Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NWC gold cart on ebay BIN $8000

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this cart has been shown too much on Ebay this year. If you really want to get the best possible price for an uber-rare cart wait atleast a year until the last one has been sold. The worst thing you can do is relist the same game over and over again. By listing the same game 3 times now,you have created the impression that there are actually more games than their actually are. The more something changes hands the more their is a perception that it is not all that valuable or rare. The funny thing is I actually believe that this game will be worth over 1 million dollars within the next 15 years. It just has to get a measure of some stability to it before this happens. Right now they are in the hands of too many sellers. With any extremly rare item, eventually the sellers sell to the collectors who are not in the market to sell for a very long time or until they die and their children either put it on Ebay or keep it as a Momento. When this happens it will create a demand that will be impossible to imagine.
    yep yep

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt it will get anywhere near 1 million dollars. It might hit 100K one of these days, but the thing is at 1,000,000, EVERYONE would sell theirs in a heartbeat. It's not like it is in the hands of any collectors with crazy money yet who would turn town that much cash.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by udisi View Post
    It wasn't a crock of shit, aparently I should have taken the 12.5k deal that was done. oh well.
    I heard Kamino has been dating a supermodel for years too. You can't meet her as she's from Canada. She LIKES NES too.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too think it showed up too much this year...7 times now if I count right 3 of those being mine. Before this year it had been 3 years since one had popped up. I highly doubt one will go for a Mil Ever. Video Games are not like coins or stamps, the collector demograpic is very different. I'd be surprised if it ever hit 100k either, but I could see 20k-30k maybe at some point.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Quoted for emphasis. Please Lord do not send an MO. You're asking to be scammed. You can't get a refund. You can make an attempt, but it's not highly successful I've heard. In fact I once heard a post office worker say out right "If you're screwed sorry, there's no chance of getting a refund."
    Poastal Money order, sent via the USPS is safer then paypal. So far, Paypal has NEVER recovered funds for me. On the other hand, the USPS takes postal fraud very seriously and has investigators who will track down the scammer and send them to jail for felony postal fraud. Just the threat of this tends to make people caugh up the goods or refund your mony pretty quick.

What has paypal done for you?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So does anyone know who the owner actually is? I'm at work, so I can't cross referenc eit with my pics at home of the known carts.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by udisi View Post
    I too think it showed up too much this year...7 times now if I count right 3 of those being mine. Before this year it had been 3 years since one had popped up. I highly doubt one will go for a Mil Ever. Video Games are not like coins or stamps, the collector demograpic is very different. I'd be surprised if it ever hit 100k either, but I could see 20k-30k maybe at some point.
    See, you proved my point on this. How much was this cart going for 3 years ago? Probably a lot less than even the last one sold for. This is what happened.
    Three years pass and someone finally breaks down and sells it. All of the sudden people look and say "This cart is actually worth this much now?!" and some dump their carts and try to sell it at that price. But because of a flood of Gold carts the price goes down somewhat, in this case $7500. Soon the flury of selling carts well settle down. Probably after you sell yours udisi. Then another 3 to 4 years will pass again without it being sold with demand at an all time high someone will break down and sell theirs and make even more of an outragous profit. And again the same thing will happen with a flurry of carts being sold. But this time probably more like 3 or 4 being sold in a year. The next thing you know after 15 years the cart is worth 1 million dollars. Of course I could be wrong, only time will tell.
    yep yep

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, Money Order is actually safer believe it or not. PayPal is out to screw you in every way imaginable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Yes, Money Order is actually safer believe it or not. PayPal is out to screw you in every way imaginable.
    Only if you are seller. As a buyer Paypal with cc is the way to go.

