Thread: How can I make a custom icon for our CD?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How can I make a custom icon for our CD?

I have a quick question that I'm sure several of you can answer: My band is making a "preliminary edition" version of our CD, and we have included some extra content (photos, lyrics, etc.)

The thing is this: The guys would like to have it so that when you open the CD in your computer, the main html file has a custom icon (one of our logos), instead of the "internet explorer" icon.

How can I do this? I have the icon itself (the art, that is) ready to go. Can anyone help me?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Create a text file on root level of CD-ROM called autorun.inf

Make sure it has:

[autorun]
    Icon=xxxx

where xxxx is the file name (either an exe with the desired icon or an .ico file) The file path needs to be relative and not absolute ie icon.ico or ./image/icon.ico are relative while e://icon.ico is absolute. CD-ROM is not always on the same drive letter on other people's PC.

There is a way to do the same for Mac formatted CD-ROM but the file name has an odd character I can't remember, followed by the name "icon" and the image is stored in certain part of resource fork. I'll have to fire up my Mac and find my vintage ResEdit program to find out the specifics. There is probably an easier way to do this but I haven't found any with Toast. But I do know it's easier to my hybrid CD (both readable with custom icon and ready to run programs) on Macs than on PC due to PC's inability to handle resource fork on Mac files.
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games