Note: This is a spoiler for FFVI

Back when I was a kid I would play final fantasy 6. Of course I still play it from time to time but back then it was me and my older brother. Each with his own save file.

My brother would hog the nintendo most of the time and would be very thorough as he went through the world. He drew charts and lists (a hobby he keeps to this day) to get as much juice as possible out of his characters. He thus maximised the character "Shadow" who was a shared favourite of ours.

It made him quite upset when he had to leave Shadow behind in the sky. Just before the world came crumbling to pieces... and when I later reached that place I stubbornly stood behind and waited for Shadow to arrive. My brother was taunting me how I was going to get -EVERYONE- killed and that he was much further ahead in the game than me.
He did this with sadistic glee.. but it quickly disappeared as Shadow came running in the final seconds and the entire party made a clean get-away.

The result was that he restarted his game and while his maxed-out characters eventually would fly through the later part of the game like a breeze .. and my merry band would be set back every step of the way and end every boss fight on the brink of death and game over .. I beat the game before he did.
It is my personal videogame equivalent of the turtle and hare story.