Thread: Thinking of selling off my video game collection.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Thinking of selling off my video game collection.

I have about $2000+ worth of games, systems, accessories, and other stuff. I probably paid $1500 for the stuff total, but a lot of it went way up in price (particularly many of my Japanese Saturn shooters and fighting games). So, I'd be selling off my entire PS1/PS2 RPG collection, all my shooters from PC-Engine to Dreamcast, my old N64 collection, and a bunch of other games. I'd keep a select few things, such as my Wii, DS, and PS2, and quite a few games I just can't give up for those systems--namely my MGS collection, Castlevania collection, and Zelda collection. I'll probably still buy some games once in awhile, just the absolute AAA games though.

Really, I've lost interest in video games. I'm a senior in high school and while I've always told myself I'd never get out of gaming, I feel like it's becoming a chore. I have so many unbeaten games and so many games I haven't even touched. If I'm not playing Oblivion or something else I really love, it feels like playing is more of a responsibility or a task I have to do.

I've got other interests, namely tennis and just generally hanging out. I'm getting much more social in general and I have a better group of friends. I have a girlfriend now as well. I'm reading more and I'm caring more about myself in terms of exercise and stuff.

So guys, before I do major damage to my collection, is there anyone that can convince me not to sell off this stuff? I've already gotten rid of my most valuble stuff, such as Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radiant Silvergun, Digital Devil Saga Deluxe, and a few SNES gems.

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Start by looking at this thread:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91000

I went through a similar place in life at that age, where gaming wasn't so important anymore compared to new friends, activities and outlook on life. But if you really enjoy the hobby you will want to come back to your old favorites at some point. If you end up having to rebuy them, you'll find that many have continued to go up in value, and you'll spend a lot of money to get them back.

I'd say start by selling off those games that you never really cared about or never really got to, but hold on to anything that you really enjoyed. You'll thank yourself later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by cityside75 View Post
    Start by looking at this thread:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91000

I'd say start by selling off those games that you never really cared about or never really got to, but hold on to anything that you really enjoyed. You'll thank yourself later.
    Exactly what I was going to say, particularly the last part. I sold over 100+ Saturn games in 2006. Made quite a nice buck. I sold off those games which I knew I bought largely for collector's reasons. I didn't really need SF Alpha 1 when I had SF Alpha 2.

Just sell out those games you know you wouldn't miss. Hang on to the rest, and if you still feel the same way in 6 months, start the weeding out process even further.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd keep it. Let's face it; two grand is not a huge chunk of cash and itll be gone before you know it. Hell, 2k doesn't even pay for a single semester at my university. Just keep the stuff, if you get back into it you'll thank yourself. If not, give it to your kids.

Or you could give it to me. For free.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypse later View Post
    Really, I've lost interest in video games. I'm a senior in high school and while I've always told myself I'd never get out of gaming, I feel like it's becoming a chore. I have so many unbeaten games and so many games I haven't even touched. If I'm not playing Oblivion or something else I really love, it feels like playing is more of a responsibility or a task I have to do.

I've got other interests, namely tennis and just generally hanging out. I'm getting much more social in general and I have a better group of friends. I have a girlfriend now as well. I'm reading more and I'm caring more about myself in terms of exercise and stuff.
    I understand the first paragraph but what's with the second? I've gone through quite a few changes in the past few years but it hasn't slown me down. There's a bunch of active members on the site and just game or collect on the side, and truth be told games are a great entertainment with friends over. Ever been to a LAN party?

I'd suggest just selling those games you can't stand or know won't matter down the road (how you figure this out, let me know) and just sit on what you have afterwards for awhile. For those absolute favorites just nearly box them up and store them in a good, safe place for another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    I'd keep it. Let's face it; two grand is not a huge chunk of cash and itll be gone before you know it. Hell, 2k doesn't even pay for a single semester at my university. Just keep the stuff, if you get back into it you'll thank yourself. If not, give it to your kids.

Or you could give it to me. For free.
    $2k, it really is a drop in the bucket once you graduate from high school. I miss my bigger pay-checks. They'll be back in the summer-time.
    Last edited by cyberfluxor; 03-19-2007 at 06:57 PM.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not trying to quit gaming. I'm just realizing that having a knowledge of games that hardcore gamers play and actually enjoying them are two different things.

I'm sure I'll still be playing Metal Gear Solid and Kingdom Hearts a few years from now. I'm just not into stuff like Xenosaga or Digital Devil Saga.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypse later View Post
    I'm not trying to quit gaming. I'm just realizing that having a knowledge of games that hardcore gamers play and actually enjoying them are two different things.

I'm sure I'll still be playing Metal Gear Solid and Kingdom Hearts a few years from now. I'm just not into stuff like Xenosaga or Digital Devil Saga.

You said it right there.. Keep Metal Gear Solid and Kingdom Hearts and sell Xenosaga and DDS. If you know you don't like them and will never play them again...sell them. Don't sell them for money cause people are right in saying that the money isn't really that much.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Do NOT sell them. I guarantee you'll regret it down the road when that gaming bug returns.

Insert Coin (Level 0) cosmicpsycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have a g/f, im in pretty good shape, play in a band, make movies, read alot, and i still find time to play my games. maybe not all of them but, ive been buying alot lately. i say keep em, but what do i know. crap i still collect comics too. ive got way too many hobbies, but i love em all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicpsycho View Post
    i have a g/f, im in pretty good shape, play in a band, make movies, read alot, and i still find time to play my games. maybe not all of them but, ive been buying alot lately. i say keep em, but what do i know. crap i still collect comics too. ive got way too many hobbies, but i love em all.
    Keepin' it real! I have so many video games, anime, books and even computer repairs on the back burner for months, yet I'm still buying more games, anime, books and computers + parts! That's just the tip of the iceberg, but I know when I move out of the parents place (sometime in the next 3 years when I get through the masters program) I'll be going back and revisiting all the things I didn't touch and those I've come close to beating. It's really funny because when it comes to gaming lately most of it's either done on handhelds at work (like right now I have my NGPC on me ) or when hanging out with others (usually it's me bringing over extra controllers, games and whatnot).

ATM my current daily schedule is:
    work -> thrift/pawn -> school -> home -> gym -> sleep
    Weekends are free and are spent with randomness.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i went threw this exact same thing back in high school, but my collection was about $4k worth of stuff. well i debated on selling it and didn't until i just got tired of looking at the stuff. so i sold it all to a friend for $500 just to take it away. now 5 years later i wanna kick myself in the ass for doing it. i have pretty much gotten everything i used to have and a lot more, but it has cost me quite a chunk of change to do it.

like CF said i find myself playing with handhelds a lot more lately than my Wii or the other 18 systems i own, but it will come a time when i wanna play the 7800 and i will have it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, nothing wrong with getting into eBay and selling off a variety of things you will NEVER play again. No harm in that.... but DON'T START TALKING CRAZY!!! I went through a similar phase around the same time period in my life-- I was going off to college and obviously I wasn't taking my collection to the dorm. Too much stuff that I didn't even want touched by other hands-- let alone, stolen. The one thing I took was my Xbox, but even that wasn't much fun (my idiot roommates played Halo and thought it sucked, and then went back to playing their N64 Turok games). So I became distant from gaming. Now, like 4 years later I'm completely back into it. Oddly, the game that got me back into both modern and classic gaming-- Madden 07. I had piles of games to catch up on, so like you gaming had become more of a chore; and those piles can be quite discouraging. But I've always been a sports game nut, so the pick-up-and-play style of gameplay got me back into it (yes, the game is a rehash every year, but the last version I had played was 02). Soon I was finally catching up on PS2 games I missed, like MGS2, and after that I was bringing out the 8, 16, and 32-bit systems for a lot more playtime.

Listen, no one can fault you for getting more into "real life" than video games. Hey, if you have the choice between a real pickup game of basketball and a game of NBA 2K7, I hope you pick the real game every time (if you play NBA Live 07, however, then you should officially be forced to GIVE all your gaming stuff away). But there's always a time and place for video games-- like to replace the wasted hours spent at night in front of the TV. But some people really do just naturally out grow games as they get older (especially games from past generations; sure all of us here are still playing on our SNES, but the average gamer has that in their attic somewhere and only a 360 hooked up to their TV). Just do this for yourself-- if you absolutely must sell off a large portion of your collection, at least do it in a setting where you'll get good value for it. For the average person the easiest way is eBay. Just please don't sell it off quick and easy-- i.e. pawn shop, to friends for cheap, or to some random guy all as one lot. After all the money true collectors put into their collections, I would cry if a nice set like that was just sold off to some guy for dirt cheap.

(As for me, now that I've admitted to my fellow collectors that my passion for classic gaming was reignited by Madden 07, I'll be joining you in selling off all my stuff and regaining respect in a new hobby.)
    Last edited by PSXferrari; 03-21-2007 at 12:45 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sell it to us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Sell what you don't play any more and keep what you will.

Beleave me, i've sold some systems that i've end up missing and starting over again on.

Wich adds up alot money wise.

Still if you feel you have burned out on the hobby take a break from it then.

Beside the market isn't going any where time soon for video games.

Strawberry (Level 2) bust3dstr8's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went through something similar at around your age, but this was back in '95.
    I was moving into a small studio in Boston to go to school, so I packed up all
    my games into a footlocker.
    (2600 w/ 70ish games, NES w/ 100ish games,Genesis w/ 50ish games)

The only games I took where my pc games because I figured time and space
    would be limited.
    I finished school and then worked and partied pretty hard for a few years,
    moving alot and changing jobs a few times.
    It's now 2006 and I'm renting a house with my fiance and bunch of us get into a nostalgic chat about the NES. I had total forgot about all my old goodies, just been playing pc games off and on. So, after being bit by the bug again, I went to my mom's place to dig out the foot locker, only to find my collection desimated. Every drop of NES gone, Genesis left to the console,
    a few game, and a ton of manuals on the bottom of the chest. The 2600 was pretty much all there though....surpise, surprise. Found out my younger brother loaned my shit out while I was gone.
    It's hard to describe the feeling, it was like someone had stolen a part of my childhood, my memories. It also hurt physically, as I wound up with a broken jaw and my brother now has his front tooth on a steel post, over this fiasco.
    You have a choice. Save everthing, you never know when you may be bit by the gamer bug again. Might be in four years or a bit longer like me.

They are always chatting about DP over at AtariAge, so I figured to join in on the fun. I have since regained most of my collection and a whole boatload of
    other stuff along the way......but you guys know all about that

Glad to be a part of DP
    -David-

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I personally haven't thought about selling my collection, other than doubles I find. But there comes a time where you don't have that girlfriend anymore or maybe that group of friends becomes into something that you may not want to associate yourself with. I've been out of highschool for 7 years now and the girlfriends come and go like nothing, friends become people you wouldn't think they'd become, but one of those things that helps with that kind of stuff is the games collection. The only reason I would sell my stuff is if I horribly needed the money, but even then I'd start off with the stuff I'd never play, like the rare stuff i only bought cuz it was rare kinda deal. My last gf took up a lot of my time but i still did the collecting on the side, but then that ended so I put more of my time into collecting and it makes it easier type of deal. I say just look at what gaming means to your life and what it could mean in the future, then decide whether or not that money you will make off of them will be worth it. If you already have steady income, I say box em up and hide them until you say how life goes a couple years after you get outta school.