, other than the backwards compatability, I just simply love the GBA library. Plenty of Mario, plent of RPG's.

8) Dreamcast, I bought this one in 9/9/99, and while it hasn't thrilled me for the longest of time, I'm now starting to see just what an amazing lil console it is.

9) Neo Geo Pocket Color, while everyone was bringing their GBC's to college I had the NGPC. My only regret w/this system is I didn't sink more time and money into it back in the day, so that means I have to make up for lost time now.

10) PS2, backwards compatability so no need for two sony consoles taking up space, and quite a few good games for the system.
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

in no particular order:

1. intellivision
    2. sega master system
    3. playstation
    4. xbox
    5. super nintendo
    6. dreamcast
    7. turbographx 16
    8. N64
    9. commodore 64
    10. Atari 2600

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is really tough. Anyway here it goes in no particular order........

Playstation - Great times with it. Spcefically all the RPGs and high profile releases from the time, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil etc...

Dreamcast - Lots of quick, easy to play arcade style games. Excelled in real innovative games stuff like Seaman and whole bunch of others. Great system that still gets a lotta love from me.

Super Nintendo - My favourite Nintendo system ever. Third parties perfected 2D gaming on this thing.

DS - Yeah it's still relitivley new, but already theres been some games that have already become all-time favourites of mine, like Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and Feel the Magic.

Genesis - I loved all of the arcade ports on it, specifcally from launch until aroundf 92. Lots of other genres it did well in as well. Sports, shooters and many, many more.

Saturn - Lots of great 2D gaming to be found here. Underrated when it comes to 3D as well in my opinion.

Playstaion 2 - An extension of the original PlayStation. Got off to a slow start but come mid 2001 I began enjoying it more. It went through another tough time in 02- mid 04 but Metal Gear Solid 3 revived it for me.

PSP - I really LOVED Lumines and Ridge Racers.

NES - My first system I ever owned so very special memories for me here.

Sega CD - Sonic CD and Snatcher made me love it. FMV games aren't as bad as some people make them out to be, imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I have played & own:
    Saturn -> Super Nintendo -> Nintendo64 -> Genesis -> Playstation -> Gamecube -> Nintendo -> Dreamcast -> Gamegear -> Gameboy Color

Now, before someone thinks my selection is wierd or crap, remember I only own 14 systems and I'm only grading them on what I own and games I own for them and played. I'm sure if I owned complete collections and played most of the titles available I would have a different line-up.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]