Insert Coin (Level 0) shawnb1824's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Currently up to $5000 and the reserve is met.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, the seller posted about 8 or 9 more pics... Though I doubt it's going to end for $8000, it should fetch at least $6800, possibly $7500...
    World's greatest Internet game store: http://blastedmachines.com

Also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/BlastedMachinesTechShop

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megamaniaman View Post
    See, you proved my point on this. How much was this cart going for 3 years ago? Probably a lot less than even the last one sold for. This is what happened.
    Three years pass and someone finally breaks down and sells it. All of the sudden people look and say "This cart is actually worth this much now?!" and some dump their carts and try to sell it at that price. But because of a flood of Gold carts the price goes down somewhat, in this case $7500. Soon the flury of selling carts well settle down. Probably after you sell yours udisi. Then another 3 to 4 years will pass again without it being sold with demand at an all time high someone will break down and sell theirs and make even more of an outragous profit. And again the same thing will happen with a flurry of carts being sold. But this time probably more like 3 or 4 being sold in a year. The next thing you know after 15 years the cart is worth 1 million dollars. Of course I could be wrong, only time will tell.
    Sure, that's how things go up...... but there is a lot of real estate between 7500 and 1mil.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how serious is the eprom issue, anyway? I don't know a lot about this stuff. Sometimes I think about stepping up to the plate on a gold or even grey nwc and but then I think....... will it be worth anything if it stops being playable? Jason?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well bit rot is very real, but in my own experiance I found the fear to out weigh the fact. You can leave an eeprom out in direct sunlight for days and it could still play perfectly, I wouldn't advise it because it could corrupt it but I'm of the belief that if you treat them with care , that they should last longer than you think. Also the base code for the game has been dumped, so if by some chance your cart does get corrupted you could reburn the eeproms and it'd be good as new again.

Now eeproms are also suppose to slowly deteriate over time. I personally have never had an eprom go dead on me , but people who deal in a lot of prototypes and such have definitly had it happen. Then again there are atari prototypes from 1981 of there that are doing just fine.

I don't think anyone has a whole yes or no type answer to the eprom question. I yet to hear of a dead 1990 cart yet now 16 years later, does that mean they'll never die, no. Does it mean they'll all be dead in 10 years, no.
    Really the only answer I can give you is that they contain a chip that is sensitive to UV light and that has show it can deteriate over time....If ya wanna worry about that, Most data, flash, CD, etc data can and will deteriate over time. Hard drive are nothing but magnitized particals, and can be corrupted just as easily.

I think people worry about eproms cause they were never intended to be a perminate storage system. Then again neither are most of our storage systems. I'd be more worried about a CD-R/DVD-R than an eprom.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Someone asked how many of these are now known. These last two that appeared online makes it 10. There's one by a Norweigian collector that I don't have pics for, though. I requested better pics from the winners of these two auctions to confirm, but I know one of them had not been posted before. If I can confirm the other one, then 10. Only gotta find 16 more...sigh. Well, beats the 70 something more greys I've gotta find (actually, my understanding is that 300-500 were made, according to some show organizers, but the amount isn't totally firm).

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    That whole 12K to 15K was a crock of shit apparently.
    It went for $5100. I find this hilarious. Must be all those "anonymous" buyers changed their minds.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$5100 is less than I sold one of mine for 5 years ago!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

never seen this game, which games come in that catridge?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sensei View Post
    It went for $5100. I find this hilarious. Must be all those "anonymous" buyers changed their minds.
    Talk is cheap. Age old saying but so true.

I'm really happy happy for michiganfan - he must have felt like I did when I won the stadium events for 1500 less than I would have paid. It's REALLY nice to figure you're going to have to pay through the nose and then unexpectedly getting off (relatively) easy. He saved 2500 just like that over his bid on the previous copy.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    $5100 is less than I sold one of mine for 5 years ago!
    Well, before you jump off a bridge if the auction had been paypal friendly and/or had time payments the price would have been higher.

All cash is a big problem for people when you get into four or five figures.

5100 is definitely lower than I expected though.
    Last edited by Bronty-2; 12-15-2006 at 01:21 PM.