Thread: Which consoles have the highest/lowest concentrations of good games?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atariguy View Post
    As for worst, I'd have to say that just about any dominant system could qualify for this, from the 2600 to the NES to the Playstation. We tend not to notice, since we tend to only think about the good stuff, but even in their heyday, the libraries of these systems were mostly made up of half-assed crap
    Yeah, some people forget about some of the horrid feces released on the PlayStation, like Spice World, Teletubbies, Flintstones Bowling, Tail of the Sun, Spec Ops, Mortal Kombat Special Forces, etc.

Same goes for the NES: Winter Games, Dash Galaxy, Wayne's World, Karate Champ, Tag Team Wrestling, Hatris, Ghostbusters, Total Recall, Ikari Warriors II, etc.

The more popular a game console is, the more junk is released for it.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 09-14-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, some people forget about some of the horrid feces released on the PlayStation, like Spice World, Teletubbies, Flintstones Bowling, Tail of the Sun, Spec Ops, Mortal Kombat Special Forces, etc

No, I took those into account. PS1 is still higher percentage.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Spec Ops
    I actually enjoyed Spec Ops Stealth Patrol. Sure it might be one of the hardest games on the console, but the game had good decent control, great graphics, etc. If you can actually get into the game it's pretty fun.

It might not have been a great game, and that's mainly due to the difficulty, but it certainly wasn't a bad game.

Covert Assault wasn't bad either, but when everyone says "Spec Ops" it's safe to assume they're talking about Stealth Patrol. Usually the only one people have played.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-15-2011 at 01:05 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I have much, much love for the PlayStation, but even I wouldn't say it has a particularly good crap to quality ratio. It was the first system to have a metric shit ton of games, which equals, well, a ton of shit. It's like, take the NES, SNES, or Genesis library, which already have a fair number of stinkers, and then add on another 500 games, most of which being shovelware. There's a huge wealth of great games, no doubt, but so much trash too. Like, look at the long boxes, fun to collect and interesting historically, but not a whole lot of games in there worth playing these days, now that hype is no longer a factor. And that set is, what, over 100 games?
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 09-15-2011 at 02:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Like, look at the long boxes, fun to collect and interesting historically, but not a whole of games in there worth playing these days, now that hype is longer a factor. And that set is, what, over 100 games?
    It has StarBlade in there, so that instantly makes it worthwhile. Ridge Racer, Descent, Krazy Ivan... but StarBlade Alpha would be enough for me.

For best ratio though, I have to agree with Atariguy, it's gotta be the Vectrex. Everything on that system is fun and at least functional enough to get some enjoyment out of. The only games I haven't cared for on the hardware were all homebrews.

Lowest concentration I'd go with Game Boy Color, just so much crap against a handful of great games, in which a handful of those were remakes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Same goes for the NES: Winter Games, Dash Galaxy, Wayne's World, Karate Champ, Tag Team Wrestling, Hatris, Ghostbusters, Total Recall, Ikari Warriors II, etc.
    I'm still convinced people hate that game (both on the NES as well as the arcade) because they don't know how to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    Now the firewalls:
    ** PlayStation
    At 1240+ plus games, there are a LOT of overlapping genres, especially in the sports department. However, this was prime rivalry turf - it's where the dividing lines began to separate and EA began to lose ground on the sports market. Game Day and NBA Shoot Out were now over-selling Madden and Live in certain years. There may have been a lot of sports titles, but there were a lot of GREAT sports titles. There's really not that many truly "bad" PSone games. On the other hand...

****PlayStation 2
    Is where things started to fall apart. Suddenly JRPGs started to all look alike. Legendary series were suddenly going in weird directions (Final Fantasy X's straight line travel, 3DO's horribly over-use of game assets and sequels, EA begins the exclusive assault and removes competitive game series rivalries after ESPN 2K5 sells amazingly well, etc), and there were too many companies trying to cash in on the wonder machine.

In effect, the PS2 was the original Wii - you need only look at the amount of budget title releases and flood of licensed games near the end of it's life cycle to see the same pattern. The only difference is the Imagine Series wasn't brought to the table.
    I completely agree with this and was just talking about it with a co-worker yesterday. I really haven't been as enthusiastic about a gaming era since during the time of the original PlayStation. Don't know what it is exactly, maybe everything is just starting to look the same to me.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 09-15-2011 at 01:49 AM.