Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Sega Master System games you've played

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I will say there is one that I really like that may come as a surprise but Carmen Sandiego is a favorite of mine on the SMS. Actually I like that game on a lot of classic systems but in the case of the SMS, its a solid and fun "edutainment" title.

One I really don't like but maybe its because I just can't get used to the strange control scheme is Global Defense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I just found the controls in Rampage and Double Dragon to be bad so I didn't keep them,
    I love Rampage. Its my favorite port. I don't know if you did this or not but in general when I play SMS games I use a genesis controller. MUCH better and I found it to be a huge difference in Rampage.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    I love Rampage. Its my favorite port. I don't know if you did this or not but in general when I play SMS games I use a genesis controller. MUCH better and I found it to be a huge difference in Rampage.
    That's probably it, I just used the original controllers. I press up to climb a building and I walk left or right instead. I don't have the game for the SMS anymore, I just have the NES version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Wasn't this on the Turbografx too? If it's the same game I've played the Turbografx version and it wasn't Action 52(NES) bad but it was pretty terrible.
    Yes, Vigilante was also on the Turbo Grafx-16… though that port is infinitely better! Much better playing, controlling, and better looking… over all, Vigilante is average game at best in my feelings, but the Turbo Grafx port, I would recommend and tell people to avoid the Sega Master System port…

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    One I really don't like but maybe its because I just can't get used to the strange control scheme is Global Defense.
    the learning curve is steep, but once getting the hang of it, Global Defense is a fun and rewarding game… It is similar to Missile Command in concept but takes it to a whole new level!

Of note, there is a option to use two controllers in Global Defense… one to move the satellite and one to move the crosshair, but then a method to have both controllers secure and stable become an issue…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    the learning curve is steep, but once getting the hang of it, Global Defense is a fun and rewarding game… It is similar to Missile Command in concept but takes it to a whole new level!

Of note, there is a option to use two controllers in Global Defense… one to move the satellite and one to move the crosshair, but then a method to have both controllers secure and stable become an issue…
    A robotron style scheme would be interesting for that game but the sms used control pads instead of joysticks, making that, as you mentioned, an improbable option. Too bad because it does look like a fun game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SMS (and Game Gear) versions of SMASH TV are just truly and seriously awful. I suppose it's impossible to do a good version of Smash TV without some way to get 8-directional control.

The SNES version is awesome.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hm, not too many for me. The "Great" Sports are pretty much all bad, except Great Soccer -that's playable.

I also didn't like Thunder Blade. Too hard, super choppy.

I never liked Alien Syndrome, because I wanted to like it because of the theme, but it was just brutally hard.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From my memory as a kid I was never fond of Transbot or Super Tennis. Also I remember when I completed Back to the Future (which I didn't enjoy) I was so unimpressed with the ending (I won't spoil it here) that it made me dislike it even more...!!

Re Wonderboy dolls - I'm almost certain that collecting all the dolls opened up secret levels. I remember playing with my brother and sister and we used to play for hours and do a level each and we would always make sure we collected the dolls. Good times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really wanted to like Golden Axe, but it's such a flickering mess that it's hardly playable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

anything real sports sucked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

By long and far, Miracle Warriors.

I don't mind dated RPGS, but I just couldn't get into this one at all; it feels dated even compared to Dragon Warrior. There where many decisions they made in the game's design that are wallbangers to me; like why overworld is shown in a tiny box off to the side so you can have a pointless picture of your characters standing against the background that amounts to nothing in terms of navigation. All in all, it's a poor man's Phantasy Star; the only reason I have it is because I needed something to test my Master System with.

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really don't like Sonic 2. Level design is frustrating (especially the tube maze later on), scrolling is choppy and the physics seem way off. It had some lame gimmicks as well like the hangglider, which also controlled poorly. One of the worst Sonic games.

It's weird how Alien Syndrome was 2-player on NES but not on SMS. Not a terrible game though, just too slow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PentiumMMX View Post
    By long and far, Miracle Warriors.

I don't mind dated RPGS, but I just couldn't get into this one at all; it feels dated even compared to Dragon Warrior. There where many decisions they made in the game's design that are wallbangers to me; like why overworld is shown in a tiny box off to the side so you can have a pointless picture of your characters standing against the background that amounts to nothing in terms of navigation. All in all, it's a poor man's Phantasy Star; the only reason I have it is because I needed something to test my Master System with.
    Miracle Warriors ends up having serious depth that rivals Phantasy Star in every area but dialog. I don't know why they did the graphics the way they did though. I suppose it was due to the fact that "RPG" didn't mean anything at the time and had no constraints like it does today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Miracle Warriors was pretty good, but pretty damn cryptic. I had to manually create a map to make sure I would not get lost, because otherwise, it would be too much of a pain in the ass. My first copy was purchased loose, so you can just imagine how hard it was to actually play and finish the game. I do recall it being hard, but a tad monotonous.

But I had no actual problem with the game. Sure, I liked Golvellius and Phantasy Star more, but that did not mean that it was bad. I always found "Lord of the Sword" un bearable, always due to it's control scheme.

I hated Golden Axe. Looking at static screens, it looked very promising. But once it played...my GOD had bad it looked. Controls were horrid, thanks to how unresponsive and sluggish it felt. Altered Beast wasn't that bad, MUCH more playable than Golden Axe was.

One game people diss alot and I actually enjoyed was Alex Kidd in The Lost Stars. Playing the game what seemed to be twice to actually beat it was silly, and it was quite repetitive, but it had charm, specially one one knew what to do.

Space Harrier 3D was a mess. Why did it feel so choppy, I will never know. The original was much, MUCH better.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    One game people diss alot and I actually enjoyed was Alex Kidd in The Lost Stars. Playing the game what seemed to be twice to actually beat it was silly, and it was quite repetitive, but it had charm, specially one one knew what to do.

Space Harrier 3D was a mess. Why did it feel so choppy, I will never know. The original was much, MUCH better.
    I really like Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars… not bad at all, and I was not aware that people dissed it… sure, it is not Miracle World, but its a good game for what it is… its High Tech World that I believe people bash, and I admit I am one of those, I cannot get into that game…

and in regards to Space Harrier, my feelings and impressions are opposite of yours! I find the original a mess and almost unplayable, and Space Harrier 3-D a much better game in every regard…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    I really like Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars… not bad at all, and I was not aware that people dissed it… sure, it is not Miracle World, but its a good game for what it is… its High Tech World that I believe people bash, and I admit I am one of those, I cannot get into that game…
    I remember reading about people that hated it because it wasn't really a sequel to "Miracle World". Because of this, people started panning it, stating how repetitive it was, unresponsive it was at times (specially jumping over enemies), and how easy it was. However, I never actually mind as I found the game to be quite interesting. True, it wasn't like Miracle World, but it was good nevertheless. I imagine that Sega got some flack out of it and was the reason they released "Enhanced Castle" (since it resembles the gameplay of Miracle World), but even that game was no where as good as "Miracle World"...seemed a bit too silly, IMO.

I never cared for High Tech World since I hated the fact that I had to waste my time gathering map pieces. That, and there really wasn't a purpose for the game. To this day, I've yet to finish it.

Speaking of which, I remember how people used to diss "Zillion II The Triformation", all because it was totally different from the first "Zillion". I loved it! Sure, it was now strictly a platformer/shooter, but it was still pretty good, though VERY hard nearing the end. I think I finished it once, but I don't recall.

and in regards to Space Harrier, my feelings and impressions are opposite of yours! I find the original a mess and almost unplayable, and Space Harrier 3-D a much better game in every regard…

What did you like about Space Harrier 3D? While I don't think it's bad (it's pretty good considering), I actually enjoyed the first one more because of reasons listed previously. Here is a video of Space Harrier and Space Harrier 3D:

Space Harrier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGNvs1O5_qI
    Space Harrier 3D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhH3w...eature=related

I love how much fluid the first Space Harrier is. And because of this fluidity, how responsive (considering) it was. When I played Space Harrier 3D, I loved how the screen scrolled...but that was about it. It was choppy, meaning that the character and game movement was not fluid, and because of this, the controls felt sluggish. I would sometimes fire and/or move, and the game would not "register" the control pad actions. And the game was shorter...and the music wasn't as lively as in the first game. It's still a great game, just lacking gameplay feel, IMO.

Just realized the FM chip was being used on the 3D gameplay...could not find a non FM chip version, unfortunately.
    Last edited by megasdkirby; 03-02-2011 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is something wrong with that Space Harrier 3D video. The actual game floor is much more smooth than that and comes all the way to the bottom of the screen. Also, I can't be sure but I think the sprite transition scaling is smoother in 3D than in the original. I love both games, but Space Harrier 3D always struck me as more refined graphically.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I love both games, but Space Harrier 3D always struck me as more refined graphically.
    Oh, there is no denying that. Graphically, it's much better. It's just the scrolling, responsiveness, and overall gameplay I have an issue with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

it may be just me? I struggle playing SMS Space Harrier… on my bests runs I'm at about 5 million points and only on stage 6-7… I much farther on the Saturn and Turbo Grafx versions… in Space Harrier 3-D, I am able to get far in it as well… my only issues seem to be control and possibly collision detection in SMS Space Harrier? Space Harrier 3-D just feels more responsive for me from my experience - I think I'll play both back to back this evening and see if I can put my finger on what it is that makes me enjoy 3-D much more…

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember liking Miracle Warriors back in the day. I did actually finish it, too, although I had to call a help line to find the hidden location of the final area. It was not shown on screen, you just had to do something like 10 squares up, 4 squares left of some town and then search. Just a random square in the middle of the desert, totally cryptic. That said, I remember enjoying the game.

Then again, I also enjoyed both Golden Axe and Altered Beast on the SMS. My friend had a Genny, so of course I was totally awed by those versions, but I thought the SMS did a pretty good job considering. Haven't played them since, so my glasses may be rose colored. =)
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!