Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Seriously, I HATE GameStop.

This is a "Cool Story Bro" moment, I admit. It's about me picking up Marvel vs Capcom LE/CE edition for PS3 without preordering it.

I tried preordering this game, but unfortunately I was unable to because the system refused any more pre-orders. However, the associate I know, which I will call Becky, knew I wanted the game, so she placed me "on hold" in case someone cancels their order.

So I went today and noticed that Becky was not working at the time, but instead, two assholes from another store (transferred from a very BAD store) were there. I ask them "By any chance, is there a LE/CE version of the PS3 available?" The assholes say "NO SORRY MAN" with an arrogant attittude. I found this odd, but I decided to leave and call Becky later on.

So I did. 45 minutes later, I got in contact with her and she checked...someone DID cancel the game earlier during the day and the assholes lied to me. She placed it on hold and sice it was close to work (two minute walking distance in the same mall), I ran over there as fast as I could. Becky and the two idiots were there. I talked to Becky and she takes out the copy on hold for me. The idiots look at me badly, and Becky hands the game to one of them to sell to me. The idiot asks me "YOUR NAME PLEASE" and I told them that I was going to buy it without preordering it. He tells me "YOU CANNT BUY IT BECAUSE YOU DID NOT PREORDER". I tell him that Becky checked and one was cancelled. He got angry and went to talk to Becky and she confirmed the cancellation. Pissed off, he starts the transaction and I ask if any preorder goodies were included. He says "NO YOU DO NOT GET THE BOOK BECAUSE ITS ONLY FOR THOSE WHO PREORDERED". I said fine and paid. I went to Becky only to find out that the preorder goodie was a decal/sticker and that the book was included.

While leaving, I noticed the pricks were looking at me badly. My guess is that I went over their heads to someone with higher power. They sure have great customer satisfaction skills.... *sigh*

Seems the assholes wanted it for themselves. Pricks. Thankfully, I will blast them when I do the survey thing...see how long they last after consecutive bad experiences.

Yes, the capitals are in my post because the assholes were actually raising their voices at me, many times in disgust.

Assholes. Becky awesome, though.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post

This is a "Cool Story Bro" moment, I admit. It's about me picking up Marvel vs Capcom LE/CE edition for PS3 without preordering it.

I tried preordering this game, but unfortunately I was unable to because the system refused any more pre-orders. However, the associate I know, which I will call Becky, knew I wanted the game, so she placed me "on hold" in case someone cancels their order.

So I went today and noticed that Becky was not working at the time, but instead, two assholes from another store (transferred from a very BAD store) were there. I ask them "By any chance, is there a LE/CE version of the PS3 available?" The assholes say "NO SORRY MAN" with an arrogant attittude. I found this odd, but I decided to leave and call Becky later on.

So I did. 45 minutes later, I got in contact with her and she checked...someone DID cancel the game earlier during the day and the assholes lied to me. She placed it on hold and sice it was close to work (two minute walking distance in the same mall), I ran over there as fast as I could. Becky and the two idiots were there. I talked to Becky and she takes out the copy on hold for me. The idiots look at me badly, and Becky hands the game to one of them to sell to me. The idiot asks me "YOUR NAME PLEASE" and I told them that I was going to buy it without preordering it. He tells me "YOU CANNT BUY IT BECAUSE YOU DID NOT PREORDER". I tell him that Becky checked and one was cancelled. He got angry and went to talk to Becky and she confirmed the cancellation. Pissed off, he starts the transaction and I ask if any preorder goodies were included. He says "NO YOU DO NOT GET THE BOOK BECAUSE ITS ONLY FOR THOSE WHO PREORDERED". I said fine and paid. I went to Becky only to find out that the preorder goodie was a decal/sticker and that the book was included.

While leaving, I noticed the pricks were looking at me badly. My guess is that I went over their heads to someone with higher power. They sure have great customer satisfaction skills.... *sigh*

Seems the assholes wanted it for themselves. Pricks. Thankfully, I will blast them when I do the survey thing...see how long they last after consecutive bad experiences.

Yes, the capitals are in my post because the assholes were actually raising their voices at me, many times in disgust.

Wow, that really sucks..

