Thread: Quick Queston on rarity scores...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Quick Queston on rarity scores...

OK, I realize that the rarity scores are completely subjective, and are relative to ALL game systems, not just one single system. But I would like a little clarification on rarity in regards to the NES section. Under the "Non-Cart" subset, you have a standard NES controller listed as an R1. No problem there. But then, the NES Max Controller and the NES Advantage controllers are both also listed as R1.

I understand that that these two controller types are not exactly rare, and are quite common. However, the numbers for the Max and the Advantage HAVE to be significantly lower than the regular NES controllers, as there were presumably two regular NES controllers for every system produced (as well as additional controllers manufactured for sale separately). Nowhere NEAR that number were produced for the Max or the Advantage.

My main question in all of this... is there some rarity system that can reflect these type of differences in production like this? I'm not necessarily lobbying for the Max and Advantage to be listed higher in their rarity or price (its not like I'm sitting on a giant cache of them waiting to become a millionaire), but I think its a significant enough difference in production levels that it be reflected SOMEHOW in the guide.

One more thing... I think this guide is GREAT! Definitely a strong effort, and very informative!! So far its one of the best I've come across (rarity issue aside).
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoy the book.

Keep in mind that a "1" rarity covers a broad range of stuff. You're right in that an NES controller should have at least twice as many made as a MAX, but that doesn't mean the MAX is any harder to find. We do try to scale things based on the universe and not against other particular items within that same system's listings. So to us, a "1" is something we stumble over quite often and are probably just plain sick of seeing

Hope this helps explain things a bit. And I'm not saying that there isn't room to "nudge" things up or down a number. You'd be surprised at how many differences of opinion we have across the whole book team on those ratings! It's enough to give me a migraine. But those same observations and experiences help us set things as accurately as possible given the whole spectrum of games and at the very least the whole US of A.