Thread: Sega CD Vay "problem"?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega CD Vay "problem"?

We sold our extra Sega CD Vay because we had a sealed copy, but the one sold was in 100% mint condition. I recieved this email today, anyone want to help formulate a response to this guy?

i just got the game in the mail today. but there seems to be a problem. when i press the buttons, the game won't start. i'm a bit frustrated because i think the problem why my controller is having no effect on the game when i press the buttons is because i need a sega cd controller. and what i have is a sega genesis controller. i didn't know i needed one. especially because i bought a copy of shining force cd and it worked fine with my sega genesis controller. what my question is, would i need to buy a special sega cd controller to play vay? what should i do? if i am wrong about the controller being the problem, i'm not sure what the heck is wrong. all i know is, the game doesn't respond to the buttons when i press them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Sega CD Vay "problem"?

Quote Originally Posted by chocobokick
    We sold our extra Sega CD Vay because we had a sealed copy, but the one sold was in 100% mint condition. I recieved this email today, anyone want to help formulate a response to this guy?

i just got the game in the mail today. but there seems to be a problem. when i press the buttons, the game won't start. i'm a bit frustrated because i think the problem why my controller is having no effect on the game when i press the buttons is because i need a sega cd controller. and what i have is a sega genesis controller. i didn't know i needed one. especially because i bought a copy of shining force cd and it worked fine with my sega genesis controller. what my question is, would i need to buy a special sega cd controller to play vay? what should i do? if i am wrong about the controller being the problem, i'm not sure what the heck is wrong. all i know is, the game doesn't respond to the buttons when i press them

Oh good freaking gods. Are people really THAT dumb? I would recommend telling him to try making sure that the controller is plugged in all the way and if it is, then try replacing the controller. Also politely inform him that there is no such thing as a "Sega CD controller." I can't imagine that there's any problem with the Vay, especially if it's pristine mint. Also tell him to read the manual, as sometimes buttons you don't expect do things end up being the right ones to press.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It sounds like the game itself boots up OK (he didn't mention any audio or video problems), so it's definitely something wrong with either his controller or controller port. Just tell him to make sure it's plugged in all the way, try out another game, switch out controllers, etc.

And yeah, I'd definitely tell him that there's no "Sega CD controller" either.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but I'm wondering if he has a 6-button controller, and if Vay is incompatible with that controller???

I have a few Genesis games (Toejam & Earl and Forgotten Worlds come to mind immediately) that flat out will not work if I have a 6 button controller plugged in.

Just a thought, feel free to disregard...
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting