Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are some good current mystery/puzzle-solving games?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Good question, but not too much of a mystery here...

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Wouldn't the cheaper ones be more likely to be bootlegs?
    Most likely no in this case. Theresia isn't a "known" title (unlike Resident Evil Deadly Silence, where most of the eBay copies are bootlegs) and while Aksys (not Atlus, as at least one seller has it listed) did a small run of the game, it's entirely possible that some stores that ordered it never sold more than one or two copies since they initially got it. The guy I bought mine from seems to have picked his up at some closeout sale (meaning I probably paid a few bucks more than he did, but I'm OK with that).

Nevertheless, I'd ask the seller if you're unsure. There are a few Hong Kong sellers that deal in nothing but bootlegs (box, cart, manual all wrapped up like new) and I'm surprised ebay hasn't yanked them off the site (well, they are paying their fees on time). Of course, most of these guys have 100% feedback and repeat buyers in the US, but when I see a game that's just come out for $12 plus a reasonable shipping charge, I'm going to be suspicious. Theresia is an older, out of production game with no big reviews or hype, so the price dropping from US sellers looking to get rid of old stock makes sense.

g.

Anyway, If you're still unsure after asking the seller, I can post a pic of my copy when it arrives

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Theresia: the update!

Annnnnd here you go:

My new/sealed copy of Theresia arrived to-day (rather quickly, at that) - pics linked below (the front and back covers of the game, still sealed with another pic with the unsealed with box and its contents):

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

It's an original, that's for sure.

g.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm, Canadian version. Definitely an odd choice for an HK pirate. But where in Canada could it have come from? I've never seen it at Zellers or The Source, and last time I checked it was still darned expensive at EB.

Also, you duplicated your last two links there.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dropped the seller a note aasking where he picked up the games (he had two up for auction) and he says he got them here in the US. Also, the copy of the game still sitting on the shelf at the Gamestop here ($34.99 for a beat up, sticker-covered opened box still being sold as "NEW") is the same version. Of course, other than the manual and back of the case having dual languages, there's nothing different about the game at all.

I'm guessing that the lower-priced copies of the game are indeed old stock that never moved and is getting pushed out the door. I'm thinking he saw them at a closeout outlet or some other dumping ground for bargains. Last time I was in PA, I dropped into an outlet that had a stack of sealed Wii and DS games for anywhere from $4.99 - $9.99

Again, Theresia might be "rare", but it's so unknown thanks to the sole printing and zero PR whatsoever that people who don't know what it is, won't buy it, nice cover art or not. No one is buying the game at EB, GS or anywhere it's selling over $20, so it's not as if someone who wants to get rid of a game that's not selling (no matter how "rare") won't want to just get it out the door at a reduced price.

That said (and switching companies), a few of Atlus' DS RPGs from last year and this year have been insanely inexpensive through a few sources. The Dark Spire has been five bucks for ages at GS, Rondo of Swords is about $10 or less, Knights in the Nightmare was inexpensive a few weeks back (the price has jumped a bit due to the holiday season) and I've seen GBA Rivieras go for around $20 complete.

Whoops on that link - I was sending out a few of them to other folks off this site asking to see scans (I told a few interested friends I was getting the game) so I accidentally pasted in that duplicate here and someone else got two pics of the third scan.

here you go:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by geelw View Post
    Well, the true mark of a bootleg would only be apparent from the back of the cart - but that's okay, I believe it.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)