Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the GameBoy gurus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question for the GameBoy gurus

I just picked up a GameBoy at auction and have some questions about it. First, it is green. I knew that they made various colors or GameBoys, but I had previously thought that they started that with the GameBoy Pocket. Also, this came in a clear plastic box that seems to be the original package. It has compartments for the system, games, and I am guessing maybe an AC adapter. The reason I believe that this is the original box is that on the back the Nintendo logo is molded into the plastic and there is a proof of purchase label with the serial number and customer service info on it. It has a spot for the date of purchase but nobody filled it in. The bottom of the label has a perforation so it appears that part of it gets torn off (at purchase time?)

I can post pics if need be.

Is this a common system and package? I had never seen anything like this before? Any help from you GameBoy gurus?

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hate to reply to my own post, but I guess I should have checked the Rarity guide first. Oops. Apparently they made these starting in 1995, but that doesn't answer the question of rarity. Any ideas?

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm no GB guru, but this does sound interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    First, it is green. I knew that they made various colors or GameBoys, but I had previously thought that they started that with the GameBoy Pocket.
    Yes, I thought so as well.

Also, this came in a clear plastic box that seems to be the original package.
    Sounds cool, but I bet it's a third party carry box, maybe some sort of bundle. You did say it has Nintendo on it? As far as I know, they sold in a cardboard box. But who knows, there's always surprises to be had.

So yes, please post a picture.

Oh, and a random picture of the GB lineup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, im no guru, but i'm pretty sure they are not that rare, they were just a re-release... also, the plastic case came with the GB, i remember when i got my gameboy, and it came in one just like it....they're decent

"And shepards we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee. Power from hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patri et Fili Spiritu Sancte"

drwily008: A kodiak bear bent on world domination.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to own a Green original Gameboy. It has black buttons right? Good times, unfortunately I traded it in for a GBC back in 99 or so, before I caught wind of the retro bug.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are a couple of pics. It sucks trying to take pictures of clear plastic.

JY

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

afaik they were a toys r us exclusive

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IIRC, these colored GameBoys were part of Nintendo's "Play It Loud!" campaign. Readily available at all major retailers, they were available in green, red, yellow, clear, and black, and were mainly an attempt to maintain interest in the GameBoy line until the release of the GameBoy Pocket the next year. I believe all of these GameBoys came packed in the clear cases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's also a Manchester United GB. After checking Wikipedia, it turns out it's part of the Play it Loud campaign too.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Green Game Boy is indeed part of the Play It Loud series. They came out the year before Game Boy Pockets were released. In addition to the Game Boy and the clear box, the Play It Loud series came with batteries. The box originally had two cardboard inserts which served to make the clear box look more like a regular box, for shelf presence.

They are not terribly rare. Having the warranty card intact is nice, as it links that Game Boy to that box, via serial number.

That Manchester United Game Boy is a UK exlusive. There were no similar models released in the US. We only got the grey model and the 5 Play It Loud colors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So what is the rarest retail Gameboy (any version)? I'd say the GBC and cart that came with the Singer Izek sewing machine would be pretty rare? Anything rarer?

What about non-retail GBs? Surely there's some daft solid gold GBA, hand-crafted by Oompa loompas that was a Pokemon Centre exclusive?

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they made several colors of these. im missing at least two(blue and pink) but theres a few of the other colors for you to look for.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My sister has or had that yellow GB
    Last edited by jajaja; 02-04-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    There's also a Manchester United GB. After checking Wikipedia, it turns out it's part of the Play it Loud campaign too.

This picture (the one on wiki) is faked.
    The original Manchester LE has a black Manchester emblem on the bottom-left (is that a dragon?)

This is mine:

search engine @

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yup, I paid $50 CDN for a Play It Loud clear model back in the day at TRU, packaged exactly as described. Still have it, too. I think there were some versions that were packaged with sunglasses?

The "Ice Blue" Game Boy Pocket was a "limited edtion", but there's a host of fancy special editions that put that to shame rarity-wise.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

on the subject of rare gameboys. I grabbed this last week for 139.99 on ebay complete in box and packaging.

I know it was exclusively sold at the Tezuka Osamu World Shop in Japan. But just how many were made? How many are accounted in peoples hands roughly? ANd how would you value it complete in box and mint like new?
    Last edited by mills; 02-04-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ooh, a Game Boy Light. Those are fairly uncommon to begin with, I understand.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Ooh, a Game Boy Light. Those are fairly uncommon to begin with, I understand.
    Osamu Tezuka World Shop Game Boy Light!

"This Game Boy Light is a very limited edition, again from the Tezuka Osamu World shop and features a collection of Tezuka San's creations. This version was only sold in the T- O- W- Shop between the dates of 17th June - 27th Sept 1998, Making it a very rare addition to anyone's collection."

source
    search engine @

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow...a Man United GB? I want, I want, I want! Anyone know how much these go for right now?

And, in one of the above posts, where you said (Is it a dragon?), if you are talking about the Manchester emblem, it is not a dragon, but a devil.
    I am teh winnar of the internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 64Bits View Post
    Wow...a Man United GB? I want, I want, I want! Anyone know how much these go for right now?

And, in one of the above posts, where you said (Is it a dragon?), if you are talking about the Manchester emblem, it is not a dragon, but a devil.
    Well, it's a little obscure as a LE, so you may find it cheaply. I've paid mine 16 GBP and a friend of mine paid his even less.

It's in my search list.

As for the Osamu Tezuka GBs, I've got a friend who wants to sell the set of two (red and blue) new for 200 euros each.
    search engine @