Thread: For Opcode; A Question...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default For Opcode; A Question...

In the "Supergame Module" post, the question of 32K and Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Junior kept coming up.

If limited to the normal 32K ROM (no extra RAM, etc.), and you only had to put Donkey Kong on the cartridge, how much could be put in? Could all 4 screens, with all of the gaming elements (e.g. Springs in the Elevator Screen, Fireballs in the Barrels Screen) be fitted in? Would anything be "left over?"

What about Donkey Kong Junior?

Most accounts say that the original versions only used 16K ROM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Aswald!

The original DK arcade uses exactly 32KB. So no problem here. But there is 4KB of RAM in the arcade version and the CV has just 1KB. I still think 1KB should be enough but maybe something get lost in the convertion process...
    DKJr is a little more complicated, as it uses more than 32KB.
    If you ask me, I am expecting DK Collection will use an 128KB EPROM together an extra 4KB RAM.

Eduardo Mello
    Eduardo Mello
    [url]www.opcodegames.com[/url]
    Opcode Games - Bringing new life to your ColecoVision
    Currently working on Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Arcade, Knightmare, Goonies and many others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

So, if one leaves out the attract modes and intermissions (except for the sort of "intermission" Coleco used in Donkey Kong Junior) the entire game itself could be fit in? Pity Coleco didn't do that in 1982.

128K? I'm afraid I don't understand that, if Donkey Kong only uses 32K ROM- is it because the arcade Donkey Kong and the ColecoVision are like 2 different computers (emulation?)? A lack of collision detection? I need to learn these things if I'm ever going to have any chance of programming anything for the ColecoVision. The only reason a ColecoVision version of Tunelayer exists is because newcoleco ported it over from the Vic-20 hardcopy I sent him.

Looking forward to purchasing a copy of the Donkey Kong Collection! Cartridge versions of your Space Invaders Collection will be available at the CGE 2003?

Thanks!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Asward!

DK Collection will include both DK and DKJr, so the need for 128KB. Maybe it isn't going to take the entire 128KB, but surely it will need more than 64KB, so 128KB is the next available EPROM size. It's a good thing to have some extra space as I can stuff some extras there.

You can bet you will find copies of SIC at CGE2003. DP will be distributing it there. Also, if you are going to PC4, check DP booth and play SIC.

Eduardo Mello
    Eduardo Mello
    Currently working on Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Arcade, Knightmare, Goonies and many others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Hello, Opcode!

Is bank-switching used for such a thing?

Any prototype screens yet?

If I have the money I'll try to pre-order Space Invaders, but first- newcoleco's Bejeweled! If I can just get that %&@#%! car running properly, it'll be great...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Asward!

Yep, it will need bank-switching, as will Pac-Man Collection...

Indeed I have some screen shots, but I don't want to show it right now. I am still working on it, but my focus now is to polish SIC a little more and have it completely ready to CGE2003, and to finish Pac-Man Collection after it.
    Anyway, again, if you going to PC4 you can bet you will see a short preview of DKC there.
    And don't worry, SIC isn't limited edition, so there will be a copy waiting for you when you are ready.

Eduardo Mello
    Eduardo Mello