I have a query, which I'm pretty sure only applies to PAL Dreamcasts.

My two televisions at home always have problems receving the 60Hz signal from my Dreamcast. When on 60Hz mode, the top area of the TV display always flashes brightly (even more so on some games). I figured that, despite accepting Xbox, PS2 and GCN 60Hz signals without problems, that the DC's 60Hz signal was slightly different, and as such, were not fully compatible. This was confirmed when I took this Dreamcast to my friend's place, who has a much newer television - and his TV had no problems with the DC's 60Hz mode.

I resigned myself to the fact that until I get a newer TV, my DC will have to run in 50Hz crappiness.

Until recently - I bought another Dreamcast, this time a much newer model. After having it for a few days, I decided to see if my TV's still did the same thing with this DC. Amazingly - the TV worked perfectly! The 60Hz signal displayed exactly the way it should - not flashing, just clear and crisp.

In conclusion, I have deduced that either;

1. Earlier model PAL Dreamcast's had less widely compatible 60Hz signals

or

2. There is something wrong with my earlier Dreamcast.

I'm leaning towards deduction no.1 - but, any help you guys can give will be appreciated.