Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Is Microsoft getting REALLY cheap on us now? Or is it just me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SplashChick View Post
    Well how was I supposed to tell when it follows the same behavior you'd been using in several other topics?
    Ugh, because I haven't been serious from the get go. There was a point to this whole parody, but the only person who needs to see/hear it never will, so I'm just going to chalk the whole thing up to a failed experiment.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo View Post
    Ugh, because I haven't been serious from the get go. There was a point to this whole parody, but the only person who needs to see/hear it never will, so I'm just going to chalk the whole thing up to a failed experiment.
    No, I get it, you're mocking me to try and show me that I was being ridiculous. It doesn't work though, because ridiculous questions don't compare to legitimate requests for evidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No, I get it, you're mocking me to try and show me that I was being ridiculous. It doesn't work though, because ridiculous questions don't compare to legitimate requests for evidence.
    Eh, you're half way there.... good enough for me.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm ready to drop all of this when everyone else is.
    Drop what? Your vendetta against humanity? That's something you'll have to solve yourself, dear. Again, we're not a captive audience for you. I personally don't give a rat's hind quarters as to whether you think we've succumbed to your inscrutable demands.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Drop what? Your vendetta against humanity? That's something you'll have to solve yourself, dear. Again, we're not a captive audience for you. I personally don't give a rat's hind quarters as to whether you think we've succumbed to your inscrutable demands.
    Apparently you do care, because you refuse to let it go, even when I try to. You're the one fueling the drama.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Eco or not, I stumbled across a forum which talks about the cheapness of the case. Yes the Xbox360 DVD case is more likely to get damage.

Link

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    Eco or not, I stumbled across a forum which talks about the cheapness of the case. Yes the Xbox360 DVD case is more likely to get damage.

Link
    It seems these cases aren't what they were cracked up to be.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It doesn't work though, because ridiculous questions don't compare to legitimate requests for evidence.
    Source?

Still Around...Still Gamin'...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    Instead of doing stupid crap that risks damage to the disc, why not just use cases that are only 4 7/8" tall? It was good enough for CD jewel cases... there's no reason DVD cases ever needed to be 7 1/2" tall.

--Zero
    I've had the same thought process since the PS2 designs came out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Well, the cases are manufactured to specifications by the companies that order them, so it is because of Microsoft/Nintendo/any other company that orders custom cases. These aren't generic cases, they're specifically made for these game companies.

The only resource that's being saved is plastic. They're still manufactured the same way, only with a different mold. As I already mentioned, very few of these cases are being thrown out. It's not like with bottled water with the bottles being redesigned, I support that as most of the bottles are being discarded. The cases are meant to be kept.
    It is not about just about recycling the cases vs. throwing them in a landfill. It is about the amount of raw material used to make the product in the first place. If I had my scale handy, I would figure out the exact weight difference between the 2 styles. Even though it is not much, multiply that my the number of DVDs cases that were made just for the new movies that came out last week or this week. It adds up. Less raw materials used, less energy used, and less pollution are good things.

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Well, the cases are manufactured to specifications by the companies that order them, so it is because of Microsoft/Nintendo/any other company that orders custom cases. These aren't generic cases, they're specifically made for these game companies.

The only resource that's being saved is plastic. They're still manufactured the same way, only with a different mold. As I already mentioned, very few of these cases are being thrown out. It's not like with bottled water with the bottles being redesigned, I support that as most of the bottles are being discarded. The cases are meant to be kept.
    I don't think the company behind the ECO-BOXes has been mentioned yet, so here we go: http://www.viva-eco-box.com/about.html. Really, they just came up with the idea to produce these boxes, and the game companies decided to go with it. The same thing happened with a bunch of film companies as well, so they're not really made specifically for the companies.

Whether they can damage the games or not, I won't comment on, but I can, however, comment on people's handling of cases. The main problem with these "new" cases are that people put too much pressure on the cases themselves, when they open them (maybe because they're used to the "old" full-back cases?) and this causes the fibers in the paper-insert to break and tear the insert itself BEHIND the outer plastic. Yes, I've seen it on a LOT of our display cases in the store lately.

Just wanted to chip in on the subject.

EDIT:
    I just went back a couple of pages.. This topic is still about the cases, right?
    Denmark: Home of The Little Mermaid and heavy sarcasm.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I finally got one of those eco-DVD cases and after some examination I've come to the conclusion that the main concern for damage (assuming the item is properly packed for shipping and arrives to you in mint condition) is the potential for the insert to eventually get an indentation pattern where the missing plastic is, much like the way a record jacket gets a record shaped bulge and wear area when stored horizontally.
    That happens with the old cases anyway. Look at a used game shelf and a noticeable number of the inserts will mark out the spots where the clips holding the manual are.

