Thread: "The Graveyard"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default "The Graveyard"

This is a work in progress. I plan on including this story in my upcoming book about buying and selling arcade games. It is a true story and I hope you enjoy it. -Rob

-----

... I’m standing in the doorway of an unmarked, nondescript warehouse. The building is one of a dozen identical looking warehouses all in a row off the same alley. It’s dark, but even without working streetlights I can make out the form of my own breath in the cold night air. An unknowing observer would probably assume I was there to buy drugs, or guns, or plutonium.

Slowly, the warehouse lights begin to warm up. The buzz from the flickering fixtures is the only sound in the otherwise still warehouse. As my eyes adjust to the dim light I can begin to make out arcade cabinets – dozens of them, maybe more, packed tightly side-by-side and in rows, taking up nearly every square inch of the building’s floor space. The owner, climbing over dead monitors and discarded parts, works his way from the breaker box back toward where I’m standing. Just as I begin to make out the man’s shape in the dimly-lit room, the lights power on with full strength. I squint for a moment while my eyes adjust to the burst of brightness; when I’m able to open them fully, I get my first true glimpse of ‘the graveyard.’

Centipede. Donkey Kong. Pac-Man. Ms. Pac-Man. Battlezone. Dragon’s Lair. The line of cabinets read like a who’s who of arcade classics. It’s strange to see this many games all in one place, silent; the emotion is hard to describe. I feel excited and sad at the same time. Perhaps that’s what nostalgia feels like.

I’ve arrived at the warehouse this cold night to purchase a Golden Axe arcade game. Unfortunately, among the sea of cabinets, neither the owner nor I can seem to find it.

“I think it might be behind these machines over here,” he says, climbing on top of an obviously dead Ms. Pac-Man cabinet. He places his hand over his eyes to block the bright fluorescent lights, appearing more like a mountain explorer than arcade vendor. After scanning the rows of machines from his perch, he spies it.

“There it is,” he announces while hopping down off the machine. “Give me a hand,” he says as he motions toward a stack of back doors. Arcade cabinets have back doors to allow operators easy access to a machine’s guts. Typically the doors are attach to machines with hinges and locks, however if a person is going to be working on a cabinet for an extended period of time, it is not uncommon to remove the door. Leaning up against the cabinets next to us are at least 30 doors, all black, of slightly different designs. The owner begins hanging me doors, and I begin stacking them behind us. As each door is handed to me, I’m told what it goes to. “Pac-Man…” he says. “Ms. Pac-Man.” “Midway.” “Pac-Man.” The pile of doors is quickly relocated.

Soon, the warehouse becomes a real-life sliding-tile puzzle. Moving the doors freed up Double Dragon, which is moved to in front of the front door. That frees up Burgertime, which then opens up Defender, which opens up the game behind it. Each cabinet screeches as it is slid across the concrete floor (none of them have wheels), occasionally leaving a trail of bits of wood and flakes of paint behind them.

Finally, after several minutes of sliding heavy wooden boxes around, the Golden Axe cabinet appears, standing before us – although technically speaking, it actually leans in front of us. Due to years of water damage and wood rot, the left hand side of the cabinet is at least an inch shorter than the right. As we begin to slide the game out into the aisle we’ve created, large chunks of the cabinet begin to crack and break off.

“It works great,” I’m promised. As the seller moves behind the machine to plug it in, I stare at, what at least once was, a good looking machine. The side art’s not bad. The control panel’s dirty, but complete. The marquee isn’t in bad shape. If it weren’t for the fact that the entire machine was “listing to port” and completely rotten, it wouldn’t be too bad.

The seller pops his head around the side of the cabinet. “Get ready for the pop,” he says jokingly. I fake a laugh while secretly preparing myself for a pop, a fire, or a glass explosion. Instead, we get nothing.

“Maybe this plug is bad,” he says, as he begins digging through a nearby pile for an extension cord. Maybe the plug is bad. Or maybe the game has breathed its last breath. After the immediate search fails to produce an extension cord, it’s back to the breaker box. Several switches are flipped, one of which starts a radio blaring. “We’re in business,” he says, as we wiggle our way back to the front of the warehouse.

