Thread: Add Scanlines to HDTVs with New Device

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No. If they were bright white lines that were displaying all day, then you might be concerned. But they are the complete opposite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zapf View Post
    No. If they were bright white lines that were displaying all day, then you might be concerned. But they are the complete opposite.
    Exactly, in the black state you are completely fine. But I too am curious about this device, I really do miss playing sharp looking retro games instead of the blur-fest that is my HDTV.

So I am assuming that I could just buy a composite/svideo to vga converter to play my classic systems with this? Has anyone bought one of these?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure noone who currently has this is starting out with a composite signal. They are instead taking an RGB video signal out of their console, through an upscaler, into the slg. I seriously don't think its going to be worth the money if you start with poor quality video - it can cover up some problems with a lower quality upscaler, but not THAT much.

Before investing in an SLG3000, you should:
    - Do a search on these forums and on google for getting an RGB signal out of your console, there have been several threads discussing it.
    - Get yourself an upscaler. The cheapest is the cga/vga upscaler you can get on ebay, though that will need to be modified to accept a SCART input. Plenty of tutorials and discussion on that on the shmups forum and other sites. http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic...=35423&start=0. There are other options available, heres some info on upscalers: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ . You only need to upscale to 640x480, your tv can handle the rest, and the scanlines applied to a 640x480 output look more authentic.