Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Trade-Ins [DP Store]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had multiple choices to pick up Gradius V complete for really, really cheap. I used to see it all over the place. Maybe I should've jumped when I had the chance.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Prior to Funcoland being bought out by Software Etc. (Barnes & Noble Inc.) we would always REQUIRE a valid driver's license for trade-ins.

It never ever freaking ceased to amaze me how many people (parents, with kids even) would have trade-ins, and when I asked them for a drivers license, they told me, "Sorry I don't have one." or "sorry, no. It was suspended." and I would quickly respond, not giving them a chance to come up with anything other than an honest response ... "Did you drive here?"

and nine times out of ten they would say "Yes."

OR, sometimes they would hand me a NJ State Boat license ... which is also distributed by the DMV ... and when I would say "Sorry, this is your BOAT license, I need to see your driver's license." they would give me the same "Sorry, don't have one." routine.

Now, I understand some people fall on hard times, and shit happens, and people still need to live their lives and go about their business (especially if they have kids) even if it means risking arrest for driving without a license ... but with the BOAT LICENSE people ...

... I always wonder if when these people went to the DMV after getting their drivers license revoked and got their boat license issued to them in the hopes that if they would get pulled over by the police they could hand them the boating license and hope that the cop wouldn't notice what it was.
    Ermm, isn't the reason people ask for licenses to confirm their adulthood?
    I mean its pretty stupid, "You have to be a registered driver to sell/trade in games." Whats driving got to do with it? What if you use public transport?

I realize you didnt make the rules for funcoland, but surely you must have an idea of why such a rule exists. ( I guess depending how long you worked there).

If I were to shop at a place with such a rule that isn't properly justified, Id be less inclined to shop there. Even if I did fit the criteria.

Edit: Sorry, OT.
    Last edited by SeverThe7th; 02-11-2008 at 04:50 AM. Reason: EDIT: See above

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wouldnt some other ID suffice for trade-ins? I'm 22 and I don't have a license or any intention of getting one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

In this case, the license isn't serving to confirm your adulthood, its confirming your identity. This is infinitely helpful in combating fraud and theft.

See: Pawn Shops.

Now not every store is going to go through the trouble of carding every trade in. After all, I'd imagine that nearly every game store in the country has unaccompanied minors trying to trade in games on a daily basis. That's the nature of the hobby. The question becomes if the store owner(s) want to take on the risk of accepting property without securing identification.

In most cases its a non-issue, but the one in 20 could come back to bite you. On the other hand, you're actively passing up on stock and, thus, profit. Tricky road to hoe.

On another note, Is the backlash against drivers licenses some sort of paranoia thing? I don't really understand.

If you're 18+ and don't know how to drive, you can at least go and get a non-drivers license at the DMV for exactly these sorts of things.

I'm all for "those who would trade freedom for protection deserve neither", but let's be realistic here...
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually have an ID card from the DMV already, I just recall that some places are hard-assed about drivers licenses.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Not much to report today, so we'll do the most interesting of the non-contenders in the less-than-stellar unbolded and uncommented text.

Nintendo DS System (loose), white, good condition.
    Nintendo DS Dementium (complete).
    Nintendo DS Call of Duty 4 (complete), funny until Assassin's Creed came out.
    XBox 360 Mass Effect Special Edition (complete).

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by SeverThe7th View Post
    Ermm, isn't the reason people ask for licenses to confirm their adulthood?
    I mean its pretty stupid, "You have to be a registered driver to sell/trade in games." Whats driving got to do with it? What if you use public transport?

I realize you didnt make the rules for funcoland, but surely you must have an idea of why such a rule exists. ( I guess depending how long you worked there).

If I were to shop at a place with such a rule that isn't properly justified, Id be less inclined to shop there. Even if I did fit the criteria.

Edit: Sorry, OT.
    The reason why Funcoland (keep in mind, it was a different company in terms of ownership when I was there than it is now) required all customers who wanted to do a trade-in to have a driver's license was, to my understanding, so they could have a verifiable database of easily trackable information for local authorities to reference in the event that they were trading in stolen merchandise.

