Thread: Anyone shop for games every day or almost?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone shop for games every day or almost?

I do my game hunting during the weekends because thats when I have time to do it, and its mainly restricted to Saturday most of the time, with an occasional trip on Sunday. I feel pretty satisfied with what I've come up with in my weekly finds, but I often wonder what I'm missing out on thru the week, I mean there must be some stuff that Goodwill, and other places pick up on Monday and sell by Thursday. I don't have the time, or the resources to hunt for games every day of the week, but I was wondering if anybody at DP does, and is it worth it?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep my eyes open all the time, but on friday and saturday i get my most at garage sales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I don't usually go seek them out during the week, but if I find one I'm not going to pass it up. If I haven't been to the thrift in awhile, I might go on a weekday if I've got nothing better to do. But I don't habitually go to the thrift store or flea market habitually on the weekends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I visit a one of the 4 Gamestops in my area, and/or a Target, or one of the 3 Gamefellas EVERY day at lunch time. (I get an hour for lunch, but since I'm the boss, oh well if I take more time.)

I reserve the weekends for flea markets, pawn shops and anything else I can think of.

By the way, I have never found one thing at the 1/2 dozen thrift stores in town. (NEVER!)

I have yet to try garage sales, although I am tempted. I get the impression that it would be a waste of my time. Does anyone ever really get lucky at these?
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have yet to try garage sales, although I am tempted. I get the impression that it would be a waste of my time. Does anyone ever really get lucky at these?
    Well, not all the time, but IMO its worth it to visit garage sales. I got alot of 2600 stuff last year for cheap, and I also got a Mint in Box, complete Sega Saturn system for 10$ at garage sales, so yeah you can score. I can't talk for anyone else, but my best garage sale finds have been in the nicer parts of town, and I can honestly say that I haven't yeilded anything from a garage/yard sale in the poorer areas, so I've given up on certain neighborhoods.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are times when every day i look for deals.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i look all the time. i get to look alot while i deliver mail around town. just today while i was goofin off i mean working i came across a saturn with box and a playstation steering wheel at an exxon station. didn't get to look at either one though they were up on a shelf but the owner hooked me up before. i once stopped in there and bought a SMS with about 9 games in great shape and another system called a Rally IV (pretty old and i dont know a thing about it) for $25. i imagine i am gonna get a deal on these as well. too bad i already got a saturn. got that one delivering on a saturday(yard sales) it was in great shape as well and got 5 games, couple controllers and two guns with it $15

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes. I look for games EVERY day. I've got several thrifts in my area and most fall into a few paths I can take home from work. also have a couple Gamestops and EB Games close to work and a Family Video that occasionally sell used games. I've not scored there in a while but hit it once a week on my lunch break. just waiting for them to unload the TON of N64 games they are still renting.

here's my schedule:

MONDAY- 1 thrift on way home from work

TUESDAY- 1 thrift on way to floor hockey

WEDNESDAY- 3 thrifts on alternate way home from work (sometimes 4, there's a St. Vincent DePaul that's pretty lame but once in a while coughs up gold)

THURSDAY- Gamestop & Family Video at lunch, same thrift as MONDAY on way home.

FRIDAY- EB Games at lunch, same thrifts as WEDNESDAY on way home.

SATURDAY- 3 thrifts that are not on my path home from work and sometimes flea markets.

SUNDAY- Target, Best Buy, Circuit City or other stores with good game sales, if none have any (lately that hasn't been the case) I don't go out.

pathetic, I know. It gets tedious when I don't find anything for a while but I've found that if you want to find stuff and find it cheap you've got to be persistant. this routine has been pretty successful for me. the only day I really invest a lot of time is Saturday. I make my rounds in about 3-4 hours. My stops during the week only add about an extra half hour to my trip home from work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there anyone here like me who not only stops are thrift stores regularly, but has a path they follow inside the store for optimal searching? Like at Goodwill I will go right for any unorganized electronics, then the toys, then the tapes/records (where many Atari 2600 commons still sit at 5.99 ) then I do a quick run of the clothes and old ass TV area then out the door!.

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In Cleveland, the downtown train station is located inside a mall, so I often stop in to the Software Etc. and FYE located there. And the Dairy Queen. Small caramel sundae with pecans, please. And all your used games are belong <FOOM!!!>
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a path I follow at most stores.

I shop when money is plentiful, and tax return is here, so i'll be out till work tonight
    I am in fact the guy that made the Raisins prototype worth thousands less by dumping it. "D'oh!!"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I go to Goodwill every other Saturday because they hold a 50% off sale on this day. I visit 3 local Goodwills and I always make a beeline for the area where I know they keep the games. I would spend more time looking over the store, BUT its so darn busy and crowded that I just want to grab the games available and get the hell out of there!

den68 wrote:
    and a Family Video that occasionally sell used games. I've not scored there in a while but hit it once a week on my lunch break. just waiting for them to unload the TON of N64 games they are still renting.
    There are 3 Family Videos in my area and they have been selling alot of N64 games, and I have been capitilizing BIG TIME. They put way too many stickers on the carts though, but the Boxes are in good shape. Even got some posters too. I'm just waitin for them to put the Rush games, and the Worms Armegeddon for sale *licks chops*...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only usually go to the park and every day i check eBAY Argentina...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't go out of my way a lot,but if I am at a store or something I will make sure to look for video games.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Withthe Babagges at my local mall i check in over there least a couple times a week for anything I may want. Once every couple weeks ride the bus down to the other mall where the Funco is and scour around there.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys all live in cities WAY TOO BIG for my own good.

If I were to hit every store, goodwill, and thrift that has ever had a videogame within a 40 mile radius, it would equal appx. 10-13 places total.

This is including the 30 minute drive to manchester, which I NEVER go to because traffic is horrible (These damn new england states were all designed and built BEFORE cars were made)

So, I only go to Concord, which consists of the following:
    Goodwill - 1-2 decent finds per month
    Best buy - Sales
    Circuit City - Promo's
    Wal-Mart - Moron's
    EB - Used games, and promo's

That's it, that's EVERY SINGLE PLACE that I can go to, there are NO pawn shops within 30 miles of me. (OK, 1, but they still charge like $30 for a N64 game, and don't carry anything older than N64)

Then in the summer there are 2 flea markets within a 1 hour drive that I go to once a week.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He's right, when I moved to this small city it was a gold mine for a year and still turns up the occasional $20 2600 lot and DWIII for $3. The Flee's in the backwoods places are the only thing I hit anymore. I go to Dallas Flee's and pawns and it's collector prices.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    You guys all live in cities WAY TOO BIG for my own good.

If I were to hit every store, goodwill, and thrift that has ever had a videogame within a 40 mile radius, it would equal appx. 10-13 places total.
    Yeah, but you live near that store in Plaistow... talk about 2600 goldmine!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That guy in Plaistow has a DP guide though. He knows what his stuff is worth!

Personally, I don't have a routine. I look for games when I have time. It might be 3 or 4 times a week, or it might be once in a month.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually hit the goodwills and flea markets on the weekends, and the targets, funcos, and EB's, at least once a week. My game "budget" usually is at $20 a week, if that. =)
    Show your skillz! The Name That NES Tune contest is here! Check it out!
    http://www.classichighscores.com

The Current State of my NES Collection... Updated 3/16/03
    http://members.aol.com/rattnroll1984/nescollection.html