Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should nintendo GameCube make a Compilation nes game?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An NES disc would be sweet,and they could fit most of,if not,all of the games on one disc.But knowing Nintendo they wouldn't do that. :/

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to have to agree with Zach on this one. Size isn't so much an issue about these compilations as the legality of them. Sure, you COULD smash hundreds of Nintendo games onto one disc, but you'd never get the rights to commercially distribute them all without hemmorhaging millions and millions of dollars in the process.
    People are a little too greedy about classic game compilations. They've gotten so many ROMs from the Internet for free that they expect companies to give them dozens and dozens of old games for a ridiculously low price. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. I think six to twelve games is a reasonable amount of software to put on a compilation disc, even if those games are primitive and leave a lot of space left on the disc. That extra storage can always be used for pictures, videos, and other goodies, to help make the compilation seem more complete. Remastered versions of the same games (like in Konami Arcade Classics for the Game Boy Advance) also adds appeal to game collections, and it's something more companies should be doing.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

<shrug> I haven't bought any classic compilation, as I said, they've all sucked, or been FAR too few games for the price.

(This goes for the PS2 Anthology as well, which is VERY good from what I've heard, Even for $20 there aren't enough games on it)

I'm sure Nintendo has enough first party games to make a HUGE NES release, and I've played a lot of them emulated in animal crossing, and they were done very well, They obviously have the emulation system in place (E-cards, download from animal crossing to GBA, in animal crossing, etc...)
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very true, 'neko. We often overestimate the extent to which companies would go with compilations. I'd love for Nintendo to bundle some of the Fire Emblem games together (and maybe translate them) for a GameCube release, but that's not too likely.

When it comes to classic collections, I always seem to pine for reissues of games that no one else could possibly want to buy. I'd like Capcom to put together packages of their little-known shooters and beat-'em-ups from the mid-90s, with Varth and Eco Fighters in one set, and Alien vs. Predator, Armored Warriors, Warzard, and Battle Circuit in another. Now I think I'll just pause for a moment to let the absurdity of that desire sink in.

And I'm also disappointed that Compile never got into the classic re-issue thing after Zanac X Zanac. It'd be nice to have the whole of the Aleste library on a few PSX discs.

Edit: Has Warzard/Red Earth been emulated?
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    (This goes for the PS2 Anthology as well, which is VERY good from what I've heard, Even for $20 there aren't enough games on it)
    Dude, if you can't be convinced to shell out $20 for more than 40 classic games and a host of wonderful supplemental material, you really ARE greedy.

-- Z.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by zmeston
    So how many games does it take to make you care about a compilation? Ten? Twenty?
    I liked Activision Anthology because they included *everything*. Okay, there were maybe 3 they couldn't put on (because of legal problems), but they're all there. When a company releases only 10 at a time I feel like they're holding out on me. I'm not going to start buying 3 or 4 of these from each company.

Ten is way too few - unless that's all you've got in your library. I want everything you got baby.

Namco easily could've included all two dozen PS1 Museum games in the PS2 version, but chose to include only the most recognizable classics -- a disservice to hardcore gamers, or wisely marketing the classics that people want to play (quality, not quantity)?
    I don't see why you couldn't market the big names and yet still give quantity on one disc. In fact, quantity would be yet another selling point to market (you don't have to mention the name of the games, just that you've got over 40 Namco classics including Pac-Man!)

I think ManekiNeko is right when he says, with ROMs basically free, that people have gotten greedy. That's definitely what publishers have to fight. But it's easy to fight IMO: give us lots of games with extra features (like the patches and the 80s music). If you actually put effort into it and make the package attractive, instead of trying to pawn quick buck games on us, it'll work. I owned (and still do) every Activision ROM on my PC, plus I have a good dozen carts of my favourites for my VCS, and yet I *still* bought AA the week it was released - because it offered me something that I couldn't get otherwise. Nobody else has done that yet.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    So how many games does it take to make you care about a compilation? Ten? Twenty?
    I liked Activision Anthology because they included *everything*. Okay, there were maybe 3 they couldn't put on (because of legal problems), but they're all there. When a company releases only 10 at a time I feel like they're holding out on me. I'm not going to start buying 3 or 4 of these from each company.

