Thread: Question about Guitar Hero controllers?

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question about Guitar Hero controllers?

Sorry if this has already been posted but I was wondering about the controllers durability. I just purchased it today and am curious to how long the things actually last. I can imagine them breaking easily for the simple fact all of the crazy things you have to do with them. Has anyone ran into any problems with theirs or are they more durable then they look?

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I started GH1 on Medium difficulty, and it was hard for me to actually play through the entire difficulty... it was so much fun I went for hard. Cowboys was IMPOSSIBLE... but I beat it. And then Bark.

Long story short, I used the game through it's entire learning curve to eventually 5 star 40 of the 47 available songs on Expert. My SG controller got a hell of a lot of use, and aside from me breaking it over my knee (and repairing it myself) I've not had any issues. I'm already like 25 5*'s into expert on GH2 and the new one definitely feels more solid, even though the original run one never gave me any issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RE: Question about Guitar Hero controllers?

I have a 1st run guitar from when the first Guitar Hero bundle was released as well as the cherry SG from the Guitar Hero 2 bundle. The guitars have a different feel for me in regards to the protrusion of the middle fret button, the angle at which star power kicks in, and the stiffness of the whammy bar.

As for durability, the spot where the cord goes into the guitar is a bit weak. I'd always store my original guitar sitting upright and leaning against a rack. I'm guessing that put a bit too much stress on the cord after about a year of use. The controller manufacturer seems to have addressed this flaw by putting a much better cord shield there on the newer models.

These days, I store the guitars by laying them on their side.

As for some other guitars I've used, lots of them seem to have some common issues like non-functional tilt sensors, sticky buttons, and limp whammy bars. I can only imagine what caused those problems. I still prefer my original guitar. As far as I know, originals have their model numbers put right in the plastic where new ones have it on a sticker.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got GH1 the day it came out and litterally played it almost every day until GH2 came out, on expert. It still works great, and now that I've got GH2, it's the 2nd player guitar, so it's still getting itself a nice workout. Everything works just fine, and the only thing that's different is that it's a little tougher to get Star Power activated, but is still possible.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just be careful with it, and you should have no problems with it.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!