Hey all. I recently encountered an issue with my Model 1 Sega CD, all my saved games vanished! I've owned this system for years and never had this happen. In fact I had it in storage for about 3 years and sure enough all my saved data was still present and thus I've never felt the need to actually own the Sega CD Backup cart until now..

I can't think of what caused this to happen other than maybe the fact that Dune locked up forcing me to shut the system off. CD games locking up have happened to me on very rare occasions but never causing me to lose my saves. Or maybe it's because I was playing some rather lackluster Genesis games I found at a garage sale.. Slaughter Sport among them.

So to keep this short, a few question:

1) Does the internal Sega CD memory run off battery? If so, what type?

2) Is it possible certain Genesis games can somehow mess with the Sega CD memory? I do remember once when trying to get slaughter sport started that the cart was in the slot but the Sega CD came on any ways so of course I just flipped it off and cleaned the cart..

3) Is there some "proper" way of shutting off a Model 1 Sega CD? I searched here and read something about ejecting the disc before shutting the power off. I've always just shut the power off when I'm done playing, is this wrong? Could it affect the memory?

And yes, my Sega CD still appears to save games just fine. But I don't want to get too far into Dune unless I can trust that my Sega CD isn't going to lose my game again. I lost about 2 hours game time because of this.

Long winded post I know, but I can't find info on the internal Sega CD memory any where it seems. Any helpful comments appreciated, trying to keep this system alive for as long as possible. Thanks!