Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Best Finds You Passed Up and Regret Now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ziggy3008

at the flea market in Gloucester, VA, I passed up on a $20 complete sega saturn for some crazy reason. I had the cash and everything, I just didn't take it. Around fifteen minutes later I changed my mind and went back and of course, it was gone. Currently it is the only hardware I am after. FML.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been reading through these stories, and wow. There's a lot of heartache here.

There seems to be a rule - if you're the idiot that passes it up, someone is going to buy it. Guaranteed. Though, I beat this rule ONCE. I must have been 15 years old, and I saw a FACTORY SEALED Final Fantasy for $25 once. I passed it up, because it was $25. I got home, and I realized what an IDIOT I was, and had my mom drive me right back to the store. They still had it, and I bought it. Then, I sold it on eBay for $300, and spent all the money on the original launch of the GameBoy Advance. Then, I hardly played the damn thing, and now it's basically worthless. Whee-hee!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I didn't pass up any specific deals, but there was a place in Jacksonville NC called Thieves Market my parents brought me to when I was younger and we'd go there maybe once a month. I was probably around 14 or so.

Thieves Market was huge. It had a store on one side then a warehouse on the other with even more stuff. The warehouse was full of clothes, movies, half of it was a bunch of electronic appliances, even had a box of various video game magazines for $.25 each which my parents picked those up for me. The other part of the store had a sort of antique appliance and books on one side with clothes on the other and in the very back corner was a large shelf with video games and then a glass panel over it.

The bad thing about this is my parents would buy me anything I want except for video games, and that's really all I cared about. So I would maybe get to buy a game once a month and rarely and it was like once a year for a brand new.

Now the video game section was amazing. It had NES, SNES, Gameboy, and Genesis. At the time I didn't really know about other systems so if there were others there I don't remember. But there were the most NES games. Games that are expensive now would appear there all the time. NES, GB, and Gamegear were $5 each and SNES games were $10 each. Some of these I owned so I didn't get my parents to pick them up(since I only had a choice of one game) others I saw but I chose something else. Final Fantasy Legend(I remember this one had the box,) Secret of Mana, the FF series, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia, and complete Earthbound(I remember this one had a sticker on it of $20.) Those are the most notable ones, me being an RPG fan.

Now the thing I regret. After awhile we stopped going there, or atleast my parents stopped asking me if I wanted to go. Around when I got in high school. After I got a job though I never asked my parents about the place. I really should have, because if it was still as much of a video game gold mine as when I went there when I was younger then I could tell you all the money I got would have been going into cleaning that place out on a weekly basis.

I live in Florida now. Moved from NC when I was 18. I wonder if the place is even still there.

*edit*

I Googled Thieves Market and came up with a lot of hits from stores in different areas. Maybe it's still around.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-22-2010 at 12:04 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Swamp Thing (Nes) loose for 8
    Mario's Time Machine (Nes) loose for 8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Several years back I was at FYE and they were selling sealed GBA games. One that caught my eye was Castlevania: Circle of The Moon. It was either priced $19.99 or $14.99 and I thought that it should have been priced $9.99 so I passed on it. If only I would have known then what that game can go for sealed now. I should have just picked it up but I didn't and now I'll probably never get it for that price again.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

Kyukyoku Tiger II Plus Saturn on ebay, 1 year before I got my Saturn, priced $14.99 complete. Yeah try finding it for that cheap now. >_<

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A complete in box Song Dual Analog controller for $15. Much regret there.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just remembered something else. Back in '99 I worked overnight as a stocker at Toys R Us during the holidays. They still had bins of Snes and Genesis games. The more noteworthy titles like Contra 3 and Super Castlevania IV were still marked at $30 each so I passed on them. I should have picked them all up since I could have sold them for triple that just a few short years later. The only decent priced games for the Snes were the Super Star Wars series(all for $5 each) and Contra: Hard Corps for the Genesis($1.99 each). I snatched those up and was waiting for the rest to go down in price but they never did. I don't know where they ended up because I'm pretty sure they didn't sell at that price, atleast not during the holiday season when I was there.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Years ago, official Dreamcast Maracas were marked down to $10 at Best Buy. Didn't have a Dreamcast at the time, but still contemplated buying a set. Wish I had (and picked up a second set!), since the Dreamcast would soon become one of my favorite systems.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I passed on an NES Classic Edition GBA SP. It was at FYE for about $80.00, and I'd looked at it all the time, every week I was in the mall that it was in. It was quite a few years ago, I believe it was the year after it was released. I passed on it because I already had one, but I really wish that I would have bought it, because the one that I have has a little bit of wear on it, now, and it was also a gift. I would have kept the original gift one as a collectible and just played the other one. Or kept both stored away and just used my original onyx GBA SP.

The funny thing is that when I decided to just get the darn thing, the store actually had actually closed down!

It's not the most sought after item or anything, but it really bothers me that I didn't purchase it when I had the chance.

My wife actually pushes me to purchase games that I'm on the fence about when she knows that it's something that I'll really want, but I'm being cheap about it.

She pushed me to purchase my PC Engine Duo-R system. It was about $255.00 and came with 3 6-button controllers, an Arcade Card, a Memory Bank card, about 12 games that I actually cared about, a few more than I didn't really care that much about, a power converter, and about 40 CD-r copied TGCD games (mostly of the rarer ones, like Sapphire and Rondo of Blood) with custom made cases inserts.

She also convinced to me purchase a lot of Saturn import games, for about $140.00. It contained Radiant Silvergun, Dracula X, Vampire Savior, and a few decent others titles I don't remember right off. It may have been scooped up moments later is I hadn't. It worked out to around $30 or so a game, including the shipping.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 01-22-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember when I was 8 years old. My dad worked for Panasonic and was a manager of the US 3DO stuff.

