Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Surface - the possible savior of the arcade?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    I'm confused why anyone would think this could be the savior of arcades. Last I knew, people weren't going to arcades because they didn't like the exterior designs of the upright cabinets and cocktails...
    Psst...this ain't about the exterior design...

We actually have something like this at work right now running a DNA matching game. You just touch the screen, and move the bits around to try and complete a DNA string.

It's quite fun, and the kids love it. I can definitely see some amazing uses for this kind of technology. And it might even play some games too.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they already have something similar to this playing games at some malls... it's a mat on the floor, and you play the games by touching it with your feet...
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Of course, all the anti-microsoft flamers are going to find "faults" in this idea, but even they can't deny the fact that this will bring MANY new opprotunities to business, productivity, and gaming.
    I'm no partisan, but Microsoft has a long and storied history of pushing out product ideas as coming software so the industry analysts will tell people to "just wait for the Microsoft version" and starve the competition of sales. I'll let that one drop for the sanity of everybody here, but seriously, bringing up "anti-microsoft flamers" is tantamount to admitting there's truth to the faults people have found over the years with Microsoft. I wouldn't even bring it up.

More germane to the big story for gamers: Convenience. I've already got this thing called a DS, and while the screen is not as good, it's also portable and convenient.

Did we all forget that arcades died because people could get roughly the same (and sometimes better) experience at home (more convenient)?

It's multi-touch, so what? That's a nice improvement over previous touchscreens, but other people have had products. Microsoft's big chance is to leverage great software to use it - no Oberon Games-developed stuff, even if it's got Vista-level graphics, will sell this system. If Microsoft's really itching to fight another battle for software supremacy, well, I say go get 'em. Wouldn't mind shaking up the arcades a bit, but people are going to come back with hate in their veins if Microsoft tries to Halloween companies like Konami and Capcom.

Call me again when the screen is made of paper and the logic board is nearly as thin
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 02-28-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

thats not eh savior of arcade games, honestly it doesent show any games and i am wondering how its getting the info off of all those things, the cards i understand theyre RFID chips but are the zune and the digital camera capable of the same thing mabe blue tooth but upgraded to be not so slow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    thats not eh savior of arcade games, honestly it doesent show any games and i am wondering how its getting the info off of all those things, the cards i understand theyre RFID chips but are the zune and the digital camera capable of the same thing mabe blue tooth but upgraded to be not so slow
    Actually, I bumped this topic... It's quite old.

Read my post a few up....... Carbonated Games saw potential in this thing, and made a game where you catch Firefly's, and put 'em in a jar.

Video included with the link.

It's not the greatest game, but it shows there could be a game market for these, given the right ideas...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

'This Table has performed an illegal operation, and will shut down/collapse/implode...'

Can't wait.