Thread: The Hook Up: How to Manage 18 Consoles on One TV

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Default The Hook Up: How to Manage 18 Consoles on One TV

Note: I still need to retake the pic of the finished product from the front. The one in my gallery must now be considered old.

Digital Press has a wonderful little saying at the top of the site’s main page: “consoles precariously wired in spider-web fashion...”

Yeah, that just about covers it. Every once in a while though, something goes wrong when you’re dealing with stuff like this. In this case, it was a new TV. New cables led me to a new switch box, new cabling, and moved systems.

Now, it’s simply not plausible to move two consoles around. The mass of tangled wires behind the TV doesn’t allow for something like that. In this case, there’s only one thing can be done. The dreaded, all encompassing “movement of them all.”

Yes, every console needs disconnected, moved off the entertainment center, cables following behind, and other assorted wires set aside. That leads to a clean rear of the entertainment center. This rare moment shows that yes, there is a floor:

http://videogamecollectors.com/galle...Nirvana/before

There are a few cables still hanging around there. A stray VGA cable, unseen speaker wires above the shot, and the AC adapter for the TV and receiver are the only ones left in this barren wasteland.

So begins the agonizing process or reconnecting it all. My goal this time around was to minimize the amount of cords being stretched across the back. In other words, all consoles hooked up via composite on one side, s-video on another, VGA down below, and component near the Pelican system selector.

The most painless aspect of all of this is connecting the final cables to the TV. In the end, only four will actually be connected, with a fifth soon to come after an eBay seller gets off his ass and sends it my way. As such, this is usually the final step.

After placing the consoles in their eventual resting place, the real challenge begins. Because of the varying length, it’s impossible to string these together with any kind of wrap or tubing. They also need to be loose and free to make it easier to maneuver when something goes wrong later. The last thing that needs to happen is to step on a rare cable only to have it pull tight and snap something. It doesn’t look pretty or organized, but it’s safer.

So, the best way to start is to focus on a particular set of consoles and there’s more room to maneuver on the left side because the entertainment center is offset in terms of the room. That means the component and s-video based consoles get strung together first. That’s eight consoles and two switchboxes. All of the above have their own power needs.

Power cords are generally thinner and easier to identify. These come first. This is somewhat backwards however as you want to be sure the systems have power running to them from one of the six surge protectors. However, some don’t have LEDs or they’ve long since burned out (in the case of my slowly dying SNES). It’s not as much of a problem with modern consoles as it is the older ones.

So, the Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, and Wii connect to the Pelican System Selector Pro. This houses not just component video, but Ethernet, analog audio, and optical audio. That’s a ton of stuff coming out of this thing. The SNES, N64, 3DO, Saturn, and Neo Geo all go s-video. This entire mass of consoles is now crammed on the right side of entertainment center. Lots of stacking required to say the least.

The two systems now hooked up via VGA, the main reason for this move, sit just below the TV now. The Xbox 360/HD-DVD player is somewhat in tight confines and builds up quite a bit of heat. It has a lot of ventilation behind it though, so I feel safe. The Dreamcast sits on a shelf to the lower left of the 360. The KVM VGA switch, since it needs manual changing, is to the left of the Dreamcast, sitting next to the Turbo Duo.

That leaves the consoles that get hooked up via composite. Yes, I’m well aware that composite + HDTV is a very, very ugly thing, though I have to say I’m fairly impressed by how well this set handles it. Very little color bleeding and imperfections are minor. Anyway, four systems go on the left total.

There’s quite a bit of wasted shelf space thanks to some of the ancient gaming console design choices. The Genesis/32X/Sega CD combo nearly needs a room by itself. A cheap composite switch box sends the video to the TV. This is a far easier set up thanks to the lower number of systems.

Once that’s finished, a few more cables are sent to the home theater and then switched when I realize I plugged them I wrong, and we’re done. The final result reveals this masterpiece:

http://videogamecollectors.com/galle...-Nirvana/after

Of course, after reading all of that, you probably want stats. Here you go:

Number of items plugged in: 23

Outlets used: 11

Cleanliness of job on 1 to 10 scale: Hovering around 0.

Rough number of total connected cables, including all video, audio, and power: 70

Total cost: I really don’t care to know.

Total hours of work: Around 3 hours.

Number of times electrically shocked: 1

Number of mistakes after job was thought to be done: 4

Number of found mystery wires that led to nowhere during disconnecting process: 3

Likely number of equally useless wires upon re-install: 3

Added number of cables when compared to prior install: 5

Number of needed cables: 1

Potential for fire on 1 to 10 scale: Purchased extra house insurance. You figure it out.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I have my less used consoles plugged into different power strips, and I usually keep those strips switched off to conserve power, since they still draw power even when turned off. I really need to invest in one of those high-end system selectors (or two), to make things easier.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

i thought mine was nuts but yours is pretty sick.

i myself have this as my set up:
    Component selector-Xbox,ps2,wii, cord from s-video box to send the audio to my studio speakers
    S-video selector-Snes,N64, DC,Saturn and genesis/sega cd (i use a composite to s-video adapter just to make the setup manageble)
    Nes on composite and Coleco on RF
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice. Call me old-fashioned (or an idiot), but I'm still using the good old unplug-one-system-to-make-room-for-another method. My game room has ONE outlet near the TV, so I'm constantly switching stuff on and off the power strip (which is buried behind the TV). Then I get to have the enjoyment of switching A/V cables from the TV each time I want to play a different system. I've had cheaper A/V cables actually break apart from doing this too much! But for now it's the sad life I live, and it won't be changing until I move to a bigger living environment. Hopefully, when that happens I'll have the motivation to do something like what you've done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh. That's great.

I have my stereo/DVD player, stereos, VCR, TiVO, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Dreamcast, PS2, a lamp, and the TV all plugged into one outlet. The lamp takes one outlet, and the 11-outlet surge protector does the rest.
    The future is to those who take it!

Like Video Game Merchandise? Buy some here! Rare stuff in many categories! (Click the pic)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

That's just mental, man. Nice one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not bad, not bad... I have 28 devices on the gaming TV, myself. A six foot power strip made that easier

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What are the restrictions for safely plugging things into a standard 3-prong grounded outlet?

I.e. surge protectors connected to surge protectors, etc.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I learned my lesson many years ago from trying to have everything hooked up at once. It was a nightmare.

Now it's simplify, simplify. My video-game-playing TV is in my living room, and all of my systems, cords, and games are in my computer room. My modded Xbox is the one system that is permanently hooked up to the TV, never going anywhere. Anything else, I bring them out from the computer room one at a time. I have the RF, A/V, and S-Video jacks all ready to hook to. But I just bring one system out at a time. If I want a new one, I unhook the existing one before bringing out a new one. That's the only way I'll do it. I keep everything insanely organized and tidy.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've got like 30 or 40 systems hooked to the TV using 8-way splitters. Yeah, RF sucks. I'll upgrade eventually.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!