I had about 2 or 3 of each variation of the console, including A PROTOTYPE VERSION which we only had one of. We also had 5 or 6 big boxes stuffed with factory sealed games. Every single game released, or that was planned to be released and never was resided in those boxes.

He asked me if I wanted any of them since he got to keep everything when he left panasonic, but I was young and dumb.

HE THREW THEM OUT.
    EVERYTHING.

If anyone. ANYONE can beat giving up a complete 3DO collection. With about 20 or 30 consoles, a prototype console, and prototype games. FOR FREE.

Please share.

...all thats left is a copy of Gex and Crash n' Burn... We had one console, but he threw that out too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanwhile View Post
    I remember when I was 8 years old. My dad worked for Panasonic and was a manager of the US 3DO stuff.

I had about 2 or 3 of each variation of the console, including A PROTOTYPE VERSION which we only had one of. We also had 5 or 6 big boxes stuffed with factory sealed games. Every single game released, or that was planned to be released and never was resided in those boxes.

He asked me if I wanted any of them since he got to keep everything when he left panasonic, but I was young and dumb.

HE THREW THEM OUT.
    EVERYTHING.

If anyone. ANYONE can beat giving up a complete 3DO collection. With about 20 or 30 consoles, a prototype console, and prototype games. FOR FREE.

Please share.

...all thats left is a copy of Gex and Crash n' Burn... We had one console, but he threw that out too.
    Holy shit dude...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanwhile View Post

HE THREW THEM OUT.
    EVERYTHING.

Please share.

Dude!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Here's a few more of mine from recent memory:

Back in summer 2008, when Gamestop was running their Game Days sale, one of the games that they had available was Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES, which had been out for a month or two at that point, for the low price of $15. I had heard a lot of good things about the original version, and one of the employees (Who knew I liked RPGs) recommended it to me...but I wasn't sure if I'd really like it. As the sale drew to a close and they offered even deeper discounts on remaining games, I decided to finally pick it up...only to find that they where now sold out.

After years of wanting to try it, and finally having the money to do so, I splurged and bought it used for $30 when I stumbled onto a copy at the very same Gamestop in late 2010. It would have been nice to get it for $15 (During the last few days of that sale, it would have been roughly $10), but I feel it was worth every penny I paid to get it.
    --
    This one actually wasn't too long ago as of writing this. Shortly after getting a free Sega Master System and getting it working, I was looking into finally getting a copy of Phantasy Star, as well as checking the pricing on the other 3 games in the original series. While looking, I found a copy of Phantasy Star II for $10 on Amazon Marketplace; complete in box with the map and Hint Book (Which everybody seems to lose those two items), with the only flaw the seller described was that there was some writing in pencil on the map, in the instructions, and in the hint book. However, I decided to put it off getting it until I got my next paycheck, which was less than a week away; though I had enough money to buy it right then, I decided it was better to wait a few days to order it than to jump on it now and find myself needing that money for something more important a few days later.

Thus, once payday came around, I went back on to see if it was still available. Sadly, it was already gone by then; the next cheapest copy equally as complete is $40.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I passed up buying Panzer Dragoon Saga when Toys R' Us was clearing them out for $20. I already had the game and had no idea where I could sell it, since ebay wasn't around back then.

I passed up on a Sega CDX and X'Eye selling at Best Buy for $30 each. I'd just recently (at the time) sold my Sega CD and games collection to buy Saturn games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) japancollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

rockman world for the gameboy brandnew 1-5 set for 80$ on japan yahoo in 2007 all new

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    crazydrunk87

Conker's bad fur day ...4 dollars at a flea market sale
    www.ccagshow.com

Classic Console and Arcade Gaming Show
    Cleveland, Ohio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Suikoden II complete, mint.

Twice for $5.00 on two separate occasions. Oh, to have had the internet back then.

Insert Coin (Level 0) theredlineboss's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't say I've passed on anything that I should have picked up (or that I regreted for very long)...except a Space Invaders arcade cabinet. The monitor didn't work and it was $100, but I still wish I had grabbed it.

-Rob
    Console Collection:
    TeleGames Super Pong, 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, Intellivision, ColecoVision, TurboGrafx, 3DO, Master System, Genesis/ CD/ 32x, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, 64, Gamecube, Wii, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Game Gear, Lynx, GB, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GBM, DS, 3DS, NGP, NGPC, WonderSwan & PSP

Insert Coin (Level 0) QuickSciFi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back then between 1999-2002, my local Toys R Us was getting rid of so much awesome merchandise for "real low cheap."

Stuff I regret not buying: (not that I could have bought any of it anyways. )

1. Sega Model 2 - $20 (I ended-up getting one, but I should've gotten many more)
    2. Sega Model 3 - $20 (I also got one, but I should've bought more)
    3. Sega Nomad - $50
    4. Sega CDX - $100
    5. Sega Saturn - $50
    6. Sega Dreamcast Maracas - $10 (I got one, but should've bought more)
    7. Sega Dreamcast Seaman - $10 (also got one, should've bought more)

Later on, on eBay and other sites, lots of sealed Nomads went for $50-100. I regret not having purchased one of them.

They were also getting rid of lots of cardboard boxed Castlevania Bloodlines for $5 each. I did get one that I still have sealed (worth around $50 now), but I know I should've gotten more also. This is because in 2008, I ended-up having to sell a lot of my merchandise, and the first stuff that went were my Samba de Amigo maracas (which I got from Sears), the game, Seaman and a sealed DC racing wheel (all from Sears). I could've spared me the trouble. I should've known. Now I know I must get them back, but they won't be very "sealed" anymore.
    Last edited by QuickSciFi; 04-22-2011 at 01:58 AM.