Thread: SNES screen is bouncing/jumping constantly

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES screen is bouncing/jumping constantly

Hello, i got a cheap snes today, but to my discontent there is something wrong with it.

Its a classic problem with the picture bouncing fast up and down when i turn the system on. I remember in the past that just blowing in the cart and the console usualy helped, but that didnt help. I tried cleaning the pins with a soft cotton tissue - no improvement, i tried some steelpolish - no improvement. The Pins doesnt look very dirty at all though.

I got SMW working about 15-20% of the time without any bounce though, but thats the only game, ive tried about 10 games tons of times with result including a converter.

Ive tried switching av cables also, also with a scart cable. I first thought i might have been the tv, i have a samsung LE-37M86bdx, but since smw works *sometimes* i excluded that option.

The guy i bought it from insists he had no problems with it, and had tested it before selling it.....

Anyone got a suggestion?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

First off, I'd stop "blowing" in your cartridges altogether.

The only reason that that's effective "in a pinch" in getting your games to pop on the screen is because no matter how you do it (I've seen people say that they hold their shirt over the cartridge while they do it to minimize moisture ... which it doesn't), you're effectively spitting onto the contacts.

Moisture + bacteria + copper pins = immediate results and long term destruction, corrosion, and complete game system failure.

Keep water and moisture away from your game cartridge contacts. Use a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a cleaning pad that won't "shred" (I'd stay away from Q-tips) to start ... and then try something like professional grade steel/metal polish or some users have suggested 60% alcohol 20% WD 40 solutions.

Bottom line, don't blow.

Second, a rapidly bouncing image on a TV screen - in my experience is usually (but not always) a sign of a manufacturing incompatibility between game system and television set. I've seen it happen a LOT with original Playstation 1 units and Zenith sets. (Sony even admitted that there was a problem and would provide a mail-in modification service free of charge back in the day.)

Try using the system on a different television set, and check to see if the TV brands are different. If the problem "follows" from set to set, it's likely something with the internal video output on the SNES ... and there are a lot of users here who may be able to advise in that department (I'm not much of the electrician/engineer in that respect).

Also, swap RF adapters, or try hooking it up with a set of SNES / N64 / Gamecube AV cables.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well it appears to be the tv, i tried it on an old crt prosonic screen and it worked fine.

Sucks though, that a brand new high quality LCD screen cant use it. I find it really strange though how i can get super mario world going normaly with no bouncing, but no other games seems to work.

Oh well, guess i shouldnt have thrown out my old crt screen after all

Anyways, thanks for the reply, now i just hope i didnt fuck up my machine with that steel polish stuff and the water i used to try and clean the SNES with , though it didnt seem to have taken damage when i tried it just now...

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I don't think you've damaged anything.

SNES'es are notorious for being able to take a hell of a lot more abuse than the old toaster NES'es.

Just don't blow in your games!