The Gamestop I go to holds stuff for me

There's this girl that works there that held 2 PS2 Logitech Contollers for me & both times I bought them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

My only interesting GS story is that I once saw a drugged out stoner trying to sell a stack of obviously stolen games. He was seriously baked and had trouble holding a conversation with the employee, I think they could have offered him just about anything for those games and he would have taken it. I think the employee sensed that something was off too, but he couldn't really do much.

Ok true, I don't actually KNOW for sure that they were stolen, but I seriously doubt that a early 20s something guy owns several disc only copies of kiddie games (one was a Barbie game).

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    How exactly did they rip you off 3 times? Did they steal your games, store credit, or money from you outright? If they've managed to get over on you a total of 3 times now, WHY are you still going back?! Haven't you heard of "Three strikes and you're out!" or the phrase that offers less chances such as "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"? I am genuinely curious how they could have ripped you off more than once. I can understand if you traded in a 3ft tall stack of games and they missed one. I can also understand if they lost a store credit back when it was paper based. I can even understand someone accidentally short changing you at the end of a transaction because they got distracted or transposed some numbers and gave you back .23¢ instead of .32¢. All three of those examples are honest mistakes that could be easily remedied if one was astute and on the ball.

Could it be then, and I'm speculating here, that the scenario you're referring to where they would have allegedly ripped you stems from 3 separate occasions where you took in piles of games/accessories to trade, they pitched you a lowball $XX amount, and you expected a much higher number than the one quoted? If that's the case and you took them up on their offer, then the only person who ripped you off was you. Again, I'm merely speculating, but it's been my experience from years of working behind the counter as well as seeing a bajillion posts online where people would say they were ripped off, after their initial put downs there would usually be some yammering diatribe about their lowball trade in amounts that followed.

Oh you slick fox you! How clever!

If I had a nickel for every time someone did this "trick" I would be a very, VERY rich man. I hate to sound like I'm coming off as condescending but perhaps you should be taking better care of your games in the first place to where they won't get all scratched up and thus necessitate the need to pull off this "trick"? Now if you're finding games in the wild that are a little rough looking but you netted it for a great price, I'd be a little more understanding to your switch-a-roo shenanigans. Still though, I've been in that situation myself and I've passed on games that were too rough as I figured it's just one copy and eventually I'll find a more better looking copy elsewhere for around the same price.

Doing the disc/case/book/insert switch-a-roo qualifies as a scam now? Criminy, if that's the case, I can only imagine the magnitude and labeling pyramid structuring and Ponzi schemes merit then. I realize the disc thing is a little off the cuff but I've NEVER had a problem asking for an instruction book from a case if it was one I needed (which is super stupid rare as I'm very picky about my purchases to begin with). I've done it at stores where I didn't know any of the employees. I always figured the worst they could say to me was no. Even if they did say no, and you did the swap/return, I can't really see myself dressing that scenario up and calling it a scam.

Incidentally, your openness about you say you scam them is a minor concern. I hope your field of employment doesn't include that of a Realtor, financial adviser, or commission based salesperson.

Rape? Seriously? I'm sorry, but that's an incredibly poor choice of words on your part. Having bad experiences with a place that you feel has done you wrong more than once (and yet you still go back) compares not at all, even an inkling, to the incident of rape. -100,000 Internets for you good sir.

Even so, and I'm not even sure how this escapes you, as the consumer YOU have the ultimate power over any retailer. It's your choice whether or not you do business with them. At any point in time where you feel like you're not getting your due, YOU have the ability to stop the deal dead in it's tracks. This isn't like a mortgage or a auto loan where once you've signed on the dotted line you're fighting up uphill legal battle to renege on the contract. This is WAY more simple.

The fact that it needs to be pointed out and the fact that it appears your stance is "Well they're screwing me over, turnabout is fair play" scares me that there are people like you out there. I guess it's too much work and effort to take a little responsibility and be more meticulous about your purchases up front, take care of your property so it remains scratch free, and saying "Fuck NO" to a retailers lowball offer by selling your items on your own via the internet or garage sales for what they're truly worth. I mean come on...we know nothing is YOUR fault right?

I commend thee Flashback...it all makes sense to me

GameStop is a corporation...they are in it to make money...the easiest way to prevent GameStop from ripping you off is to not say YES!

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's always nice to have an "inside" person at places like this. I was that guy for several regulars for a good many years and now that I'm on the "outside", I made sure to build up a rapport with the employees at all of the area stores.

As far as pre-ordering CE/LE versions of games, it's a crap shoot half the time. Sometimes the window of opportunity is so narrow that if you blink, you'll miss it. That's happened to me a couple times since I've stopped working there and I've had to resort to other means to get the game (or rely on my ex co-workers to help me out). On the other hand, I can slightly understand from a corporate standpoint that they don't want to over order on things like that as they're harder to move than their regular edition counterparts sometimes (Halo Reach comes to mind among others). Being that they take up more room as well and that shelf real estate is something of a premium, I can see why they'd be leery to have too many in inventory.

While the concept of the CE/LE has become more popular and mainstream in recent years, by and large the average Joe Gamer who goes there doesn't really give a flip about all of that extra stuff.

So I did. 45 minutes later, I got in contact with her and she checked...someone DID cancel the game earlier during the day and the assholes lied to me. She placed it on hold and since it was close to work (two minute walking distance in the same mall), I ran over there as fast as I could. Becky and the two idiots were there. I talked to Becky and she takes out the copy on hold for me. The idiots look at me badly, and Becky hands the game to one of them to sell to me. The idiot asks me "YOUR NAME PLEASE" and I told them that I was going to buy it without preordering it. He tells me "YOU CANNT BUY IT BECAUSE YOU DID NOT PREORDER". I tell him that Becky checked and one was cancelled. He got angry and went to talk to Becky and she confirmed the cancellation. Pissed off, he starts the transaction and I ask if any preorder goodies were included. He says "NO YOU DO NOT GET THE BOOK BECAUSE ITS ONLY FOR THOSE WHO PREORDERED". I said fine and paid. I went to Becky only to find out that the preorder goodie was a decal/sticker and that the book was included.
    What a jackass. Seriously, there's NO reason to give you any grief about it. There's a procedure to follow and those guys failed at every step. If they actually did want it for themselves then one has to imagine they would have followed their own store's policy and....pre-ordered it?!

Good on you for filling out the survey. I would be careful how you word your comments, make sure you highlight how horrible the mouth breather was who rang you out but also make sure how "Becky" helped you out. I know for a fact that certain well written, profanity-free comments left on feedback are/can be read on conference calls the District Manager has with his store managers. The schmucks might even get a write-up for their callous behavior.

My only suggestion to you is to pay a little closer attention to things like the announcement of things like that. Since you have "Becky" helping you out on the inside, one thing you might want to consider is having "floating" money in their system. At my old store, I never canceled my reserves that I had while I was employed and ever since I've kept canceling and re-reserving other titles to keep the money "floating" in their system. It's not as much of a problem since they did away with the paper system and everything is done electronically. Sure...GS gets a sliver of interest sitting on your money like that but that's a rather small price to pay to help give you one more advantage in getting something you want. I imagine if you found out about something like the MvC3 LE in the future and had reserves in their system, it wouldn't take much more than to give "Becky" a call and have her switch the reserves for you. She won't get stung by the cancel as the re-reserves washes that out. If you ever get low on reserved items, I'm sure she wouldn't complain if you came in and reserved a few more floaters when you have the time and money.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by incubus421 View Post
    I commend thee Flashback...it all makes sense to me

GameStop is a corporation...they are in it to make money...the easiest way to prevent GameStop from ripping you off is to not say YES!
    I don't mind if the corporation is owned by evil demons, as long as the employees are friendly and willing to work, I am ok with it.

But I SERIOUSLY despise GameStop, because in most cases, the employees are half retarded idiots with no sense in customer orientation and satisfaction. It always baffled my mind how they would choose an idiot with a bad demeanor/attitude over a person what WANTS to work and is kind and friendly. I've met some great employees, but in most cases, all lack customer skills and have a bad attitude. WHY IS THIS!?

I would never insult, yell, criticize or just put down the customer, even if they deserve it. I have given constructive criticism in front of the manager, but I try to be as polite as possible. But I would never be a "Squidward", for those who know the reference. If the employee has no interest in working, then they should quit and look for something else. Yeah, they might have to pay bills, put food on the table for their families and what not...it still does not give them the right to make the customer feel like shit.

It's sad too...at the beginning of February, the corporation did a "change" in personnel and only left a few of the old ones. The new people, that were from a location known to have bad customer service, are now here. And my goodness, how things went sour quick. Hopefully, the corporation will catch wind and fire the idiots and bring back the "good ones". But I seriously doubt it.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!