Ten is way too few - unless that's all you've got in your library. I want everything you got baby.
    This brings up a fundamental question that everyone on this forum grapples with: how much is a classic game really worth? If monkeys flew out of the world's collective butt and someone released a 200-game compilation, would you pay $50 for it? $100? I think Anthology is a screaming deal at $20, since it has most of the best Atari 2600 games ever made (homebrews not included!), and I think Namco Museum is also an incredible bargain, since it has several classic coin-ops. But you'd need to pay ME to play a collection of Mythicon, Xonox, and Data Age games.

Namco easily could've included all two dozen PS1 Museum games in the PS2 version, but chose to include only the most recognizable classics -- a disservice to hardcore gamers, or wisely marketing the classics that people want to play (quality, not quantity)?
    I don't see why you couldn't market the big names and yet still give quantity on one disc. In fact, quantity would be yet another selling point to market (you don't have to mention the name of the games, just that you've got over 40 Namco classics including Pac-Man!)
    You think Namco is stiffing you by not giving you more games; I think Namco is blessing us by giving us its best games. Then again, this is a collector's forum, so the urge to have everything is no doubt overwhelming. Heh.

I think ManekiNeko is right when he says, with ROMs basically free, that people have gotten greedy. That's definitely what publishers have to fight. But it's easy to fight IMO: give us lots of games with extra features (like the patches and the 80s music). If you actually put effort into it and make the package attractive, instead of trying to pawn quick buck games on us, it'll work. I owned (and still do) every Activision ROM on my PC, plus I have a good dozen carts of my favourites for my VCS, and yet I *still* bought AA the week it was released - because it offered me something that I couldn't get otherwise. Nobody else has done that yet.
    it's very interesting you mention this, because it's the same approach that music companies are using to combat MP3 piracy -- giving consumers something beyond the basic product. I recently bought a U2 greatest-hits collection with a bonus DVD, for example.

-- Z.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

This brings up a fundamental question that everyone on this forum grapples with: how much is a classic game really worth? If monkeys flew out of the world's collective butt and someone released a 200-game compilation, would you pay $50 for it? $100?
    I won't go into worth, but I won't pay the same amount for a retro compilation that I would for a new game. They definitely need to price them below the typical new release.

The eReader games are like $5 CAD which seems reasonable to me (maybe a bit on the high side), but maybe it's the fact that it's a novelty (being a card) and I've always liked baseball cards

You think Namco is stiffing you by not giving you more games; I think Namco is blessing us by giving us its best games. Then again, this is a collector's forum, so the urge to have everything is no doubt overwhelming. Heh.
    I thought about this on my way home: the reason I don't buy compilations was the same reason I wasn't buying Simpsons episodes on VHS. They'd only give you like four episodes! Sure they might be four good episodes, but I'm not buying only four for $20. With their new strategy of releasing a season at a time (on DVD of course) I'm anxiously awaiting to purchase Season 3.

Also: would I buy a game like Mario Party if it just had the mini games but didn't incorporate them together into an overall experience? No way.

it's very interesting you mention this, because it's the same approach that music companies are using to combat MP3 piracy -- giving consumers something beyond the basic product. I recently bought a U2 greatest-hits collection with a bonus DVD, for example.
    A greatest hits CD is another good example. Would I want the latest Nirvana CD if it didn't have a track I didn't already have? No way. As it was I wasn't planning on buying it - I got it as a gift. But if it hadn't had that extra track I would've been lining up on Boxing Day waiting to exchange it - and I'm a huge Nirvana fan (I've got like 20 bootlegs and this was the one song I didn't actually have somewhere).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think a good collection for the GameCube would be "firsts" of all their succesful franchises.
    Now I use the term "their" loosely, some are by capcom, some are by konami, etc... but the NES/Super NES are what got them on their way.

Castlevania
    Contra
    Donkey Kong
    Dragon Warrior
    Final Fantasy
    Legend Of Zelda
    MegaMan
    Metroid
    Super Mario Bros.

And they could have original emulated versions, as well as beefed up, probably to the point of 32 bit era graphics/sound and such.
    As well as a horde of easter eggs like on the Activision collection for the PSX

Alex Kidd

You could argue Mario Bros. being the first in the Mario franchise, but the Mario gameplay we all know and fell in love with, was introduced in SMB.
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!