Thread: PS2 - Sega Classics Collection...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 - Sega Classics Collection...

Reading the sub-par reviews here and some other places did not stop me from picking this title up. I am a huge Sega fan, as well as a complete compilation whore I purchased on ebay (since this compilation is darn near impossible to find anywhere by me), and it arrived today.

Not too bad really. Of course not anything for the purist, but at the same time, it is kind of refreshing to see the games in a new way. I own (or have owned) all of these games on multiple platforms, and different is always welcome in my book. Fantasy Zone is easily the best game in the compilation. VERY close to the arcade version, with the graphic updates actually surpassing that version somewhat.

I do have a question tho. I read in some of the reviews that "Golden Axe" looks pixelated. I see no pixelation here...it actually looks pretty good. I am running this on a PS3. Is the PS3 updating the graphics somehow? On a flipside, I also purchased the original Ridge Racer (PS1) and the graphics on this running on the PS3 seem to look WORSE than I remember them on the original system. If the PS3 is doing something to the graphics for PS2 games, why is it not for PS1 games? Or am I just imagining everything?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I loved the redone Space Harrier, myself.

Alien Syndrome was pretty good too. If this is any indication, the revival of that series will kick a lot of ass.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    I loved the redone Space Harrier, myself.

Alien Syndrome was pretty good too. If this is any indication, the revival of that series will kick a lot of ass.
    Yeah, I was also going to mention Space Harrier. I used to look at different versions over console and computer, and up until now I thought that the Amiga version was the kill all version. I think I like this version better than the Amiga version now.

As for Alien Syndrome, not sure. Graphically is looks great, but I think what is swaying me away is the fact that it takes multiple shots to kill the level enemies. I am just used to shooting those buggers once and hearing the familiar "squish/splat" noise. Seems with the multiple shots needed, I am quickly overwhelmed with these enemies. Maybe I have to play it more.

Can't wait to show my brother these remasters. He is just as big a fan these classics as I am, if not more. Glad I got this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved the revamped Columns, Outrun, Virtua Racing, and Space Harrier games. Those recreations turning out so well (and in th case of Columns, I enjoyed it far more than the original) make me glad to have picked this up and not just listened to the reviews that knocked it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of the reviews I read are funny. I mean, it is like they are being reviewed as modern day games and thus getting low scores. The reviewer must understand that these are simply classic titles, revamped graphically and updated sound/music. The reviews suggest that the gameplay is simple, and does not entertain long. I wonder how long it will be before I read a modern day review giving "Pac-Man" a 1 or 2...geeze...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The revamped graphics were a nice touch, in my honest opinion. And it didn't effect the familiar gameplay at all. I was surprised to find it at my town's CVS for $20. Naturally, I picked it up.
    Gimmie a game, I'll either love it, or pimp-smack it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought it for Virtua Racing, thought it was the best home version. The other games are nice nostalgic things to mess round with too. I never liked Golden Axe much anyway, too boring and slow for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aside from the lousy Golden Axe port, I quite enjoyed this collection. I got plenty of use from Outrun and Virtua Racing, that's for sure. Can't imagine why they didn't include the conversion of After Burner 2, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Three-P View Post
    The revamped graphics were a nice touch, in my honest opinion. And it didn't effect the familiar gameplay at all. I was surprised to find it at my town's CVS for $20. Naturally, I picked it up.

Heh, I am a store manager of a CVS. All they ever sent us was "The Matrix"..bah!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also can't imagine why SEGA didn't include the remakes of After Burner 2 and Gain Ground (both released separately in JPN). Both games should fit on the same disc as the other 10 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought it for Outrun when it was released and haven't regretted it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    The reviewer must understand that these are simply classic titles, revamped graphically and updated sound/music.
    I personally think the reader has to understand that ratings have to reflect how the whole package is received in context with everything else they can buy, and isn't a reflection of how the game was perceived when it was brand new.

It's now new anymore, nor does it deserve the same score as it might've received previously. I love older games, but if someone is selling me something I've already played, I'm not going to think much of it the second time around except that it's a money grab.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end