Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Your greatest sports game bloopers and blunders

Most people here who enjoy sports have seen numerous videos or programs highlighting some of the best known bloopers and blunders in sports history. This might include:

-Bill Buckner's ground ball in 1986.
    -A home run ball bouncing off of Jose Canseco's head.
    -Trot Nixon tossing a flyball into the stands with runners on base and less than two out.
    -Manny Ramirez going for a flyball only to fall down and end up sitting on it like an egg.
    -Dan Orlovsky running out of the back of the endzone for a safety.
    -Leon Lett going after a missed field goal, only to slip on the ice and lose control of the ball allowing the other team to get possession.
    -Leon Lett heading for the end zone only to slow down, showboat and allow a player from the other team to knock the ball out of his hand.
    -DeSean Jackson tossing the ball away just inches from the endzone and a surefire touchdown.
    -Somebody running into the wrong endzone in a football game.
    -Somebody who shoots the puck or soccer ball into their own goal.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to see what bloopers or blunders you have made while playing a sports game. This can include any console from any era. To me, it doesn't make any difference if the blunder is the result of your own mistake, pure bad luck (since fumbles happen at random in most video football games) or cheap AI by the computer. It also doesn't matter if it cost you that particular game.

I'm interested in hearing the replies and hope to get a decent response (I'm not sure how this type of thread will go over).

I'll kick things off with my own replies, here is my own top 10 and it is in no particular order. Some of these are pretty painful for me to remember

10. NFL 2K3 for Xbox:
    -Running my fullback on three consecutive plays to burn up the clock late in the game, only to have him fumble. (My #1 and #2 RB's had both went down with injuries in the same game) The opposing team recovered the fumble and actually returned it for a touchdown. That particular play cost me the game.

9. NFL Fever 2003 for Xbox:
    -Wanting to pad my passing stats, I continued throwing late in the game (under 2 minutes left) with a 14 point lead and Aaron Brooks at quarterback only to have him toss an interception which got returned for a touchdown. It was a good thing I recovered the onside kick because that touchdown had pulled the opposing team within 7 points of my lead.

8. World Series Baseball for Genesis:
    -Using one of the Atlanta Braves relief pitchers, I threw John Olerud of the Blue Jays a hanging curveball with two men on in the 9th inning of a World Series game only to have him smash a 480 foot home run. I was ahead by two runs before the pitch and ended up losing that particular game because of it, though I did eventually win the World Series. In this case, I meant to throw a high inside fastball but accidentally pushed the button for "Curve."

7. Play Action Football for NES:
    -I once intercepted a pass in this game only to run it into the wrong endzone. The computer controlled guy who made the interception was facing the opposite direction of his teammates, so when I automatically gained control of him I ended up running the same way he was already headed. In my defense, anybody who has played this game knows the field view is CRAP and you can only see a few yards ahead of you.

6. NHL 2002 for Xbox:
    -I once shot a puck into my own goal near the end of a tie game in which the computer and I had both pulled our goalies. During a brief checking skirmish, I lost track of which end of the rink I was supposed to attack. That play ended up costing me that particular game.

5. Madden 2005 for Gamecube:
    -Playing against a good friend, I did a Quarterback Draw on a 4th and 1 from the 50 yard line. The point of me doing it was to surprise him with the last play he'd ever expect (he counted on a QB Sneak or a handoff to the running back). I gained 12 yards on the quarterback's run only to have my friend's cornerback hit me. Not only did the ball come loose but my quarterback was injured for the remainder of the game. The fumble only led to a field goal and it occured in the second quarter. However, I did end up losing that particular game by three points. You do the math.

4. NCAA College Football 2K3 for Xbox:
    -Backed up to the one yard line, my junior year quarterback ran out of the back of the endzone for a safety. This was just days after Dan Orlovsky had done it during the NFL season. Right before I snapped the ball, I had that very same play of Orlovsky's running through my mind about 60 miles an hour. I was worrying that it could happen to me if I wasn't careful. Lo and behold it did, as I was scrambling to avoid a blitz. So I'm sure the external factors surrounding this moment had a lot to do with it. If I hadn't been thinking about Orlovsky, it probably never would have happened in my game.

3. NBA Live 2002 for Xbox:
    -In a game where I was ahead by one point with 16 seconds to go, I screwed up and ran out of bounds to avoid an intentional foul from the opposing team. The other team gained control of the ball and promptly hit a 3 pointer (after eating up most of the clock). I happened to be controlling my center, who was one of the worst foul shooters in the game but it was still an embarrassing mistake that did cost me the game.

2. NFL 2K2 for Playstation 2:
    -Calling a "Prevent" defense when I had the computer at 4th and 12 late in a game which I was leading 14 to 13 with 48 seconds to go. The computer had already made up its mind to go for it on 4th down. The result was a quarterback draw which gained 13 yards and a stunning first down. The defender I was controlling was about 25 yards downfield, in no position to reach the running quarterback. Even if I could have gotten him in time, the running play caught me SO off guard that I basically "froze" with the controller in my hand like a complete jackass. This play led to a timeout by the computer. One pass play later and they were in position to hit a game winning field goal.

1. NHL 2002 for Xbox:
    -Nearing the end of overtime, both the computer and I had pulled our goalies to go for the win. A few seconds later, somebody on my team was called for a penalty and got put in the box. Even though I was now a man short, I never bothered putting my goalie back in the net and settling for the tie. Next thing you know, a computer player scored on me and that was that.

Dishonorable Mention:
    -I have hit into dozens of double and triple plays in video baseball games because my guys never "tag up" on time after a flyball or line drive.

With that said, if any of you have similar stories to share (even one or two), I'd love to hear some.
    Last edited by bangtango; 01-13-2009 at 11:32 PM.