Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hostility towards Collectors

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think the cell-phone analogy applies, nor does "personal freedom" have anything to do with it...but the point about collector's driving up prices is a valid one, in any niche specialty market. Take Chrono Trigger for SNES. I tried in vain to get a decent somewhat-complete copy on Ebay--there were several buyers bidding on SEVERAL copies at once. And this particular buyer had ALREADY won several CT auctions. WTF??? Hoarding. Fuck these people. I just want to play the damn game, and I happen to like to get things in good condition with most of their materials. Like buying it new. Why is that so fucking hard?
    Another problem is that people sell off the materials separately--the cart separate from the box and manual, for instance. I really have it in for a specific buyer on Ebay because of this.....So yes, I have much disdain for particular aspects of "collecting". Speculators in any market are fuckin' pondscum.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An intrusion is people who have the nerve to tell others(adults) how they should live, what they should wear, and how they should behave in their presence
    Kinda like people who want to control what other people are allowed to bitch about?

Your MORE of a gamer because you only have 4 games and an X-box? Your more of a gamer because you sell off all your games so you can keep up to date with the newest stuff?
    Learn to use you're properly jackass.

What is it with these people that they can't mind their own damn business?
    I agree with you about this... so mind your own damn business.
    Mick Foley is the greatest wrestler of all time.

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Post Script

Ver. 2.0: Of course, Ebay being a market, people can whatever the hell they want. So I'm just complaining. Maybe some people get multiple copies for a retail business. I would do the same. The greater issue for me is why it's so hard to get complete games. Even for very popular games that high production runs. Like Chrono Trigger for fuck's sake!! I can't believe I'd have to pay close to its original retail value of $75. That seems crazy to me. But I've seen on other forums that Funcoland and Gamestop THROW AWAY manuals and boxes!! That's probably a big factor. They're high on my shitlist anyway. That just moved 'em up a few notches.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Eh, I generally only collect the older stuff anyways.. if anyone's going to complain about that, then it's only because they're a collector type themselves. I'm pretty casual about it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People who use cell phones in restaurants = OK
    People who shout into cell phones in restaurants = pricks

Videogame collectors = OK
    Videogame hoarders = pricks

Any questions?
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Just one, bargora-

Should I serve my next baby with honey roast barbecue, or orange glaze?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And this has officially degenerated to uselessness. When a net argument is reduced to grammar complaints it is officially dead.

BTW, Mick Foley isn't the greatest of all time but he may well be #2... WOOOOOOOOO...

BANG BANG

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Wasn't this thread about hostility towards collectors?

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    People who shout into cell phones in restaurants = pricks

Videogame collectors = OK
    Videogame hoarders = pricks

Any questions?
    Perfectly stated. Collectors and Hoarders are truely two types.

Oh, and add People who use two way cellphones in public places = Hellbound

I hate them, they are loud, noisy, and use unnecessary noisy! >squak< >SQUAK< >fizzle<

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd

dave
    Yeah, I was responding to a sig of one of the posters... but it took me so damn long to do it I got beat by like 4 other people and now my post looks out of context.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="Achika"]
    Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    Oh, and add People who use two way cellphones in public places = Hellbound

I hate them, they are loud, noisy, and use unnecessary noisy! >squak< >SQUAK< >fizzle<
    Yep. I don't need to hear you shouting into a device about how the fucking honey ham is $.50 cheaper per lb than the spiced ham. At least be rude enough to call them and shout into the phone in a real time conversation, or god forbid, you make a decision without consulting someone else to make it for you.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd

dave
    Yes, sorry it has degenerated into what it has. Apparantley had I not included the cellphone analogy, things would have been different. I had no intentions of getting into that debate when I started the thread.

Apparently their is two distinctions between collectors that I didn't consider, that of Hoarders and just Collector gamers? Even with Hoarders I don't have a problem because games are produced in such mass numbers I can't imagine a few hoarders on Ebay are driving the market value up on any games. Never met any Hoarders by the way. Besides, the Buyers set the market price, not the Sellers.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sir Bratwurst: While both are tempting, I would have to recommend Orange Glaze. Because I find that baby tastes like duck.

Kid Fenris: You are an evil genius.

And now maybe we can get past the cell phone thing. We know "hoarders" are bad, but what exactly is a hoarder? Is it someone who owns a game but never opens it? Never plays it? Or is it someone who owns a bunch of copies of a game? If the latter, how many copies of a game would you have to buy to be a hoarder?

I mean, it seems to me that these people on the other forums (AS IF their opinions matter--STUPID OTHER FORUMS) should really be complaining about
    Quote Originally Posted by Racoon Lad
    uninformed noobs with bottemless bank accounts
    who jack up the price on ebay, not "collectors". Collectors in general seem to
    (1) be too knowledgeable, and
    (2) not have enough extra money, because they buy a lot of games,
    to blow money out their asses on ridiculous bids.

Gunstarhero, what are these other, inferior, collector-hating-gnome-infested forums that you are talking about?
    I want to go stir up trouble.

I HAEV FIVE SAELED RAIDENT SILVERGNUS AND I JUST RUB THEM B3TWEEN MY BUTT CHEEK5 HAHAHAHAHAH MAO
    (\ /)
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

A call to arms! The Collector's Crusades!!!! I will join you so we may strike them at either flank for a SNEAK ATTACK OF HILARITY

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bargora wrote:
    We know "hoarders" are bad, but what exactly is a hoarder? Is it someone who owns a game but never opens it? Never plays it? Or is it someone who owns a bunch of copies of a game? If the latter, how many copies of a game would you have to buy to be a hoarder?
    Great question, because I've never encountered such a person, so I've not put much thought into it, if any. Maybe we are talking about a person who knows videogames, doesn't necessarily play them alot, but knows enough to know which game series/types regularly increase in value over time. This person buys more than one copy of a game specifically to sell it when it seems the market is 'hottest' for that game in the future. It can't be simply someone who owns a bunch of copies of a game because I'm sure plenty of us have acquired numerous copies of games simply by buying up peoples collections.

Still I don't have any problem with someone buying 4 copies of a game in hopes of future investment, I mean everyone has some way they want to make money. There's just to many games made for so-called hoarders to affect market price IMHO. In the end, I don't think its the collectors that are causing prices of games to rise, to the contrary, its Joe-Gamer who doesn't take care of the games, throws out the packaging, and eventually even loses it or maybe even throws it away etc.. The loss of games, not the collection of games is what I feel ultimately raises market values of games. There are other considerations, but I feel the main reason is this one.

So how would I define a hoarder? Well, it obviously has a negative connotation to the word, so a hoarder represents the bad side of game collecting.

Hoarder: A person who owns 2 or more sealed copies of a videogame for no other purpose than to sell for a profit in the future, meanwhile possibly keeping market values for rare games unnessarily high.

Hows that?

Gunstarhero, what are these other, inferior, collector-hating-gnome-infested forums that you are talking about?
    Well, I don't want to name names becuase thats not my intention here. This was just something I randomly thought up as a topic while I was working yesterday. It didn't quite go so well, and I may have stepped on some toes and I apologize to anyone if I did.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, so you're saying that it's the speculators that are the hoarders that are bad. Fair enough.

It's too bad you won't spill where all the collector hate is pooling, though. I do so love a rhubarb.
    (\ /)
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY