I wish there was a more concise way to describe this topic.

I got out TMNT: Turtles in Time the other day, and played it for a few minutes just to kill time. That was long enough to remind me of what a letdown the "throwing the enemies toward the screen" effect was for me, way back when (92?).

Simply put, I had seen smooth Mode 7 effects on the SNES, and then when TMNT was in development, I would see pictures in EGM of big, blocky enemies (a telltale sign of "Mode 7") being thrown toward you. I figured this would look really cool in motion, ala Bowser flying toward you in Super Mario World. Then the reviews came out, and the scaling enemies effect was mentioned as being a high point.

Then the game came out, and was on a demo unit at Toys R Us. I started playing, and by accident managed to throw an enemy towards the screen. And it was incredibly choppy! I later understood why this was (no hardware sprite scaling), but at the time I thought it was really disappointing to actually see in motion. Kind of like Cobra Command for Sega CD...

Anyway, did anyone else feel the effect was a letdown from what they had expected, based on the pictures in the magazines?