While I was there we provided local authorities (by their request) information several times up to and including drivers license info in conjunction with investigations on stolen merchandise.

Companies that take trade-ins (and pay out cash) on merchandise need to have some type of verifiable, trackable information to at the very least keep themselves from taking legal responsibility for abetting thieves.

I have no idea if state issued ID cards are tied into a trackable database that local law enforcement can reference ... but I know that divers licences are nationwide.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 02-11-2008 at 09:23 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Help! My thread has been jacked!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    Sorry Joe!

People ask questions ... I answer!

Of course, my intention in this thread is always actually to SEE the daily trade-ins!

If only I weren't so damned anecdotal.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 02-11-2008 at 09:33 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    You should contact one of the moderators/admins of the forum. They're fairly helpful, or so i've heard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    You should contact one of the moderators/admins of the forum. They're fairly helpful, or so i've heard.
    No, he needs to call DP Industries. When he shows up, someone always pays.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

In my store you must have a valid drivers license or state ID to trade in stuff, no exceptions. I have to keep your license number and information on file along with any serial numbers from any system.

The best thing we had traded in was Boogie for wii w/ mic. and Guitar Hero 3 for PS2 mint in box(no stickers on the guitar too)

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Any chance any of those saturn imports were Suchie Pai games? If you still have em around that is. If so I may be interested if I don't have the specific ones yet.

Do you have trouble moving import games? I usually ask independant small stores if they have anything import and usually they tell me that they stopped taking them because they'd never sell.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Any chance any of those saturn imports were Suchie Pai games? If you still have em around that is. If so I may be interested if I don't have the specific ones yet.
    Negative on that.

Do you have trouble moving import games? I usually ask independant small stores if they have anything import and usually they tell me that they stopped taking them because they'd never sell.
    Like domestic games - good titles move fast, fringe stuff moves slowly, waiting for that completist or import nut to clean up.

TODAY:
    PSP "Darth Vader" White System (loose) - still feels weird calling the Darth version of the PSP the white system, but there you have it.

Both today and yesterday were pretty light on trade-ins in general. We did score a pile of strat guides, many of which are RPG's. I've discovered that older RPG's (maybe "used" RPG's is a better term) packaged with the strategy guide moves very well here so I've been more diligent about pairing them up when I can.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Big sales day, average trade-in day, but nothing spectacular.

PS2 Xenosaga Trilogy (complete) - no, it wasn't actually packaged as a trilogy, but the person who traded them in traded in all three of the PS2 games. Sets are nice.

PS2 .hack GU Trilogy (complete) - see above, yep, same guy.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

.hack GU?
    they made another game series on PS2?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    .hack GU?
    Incredible, isn't it?

Then again, they're on the second series of Dragonball Z and there still isn't a single game in that series that I enjoy playing.

Sometimes the popularity of the anime is enough to sell a game. To me, who has no idea what the anime is like beyond the one or two casual glimpses I've had of these series, I thing the games just suck. Sequels to the suck are simply baffling.

To each their own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hell, I like anime, and I know 90% of anime games suck. They're made with the same mentality as movie license games. The developers know that the brand name will move more copies than making a quality game. And they do sell. There are people who will buy and praise to Hell every DBZ game there is, no matter bad it is.

Don't let that give you a negative opinion of the shows themselves though necessarily.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    .hack GU?
    Is this in addition to the four .hack games I know about on the PS2 (cos Kris just sold her set of them on eBay for a good amount)?
    Last edited by Mayhem; 02-16-2008 at 08:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Is this in addition to the four .hack games I know about on the PS2 (cos Kris just sold her set of them on eBay for a good amount)?

Yeah, they had .hack 1-4 (infection, mutation, outbreak, quarantine), and now they have .hack GU vol 1-3 (dunno the names). I would assume this is going to be a four part series as well. And you're right, even though the original four are solidly "meh" they sell for quite a bit as a set. I sold one for $130 last fall.