Thread: The Hitbox

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Hitbox

You know what I mean. You spend some quality time with a couple of Treasure shooters, and then you load up a Psikyo shmup. And BOOM!!! WTF??? Suddenly, you feel robbed because that bullet sure as hell didn't hit the dead center of your ship.

On the other hand, there's Galactic Attack, where your ship takes up, what, one-quarter of the screen?

So, you shmup connoiseurs (I mean, freedom-loving-enthusiasts), which shmups have the biggest and smallest hitboxes? What are your feelings on what the "right" size is? Does Strikers 1945 II get it right?

BOOM!!!
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Radiant Silvergun's got great ship collision detection, because there's hardly any. The enemies have to hit you perfectly to take you down, and you can even get bonus points if you let your ship get grazed by bullets or get paint-scrapingly close to walls.
    I don't remember if it was Radiant Silvergun or Mars Matrix that had no ship to ship collision detection. One of those games let you touch other ships, but no bullets. Let me tell you, that REALLY came in handy.

JR

POST 25!
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it's Mars Matrix that lets you pass though enemy ships. Only the bullets hurt.

But then Strikers 1945 II only takes you down a power level if you collide with an enemy ship, rather than sending you spiraling down in a ball of flame.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY