Thread: Most hated shooter weapon....ever.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Default Most hated shooter weapon....ever.

Ok, we've all played are fair share of shooters. Those damn ships/planes/bosses/robots, etc. have thrown their share of firepower at us. The question remains.....what is the most annoying weapon ever devised in a shooter that is used against the player? I have to vote for the relatively new "homing laser." It's been featured in alot of recent shooters. You know, the one that's real long and twists and turns until it finally homes in and finishes the job? Yours?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You don't see this very much anymore because the technology has done away with it for the most part, but I used to really hate the spread shots that wouldn't let you shoot again until every bullet had left the screen.

Oh, and this is a little OT, but I really dig the riot gun in Einhander. I love charging it up and then flipping it above or below me and letting fly with this devastating charge blast.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You mean homing lasers like in Galactic Attack / Layer Section / Rayforce with the level 2 and level 4 bosses? That was the first time I'd seen it in a game, and it was from 1993 (JP arcade release). Terribly annoying, yes.

But in Giga Wing, there's a boat boss that suddenly generates a number of discs that pursue a circular orbit around the whole screen and reap one my ships. I hate the whirling discs. >
    And in Red Faction, there are the bots that run around while firing the rail gun with deadly accuracy.

And in R-Type, there are the ships in level 4 (?) that leave behind (destructible) walls in their path. The deposition of walls in a forced motion shooter--this also I hate.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think a couple of these games (although thankfully not many) had gravity wells that would suck you in and destroy you. Those aren't exactly weapons, but they may as well be.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I just played Whip Rush for the first time this weekend and I can say already that this game has one of the worst weapons I've ever had the displeasure of using. The weapon is fired from your ship in the OPPOSITE direction that you move. Move forward and the shots come out your rear, vice versa. I'm sure someone out there likes it, but I don't.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You beat me too it gunstarhero that it my most HATED weapon. Thunder Force II had the same style gun it was called "Nova".
    It did have its use tho... when you were being bombarded and running away from an emeney it would shoot where you were running away from.
    BUT at any other time you sually ended up smaking into another enemy or obstacle trying to aim the damn thing.

However I believe that this topic was originally what weapon USED AGAINST YOU BY THE CPU BOSS was the idea, tho I thought that (by readin the topic title) it was the most hated Power-Up weapon you could find... so I'm confused now...

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oops, my bad! I read the topic, and then I read the homing laser thing and immediately thought "Raiden Triad".

In that case, I always hated those stoopid volcanoes whose rocks you have to dodge before getting to the first boss on gradius. I just have the hardest time avoiding those things for some reason.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Worst power-ups would have been more interesting. But yeah, I'm not crazy about those volcanic rocks in Gradius... or those spheres that appear out of nowhere and fly at you en masse... or the inpenetrable iron doors that close just before you can squeeze through them. Fortunately, the final bosses in Gradius are almost always a cinch. The first Bacterion boss was a giant brain that died of exposure to your ship... you didn't even need to shoot it!

JR

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sir, I dislike four barrelled shotguns. They are a pain in the neck, Sir.

You play a good game, BOYYYYY!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know, I always hated those flying silver balls that lodge themselves into your forehead.

JR

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

However I believe that this topic was originally what weapon USED AGAINST YOU BY THE CPU BOSS was the idea,
    Whoops. I'm trying to think of some weapons used against me that I don't like, but I'm coming up short. Now that I think of it, I don't pay much attention to the type of weapons used against me, I just concentrate on the pattern it creates...I guess I'm missing out! I can't contribute!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hehehe, I answered this with the way I thought I should, then forgot to answer with the PROPER answer!

Anyhoo, as for weapons used against me...
    As bad as homing weapons are; they're only second-worst to me; you know they almost always take the shortest route to you so hopefully you can guide them into a wall or another enemy, but if there are no other obstacles around, just hope you move faster than IT does.

The WORST weapon to face are those ones that just fire a random buckshot at you. Jesus, key word being RANDOM... you may be luckily enough to be facing a boss who "warms up" or something prior to such a devastating attack, but no amount of warning is any use, you just got see where they are coming from when they start, and hope you can extropolate their paths and get to a 'safe spot' in split seconds.

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kidd
    The WORST weapon to face are those ones that just fire a random buckshot at you. Jesus, key word being RANDOM... you may be luckily enough to be facing a boss who "warms up" or something prior to such a devastating attack, but no amount of warning is any use, you just got see where they are coming from when they start, and hope you can extropolate their paths and get to a 'safe spot' in split seconds.Alex Kidd
    I was about to say "bullets--a shitload of bullets", but Alex Kidd has captured the essence better than I would have. There are some boss-emitted bullet sprays in Strikers 1945 II that just make me swear.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every single weapon in the original Unreal for PC.