“Get ready for the pop,” he says again, and plugs the machine into the wall. The machine limps to life. The marquee light flickers, the monitor begins to glow, and a loud, monotone buzz emits from the speaker. The game coins up, but as the owner begins to play even he can no longer maintain the façade.

“She’s in pretty bad shape,” he says. Regardless, with our heads cocked 45 degrees to match the Leaning Tower of Golden Axe’s angle, he manages to play through most of the first level, the two of us providing our own sound effects over the machine’s constant hum.

Eventually, the seller says what we’re both thinking. “I can’t sell this to you,” he says, which alleviates the stress of having to tell him I didn’t want it. “I had forgotten just how rough this one was,” he says.

It’s easy to do; It’s easy to look past the scratches and dings and see these machines for what they once were rather than what they are now. I get excited when I see the three Dragon’s Lair cabinets sitting along the far wall; when I express an interest, he informs me that new laser disc players will run more than $500 per machine – which explains why they sit there.

The rows of games show their age upon closer inspection. This one needs a monitor. That one needs new paint. All of them need something. Some of them are beyond help. I learn that Golden Axe will most likely be parted out. The marquee, the bezel (the artwork that goes around the monitor), the control panel, the coin door, and other parts will most likely hit eBay; the owner will triple his income on this particular game doing this. The monitor will be repaired and added to the pile of working monitors, waiting for game transplants. Like a parasite, the machine will be scoured until no working part is left behind. The rotting carcass of a cabinet, along with anything that can’t be or isn’t worth removing, will end up in the dumpster across the alley. The seller tells me he’s always looking for helpers to help break apart old cabinets with a sledgehammer.

As we begin sliding games back into their final resting places, I run across a Robocop cabinet. I actually have a Robocop game in a crappy cabinet (not as bad as the Golden Axe was, but close). Secretly I hope the machine doesn’t work – I can save some money that way, as all I really need is the cabinet itself. The machine fires up; however with a bad monitor and a chunk of wood missing, the seller figures it’s worth about as much as the Golden Axe was. We exchange cash, and begin the machine-sliding game once again.

As we maneuver 300 pound cabinets around the warehouse floor, the seller tells me a story. It’s the story of a guy who loved arcade games, and a guy who eventually went on to work in the arcade-repair industry. Through a stroke of luck the guy ended up with a sizable chunk of money, the majority of which he invested in old, “fixer-upper” arcade games. Some of the money went to stock. A lot of the money went toward warehouse rental; space ain’t cheap, and this is just one of his three warehouses. There were dreams of opening an arcade, dreams which for one reason or another didn’t materialize. Fixing and selling games pays the rent some months, especially around Christmas, but more often than not it doesn’t.

And now, the money has begun to dry up. Slow sales have pushed the seller closer to plan B, “liquidation.” More than once the seller reminds me that “everything’s for sale,” as we make our way through the stacks, piles and rows of arcade history.

Indeed, everything’s for sale. Even nostalgia.

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice little story there its a shame to hear that the Golden Axe machine did not work.
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really enjoyed reading this, it would be very interested in the book.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very good read, and a very sad one at that. It kind of helps me squelch the urge to ever buy authentic arcade cabinets in the future (provided I ever obtained the space for them).

I dreamed of one day owning a 4 player Simpsons arcade cabinet, but finding these things in tip-top shape seems like a chore. A local indoor car dealership has a small wall dedicated to 6-7 arcade machines, and one of them is a Simpsons cabinet. Unfortunately, the left half of the button base is ripped-off (no visual of Homer to be seen), leaving nothing but a rough particale board surface. The moniotr is a little faded, some of the buttons are wonky, and only two coin slots work (you can only play as Marge or Lisa...).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good story enjoyed reading it. sucks for all those machines!