Clearly these cases offer less protection but I don't really think they offer dangerously less protection to the disc itself, just the insert. The insert might see more of that kind of warping but any pressure sufficient enough to puncture the plastic film and the paper insert would probably just pop the disc off the spindle. Unless it's a scissor or knife or something doing the puncturing I don't think the disc is going to be harmed.

Is there less protection? Yes. Are some people overreacting? Yes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I've been watching other people open DVDs/games lately... and a lot of people apply a ton of pressure right on the spot behind the disk/front... like the four fingers are pressed down on both sides and they almost shake the case prying it open with their thumbs. Watch people open them. They're not all as careful as collectors
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I like this picture.

Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    Less raw materials used, less energy used, and less pollution are good things.
    I don't see how less energy is used, they're just using a different mold now so less plastic is injected into it. The machinery still uses the same amount of electricity.

The more fragile the cases, the more will break and be discarded, and the more will need to be produced as replacements. That will completely undo any energy savings made by using less plastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhnFT_as1eU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaBKN4NuLug
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWVJSiaXwxo

Quote Originally Posted by bunnybum View Post
    I don't think the company behind the ECO-BOXes has been mentioned yet, so here we go: http://www.viva-eco-box.com/about.html. Really, they just came up with the idea to produce these boxes, and the game companies decided to go with it. The same thing happened with a bunch of film companies as well, so they're not really made specifically for the companies.
    True, usually a manufacturing company will come up with a prototype and once the company interested in the product approves it, they begin production. If the cases weren't approved, they wouldn't be manufactured.

I said they were custom made for the company because they all stand out. I've only seen green cases used by Microsoft, and the cases for the PS3 aren't used anywhere else. I can't remember if any movies came in white cases though, maybe the white ones aren't just used for Wii games.

It makes sense for the companies to use them, it saves them money and they get better public relations for using that environmental angle as that's what's popular now. It's just not that beneficial to the environment, if at all. Plenty of other companies did the same thing, Coke stopped making bottles that held 600ML and started making them hold 591ML, yet increased the price at the same time as it apparently cost them a lot to redesign the bottles. I remember at the time that they claimed the redesign was to make them look more like the classic glass bottles. I now see the local ice cream containers in the grocery stores contain less ice cream than they used to(I can't remember what they are now, but they used to be 2 Litres), yet the price went from $2.99 to $5.99 within 10 years, etc.

I don't care if they're saving money, I just don't like them claiming it's for the environment when it's really not. They just want to save money any way they can while still charging the same amount to consumers.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Plastic doesn't come from thin air, it has to be produced from raw materials as well. Less of that means less materials used means less energy used on making plastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

Quote Originally Posted by skaar
    I blame Tune for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW View Post
    Quite the troublemaker, that one.
    Ya I started this thread.....what was I thinking?

Also, I've had issues with two....count 'em TWO games with this style design. Note that I only own two games with this style case. One was Tekken 6. It even has a slip sleeve over it to protect the cheaper designed case. SCRATCHED. Replaced at Best Buy. Second disc was fine. Could have been a coincidence. We shall let that slide.

L4D 2 from amazon. SCRATCHED. 2nd game with that style case. Packaged perfectly.

Did I win this argument yet?

I don't care about hippy nonsense such as the environment. Bottom line, it saves them money. I like my shit in mint condition. OCD FTW.
    Last edited by Eternal Tune; 12-28-2009 at 08:47 PM.
    RIP Kamino. 1984-2010. Yes, yes I do like nes...

<+skaar> Maybe you should ask yourself "What is it about me that makes men not want to let me penetrate them?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

My copy of Dead Space has this type of case. I don't like that the disc is less protected, but the plastic they save from these cases could probably make an entire case out of five of the punches from them. So less plastic=less landfill. But, I wish they took it out of the areas around the disc instead of from under it. Kinda lame, but good too.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy8490 View Post
    So less plastic=less landfill.
    I keep seeing people saying this. But these cases are meant to store your games in permanently. So who exactly is throwing them into landfills?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I keep seeing people saying this. But these cases are meant to store your games in permanently. So who exactly is throwing them into landfills?

Have you been to the Gamestop used bins? They are getting better, but you still see lots of loose 360 games around
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting