Thread: will xbla games swap to 360 elite

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default will xbla games swap to 360 elite

I just thought of something. When all the 360s were dying on people, there were many complaints of not being able to play thier xbla games offline on their new system. So that means if I wanted to upgrade to the elite, I would no longer be able to play any of my arcade games offline. I think that is something microsoft should think of for the people who want to upgrade. Yeah, i guess you could keep your old system to play the games you've downloaded, but i think a decent amount of people would want to sell thier old system to help pay for the new one, but then they'd be out whatever arcade games they've bought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I believe that they have said they will work with the transfer cable that is going to be available.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

They were telling me in Vbender last night that Microsoft keeps tracks of the games you've bught, so if you redownload they'll work again on the new system. Can anyone confirm or deny from experience?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    They were telling me in Vbender last night that Microsoft keeps tracks of the games you've bught, so if you redownload they'll work again on the new system. Can anyone confirm or deny from experience?
    XBLA games, themes, gamerpics, movies, etc. can be downloaded an infinite amount of times if you've paid for the content.

The problem here is the downloaded material can only be accessed on the original 360 that was used when you originally bought the content. If you are offline and are on a new (or different) 360, you don't have access to anything you've paid for. The only way around this is if you are logged onto Xbox Live (gold or silver memberships will both work).

All Xbox Live content is associated with not only your gamertag, but your 360's motherboard. I'm not sure what a "transfer cable" is going to do to change that. It will be nice if this huge oversight would have an actual solution.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

maybe I'm just not getting somethng, but I don't see the problem.

If you've downloaded XBL games, and those games can be accessed from any xbox provided you are logged in, why wouldn't you be able to play the arcade games?

If you can DL the games then obviously you have an internet connection, so why wouldn't you hook the elite up to the internet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I'll verify that one a new xbox the you have to be logged into live. I have 3 accounts on my machine, I bought a couple of the games with a different account. Now I can't access those games from my main account because the games were not bought under that account. I've been meaning to give MS a call as there has got to be some fix for this.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by slip81 View Post
    maybe I'm just not getting somethng, but I don't see the problem.

If you've downloaded XBL games, and those games can be accessed from any xbox provided you are logged in, why wouldn't you be able to play the arcade games?

If you can DL the games then obviously you have an internet connection, so why wouldn't you hook the elite up to the internet?
    My 360 severly bogs down my computer's internet conenction. I can't use both. So if my boyfriend's playing a 360 game I can't use the computer.

So in my situation it makes a difference. Also if the game's also tied to the gamertag, how does having multiple accounts work? Can the game only be played by the person who paid for it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

you can play all the games you've downloaded when you are online if you retrieve your gamecard or what ever its called. But if you re-download them to a different machine, and for some reason aren't online, you only get the demo versions of the game. What if you want to take your new 360 somewhere that there isn't an online connection and can't play those games. What about if they shut down the xbox live servers 15 years from now and you can't go online with it anymore...those fully paid for games will only be demos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

A few more clarifications:

Multiple gamertags (on the same 360) have full access to the XBLA games bought by one of those gamertags. They always have access to the full version if the 360 is connected to the Xbox Live.

However...

If you are not connected to Xbox Live, the gamertags who didn't buy the XBLA games will not have access to the games. They will only be available as the demo versions.

Also...

If one gamertag buys a game and later gets a new 360, they can only access the full version of the game if they're connected to Xbox Live...BUT...the other gamertags will never have access to the full version of the XBLA game (unless they download and pay for it themselves) on the new 360.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    A few more clarifications:

Multiple gamertags (on the same 360) have full access to the XBLA games bought by one of those gamertags. They always have access to the full version if the 360 is connected to the Xbox Live.

However...

If you are not connected to Xbox Live, the gamertags who didn't buy the XBLA games will not have access to the games. They will only be available as the demo versions.

Also...

If one gamertag buys a game and later gets a new 360, they can only access the full version of the game if they're connected to Xbox Live...BUT...the other gamertags will never have access to the full version of the XBLA game (unless they download and pay for it themselves) on the new 360.
    All of which is the reason you kinda get screwed if you upgrade to the Elite...you will always have to be online to play the full versions of XBLA games, if MS ever does away with live, you will be forever stuck with demos you paid $5-$10 for.