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason I pictured all of these battered cabs coming to life and consoling the Golden Axe about "almost making it out" after you two walked out of the warehouse. It feels somewhere between the Island of Misfit Toys and Sid's creations in Toy Story. If there was a Pong unit in there, I bet all of the others would call it "Gramps." Good story.

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Neat story. This reminds me of visiting a coin-op operator's storage that was actually two big steel chicken barns....loaded full of not only video games, but tons of electro-mechanical games from amusement parks, and old pinball playfields and backglasses...stacked up to the ceiling. This was quite a few years ago, I don't know what if anything has happened to all the stuff.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whenever that book comes out Flack give me a PM, I'll buy a copy. There simply isn't enough about the good ole' days left for me to read and get enough of. Truth is I hate buying all the magazines today because it's everyone covering the same material, I like going back into time and reliving those days or even being introduced to games I never knew existed. Shoot I'm surprised by about 250 + games that are on the KLOV website that say "Wide Release" and I never saw a physical cab of those games anywhere in my area or places traveled. Tis a shame really.

Quote Originally Posted by Technosis View Post
    Neat story. This reminds me of visiting a coin-op operator's storage that was actually two big steel chicken barns....loaded full of not only video games, but tons of electro-mechanical games from amusement parks, and old pinball playfields and backglasses...stacked up to the ceiling. This was quite a few years ago, I don't know what if anything has happened to all the stuff.
    Sounds like a guy I know locally. He's got this huge warehouse behind his house with about 100 uprights of various games (Final Fight, Turbo Outrun, Shinobi, Super Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, Ninja Gaiden, Turkey Shoot... just a few I remember) and pinball machines, beezles on the wall, marquees in filing cabinets, crane machines etc. The guy got out of the business some time back selling his routes off and just has this stuff sitting around. If I had more money and the space to put it in I'd buy it all up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is a strong story to tell among us the arcade games enthusiasts. I am also planning to write something about it. What stops me of doing that is my work as a manager at one of the local Time Out arcades. Writing most of it will be like firing myself in the foot, if you know what I mean(being fired).

Each day I see what could be a good story for us, or a really bad one. But right now, this kind of business is operating with a strong sense of nostalgia. That could be good for a moment, but steping back to reality indicates that all the hard work reconstructing the games, having the games up and running, having to deal with customers, and many other tasks will be fading away as each day goes. It(the arcades) will probably end up being a small game room in one movie theater or pizzeria.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thumbs down 'Good story. Thanks for sharing.

'Good story. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very well written and enjoyable, sad as well.

Please let us know as the book comes along.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, I'm definately buying that book when it's finished. Do you have a publisher and everything lined up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    Dude, I'm definately buying that book when it's finished. Do you have a publisher and everything lined up?
    Not yet, no. I am hoping my past writing experience (Commodork, Retro Gaming Hacks, Videogame Collector Magazine) will help me get this one published by a mainstream publisher. And if not, I will self-publish it through Lulu like I did Commodork. Self-publishing has its ups and downs.

This book will be a combination of all my arcade-related stories mixed with pretty much everything I know about arcade games. The book will cover things like the parts of games, where to buy games, how to restore games, how to flip games for profit, MAME ... pretty much everything I can think of to write about will be in there. It won't be a super technical book when it comes to repairs, but there will be enough information to get you headed in the right direction (for example, I might not explain every capacitor needed to cap every particular monitor, but I will explain what a cap kit is, in general how to apply one, where to get one, etc.)

The only problem I'm having right now is getting the stories to flow along with the more dry information. If I mix the two together I think it makes it harder to read for people looking for information; with it separated out, it feels like you are constantly flipping back and forth between two different books. I'll work on it.

Thank you everyone who took the time to read this and left me a comment. They are all greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm on the right track!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool way to tell the story Rob. I can't count how many times I've found a game I really want, only to discover it's so badly damaged by time that it's not worth buying even for parts.

If you need an eye to look over anything, let me know. I'd love a sneak read of your next book. Commodork was the story of my childhood so I can't wait to read the next one!
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!