Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next Generation Console Prices

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    No one saw the PS3 being the price that it was.
    Really? Hardware bc with the PS2. Bluray which was brand new tech at the time. Bluetooth compatibility, hdmi, wireless, USB inputs, memory stick slots. Let's not forget the architecture of the console. The first 360s didn't have HDMI, and 360s are without wireless standard, launching at $399.

It was obvious it was going to be way more expensive than the 360, though.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

My opinons:

PS4 & Xbox 720/: $399

WiiU: $299

If Nintendo goes any higher than that they'll blow the lead they already have.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This may be a big departure from reality, but I think consoles could go the cell-phone business model route. Sony and MS have both already taken steps in that direction, why not go all the way? Subscription service which subsidizes the hardware. Xbox Live 3.0... free arcade games and DLC, matchmaking, clan/stat services, dedicated servers, cloud storage, streaming options, $30-$40 per month, 2 year commitment. Sell the console for $99. Still have retail boxed games for $60, but subscribers can opt to "install" them to their cloud and stream to their device. OnLive meets Xbox Live.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Really? Hardware bc with the PS2. Bluray which was brand new tech at the time. Bluetooth compatibility, hdmi, wireless, USB inputs, memory stick slots. Let's not forget the architecture of the console. The first 360s didn't have HDMI, and 360s are without wireless standard, launching at $399.

It was obvious it was going to be way more expensive than the 360, though.
    And we all know how well that $600 price tag helped Sony...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dobie View Post
    This may be a big departure from reality, but I think consoles could go the cell-phone business model route. Sony and MS have both already taken steps in that direction, why not go all the way? Subscription service which subsidizes the hardware. Xbox Live 3.0... free arcade games and DLC, matchmaking, clan/stat services, dedicated servers, cloud storage, streaming options, $30-$40 per month, 2 year commitment. Sell the console for $99. Still have retail boxed games for $60, but subscribers can opt to "install" them to their cloud and stream to their device. OnLive meets Xbox Live.
    I believe this may be the direction the market is heading. Just look at the prices for a Radeon 6970/6990 and NVidia's GTX 580/590, they are ultra expensive. Unless MS and Sony come out with their own custom video hardware (highly unlikely), I can't imagine the hardware being sold anywhere near the price to manufacture it. The average consumer probably won't even notice the improvement in graphics provided by the hardware, so MS and Sony will have to entice buyers with online content and services. They'll have to market it as an online service console, or all in one set-top box. The online services market is the reason why MS got into the console business, not necessarily as a game console manufacturer.

But.....we won't see a PS4 or Xbox 720 until 2014. Sony and MS are already relying on sales through PSN and LIVE to keep the current consoles going.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20056046-17.html

Quote Originally Posted by CNET
    If you're hoping for the Xbox 720 or the PlayStation 4 to arrive anytime soon, prepare to be disappointed.

Citing "industry sources," video game blog Kotaku reported yesterday that Microsoft and Sony aren't planning to release follow-ups to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 until 2014. One of the blog's sources said that Microsoft hasn't even decided which components its next console will offer when it eventually launches.

If both Microsoft and Sony wait until 2014 to release new machines, it would mark a dramatic shift in the way console makers have structured launch schedules.

Microsoft's senior director of Xbox product management, David Hufford, indicated last year at the Consumer Electronics Show that his company is on the same page as Sony. And with the release of Microsoft's motion-gaming peripheral Kinect in November, the company was potentially able to extend the life of its console.

"I think it's important to say that the Xbox 360 is the console of the long future for us," Hufford said before an audience at CES. "There is no need to launch a new console because we're able to give this console new life either with software upgrades or hardware upgrades like Project Natal. The Xbox 360 was designed for a long life, and I don't even know if we're at the midpoint yet."

I can't imagine the Wii U being inexpensive, like the Wii. You're looking at a console that has a controller that is almost an iPad, and even the last gen iPad is $400.

What about the Wii?
    Although Kotaku's sources didn't mention the Wii, many industry watchers believe that Nintendo will be launching a successor to its motion console later this year. Nintendo hasn't said a word about what its next console will offer or even when it might hit store shelves.

Not everyone is convinced that a new Wii would even sell all that well if it did hit store shelves in 2011. In an interview with IndustryGamers earlier this year, Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter said that the chances of the Wii 2 succeeding after a late 2011 launch would be slim. One of the key additions would be HD suppport, which the Xbox 360 and PS3 have had since launch. Pachter sees Nintendo as jumping aboard that train much, much too late.

"I just think Nintendo's blown it; I think by the time they launch [their next console] if it's Christmas 2011, it's two years too late, and for sure one year too late," Pachter said in the interview. "So it's over--I don't think they can ever recover. Wii sales will continue to decline and I think Wii 2 will not sell well."
    Last edited by Gamevet; 07-25-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've almost given up on games completely.
    as for over $100 for a Bran-New Game, and over $100 for pre owned games this is just getting Ridicules. EB Australia. ((thats why i import from UK :P))
    Day light robbery it what it is, here in AU anyways.

I Agree Nintendo did Screw up by Announcing the wii U way to early,
    and Nintendo did not give me a good reason to buy the Wii U when it was reviled.
    I'd rather wait and get a 720 if it has total Xbox 360 BC.
    ((would buy another 360 but it'll proberbly RROD, gone through 2 360's so far not buying another.))
    nothing yet to play on the wii u at launch i can see apart from my wii games.
    (

one of the industries problems is people don't buy lots of games or consoles cause their to expensive, New Games should be the prices of New DVDs. not $60 or over $100.
    ((That is if they are still using Discs.))
    Next gen Consoles should Drop Discs and go to External Drive Media For Storing Games
    such as a couple of gig Flash drives act, so we don't have to worry about scratching discs any more. Discs are starting to feel old and can be accidentally Ruined to easily
    or Screwed in the disc drive. ((my xbox360 killed a few discs before it finally RROD'd.

I'm expecting the next lot of consoles to be in the $399-$600 range,
    considering Last gen consoles still selling at $300+
    ((Xbox 360 and PS3.))
    Last edited by Snesguy666; 08-01-2011 at 06:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

If they do go that route (which I hope they don't, personally), they should come up with a new pricing scheme or they won't be able to peddle their crap to anyone. From what I have seen the prices for digital versions of games are on par with physical. This is an insult to the consumer IMHO, because there is nothing tangible, yet we are still paying the same high prices. If they were to go to an all-digital release there would be instant savings to them, which I would hope they would pass on (at least some of it) to the consumer. Obviously, their goal is the bottom line, BUT if no one buys their crap they are finished anyway. Could greed cause another video game market crash?

Quote Originally Posted by Snesguy666 View Post
    Next gen Consoles should Drop Discs and go to External Drive Media For Storing Games
    such as a couple of gig Flash drives act, so we don't have to worry about scratching discs any more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My best guess is prices will probably be similar to what the current consoles were at their launch? The Wii U will almost certainly be $299 max cuz Nintendo probably won't get away with charging more than that. Sony has hopefully learned their lesson from over pricing the PS3 and will keep the next playstation at $399 max. I think Microsoft will keep their price in line with Sony. Blu ray technology is dirt cheap now so if it remains the disc format for the time being, I can't see that adding to the cost of any console that uses it? The things I can see adding significant cost to the next generation of consoles is a new disc format, flash or SSD storage, or if R and D costs go higher, but hopefully these things won't happen?!
    Last edited by duffmanth; 08-01-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

another video game crash could happen, but not likely,
    prices would have to be put through the roof to say $700-$900 for the consoles and no one will buy then cause no one will be able to afford them and costs of production would have to be so high that early price cuts would sell at a loss their-fore we will have a market crash.

Im going for the NON RW 3-5 gig SD or Flash cartridge based storage,
    as for digital download I personally try to stay away for their are to many issues and some companies would have put into their license agreement schemes where if your HDD or SD card dies you have to "Buy" another one rather them re-download for free,
    most retailers today in stores Replace discs for free, I've always been suss on downloading games.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snesguy666 View Post
    as for digital download I personally try to stay away for their are to many issues and some companies would have put into their license agreement schemes where if your HDD or SD card dies you have to "Buy" another one rather them re-download for free
    I dislike digital download, but this isn't true at all. Both the 360, PS3, and probably the Wii as well but I honestly don't know, allow you to redownload anything you've purchased already as many times as you want. Even betas are still downloadable, even though you can't play them any longer as the server is no longer open.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

Playstation still regrets coming out with the high ps3 prices, I say they try to undercut microsoft. And the wii better be cheap if they plan to sell any systems after the recent performance of the old wii.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My opinons:

WiiU: $349:99
    Ps 4: $399:99
    Xbox 720: $449.99